Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenfish1234

Help!! I hate the way my tile guys laid my brick (shocker I know)

greenfish1234
8 years ago
My brick mud/entry was supposed to have 1/4" grout lines. This am I showed up and they said that it wouldn't work (something about the center line I think, which sounds more like a tile thing than a brick thing) and they had to go tighter. I came back to see this. The bricks are TOUCHING one another. I am devastated. It looks more like a dry patio than a brick entry and I feel like it is way too busy. There is no grout yet, but how much will that help?? And won't it be flush with the top of the brick now? What do I do?? Inspiration pic last

Comments (39)

• fordhammsw
    8 years ago

One more observation to point out: Doing it properly requires a diagonal trim on the brick that are directly next to the border.

• acm
    8 years ago

Good catch, fordhammsw
    I was going to note that (a) less grout is actually less busy, and (b) there are still cracks to fill to make it flush and solid. But I guess you should address the pattern issue first. (Eep, I pity all involved, as that looks like a big project! but there's always something...)

• Sarah D
    8 years ago

I certainly understand your frustration. It's important that you get what you originally wanted, and if you don't think you can live with this, then you need to get the installers back to redo it; however, I am not recommending that for many reasons. Instead, I think you might come to appreciate the smaller grout lines, as cleaning will be easier, there will ultimately be less staining of the grout, and it will be a little bit easier to walk on. I think it looks awesome and will look even better when grouted!!

• greenfish1234
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks. I actually opted for the change in pattern but the spaces at killing me. I did not show them my pic but we did discuss 1/4". How enormous of a job is it to remove and redo??
  • acm
    8 years ago

You should get what you asked for. It's not the customer's problem to worry about how long things take -- rather, the contractor should contact you when he thinks he's about to change the agreed plan. He hoped for some reason that you wouldn't object to a fait accomplit.

• greenfish1234
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I was hoping the grout WOULDNT be flush with the bricks, but rather look more like real mortared brick where the face of the brick is more prominent. I don't see how this is possible here.

• stewy2you
    8 years ago
    Sorry but that is unacceptable. It looks like an outdoor patio.
  • greenfish1234
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Ugh I know stewy!! Of course the tilers have been so slow and late that now fixing this will seriously set me back (hard for other crews to work w them there). They swear it will look like 1/4" when it is grouted because the tops are rounded, but I doubt it. I asked them to let me see a small section grouted this morning. I am really bummed.
  • PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    8 years ago
    I'm glad you are doing a sample. I suspect there will be a lot more visible grout than you think. Fingers crossed!
  • miacometlady
    8 years ago
    May I add I don't like the direction of the pattern. The 'apex' of the brick design would look better pointing to the door.
  • greenfish1234
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I don't mind the pattern although I do in retrospect wish I had done it that way. I also canned the border but now think it would have added interest. Still in the end it is the spacing!!
  • greenfish1234
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Before I talk to them: can any tilers weigh in on how big a deal it is to pull up and redo? Do I lose all or most of the brick? Is it essentially a demo? If so, it is big area rugs for this girl.
  • smit2380
    8 years ago

I am not a pro-tiler, but have made pro-tilers rip out tile they laid in a pattern that I hated (before grout). It is a demo. The tile (and I am guessing brick) is attached with thinset. It has to all be chipped back up, and the product generally cannot be reused. If you hate it after you see the test grout area, I would still make the start over because you are going to be living with it for a long time.

• greenfish1234
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    That's what I was afraid of. It's rug shopping time. I was so excited about this floor. I'm sure the grout will help a bit but it will never be what it could have been. Building is such a lesson in acceptance. I will try to post pics, including the final rugged fix!!
  • greenfish1234
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Ok. Deep breath. It is waaaay better w the grout. Will try to post.
  • PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    8 years ago

Yay! Renovations are stressful, everything feels so urgent. I hope that this turns into something you can laugh about later.

• miacometlady
    8 years ago

I didn't realize the brick was set or I wouldn't have posted the alternative design... sorry greenfish.

• greenfish1234
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Not at all, miacomet-I prefer honesty to tact! I actually chose this pattern because of one of your inspiration photos, but in hindsight I think it works best with fatter brick. It is still not ideal but I will survive once there are rugs and furniture.
  • lefty47
    8 years ago

HI -- I am going to go against the grain on this one ... I like this so far and actually think once it is grouted it will look better than the inspiration photo . My only concern is the trim edge and how that is being done . You are looking at an unfinished project . I don't like so much grout showing and I think that makes it look like a DIY job . This I think will look more refined and more for an interior than an outdoor patio . I think they did a great job , the pattern is consistent and straight and has a good mix of colors and looks level . And it is probably too late to change to match the example photo anyway . I really don't see a problem here .

• greenfish1234
    Original Author
    8 years ago

thanks Lefty-you are with my mother and husband on this one. They did do a professional job, no doubt about that.

• ccclaxton
    8 years ago

I LIKE it ! It is not the "same 'ol -- same 'ol" ---- i.e, it's different ! The pattern would look awesome on a bigger area too.

From the perspective of the front door -- notice how the pattern looks like arrows pointing into the house and also pointing toward the door? A subtle message for guests when they arrive -- "come on in" --- and then when it's time to leave -- "this way out."

Often the 'screw ups' that I get so upset about turn out to be something I would have chosen to begin with had I known how the completed project would look. Somehow I never remember this while I'm having a meltdown & going berserk because a project has deviated from my expectations.

I have literally stumbled onto unique, one-of-a-kind results this way and received many compliments on the outcome. Sometimes, I even let them think it was my plan from the beginning! ;o)

• greenfish1234
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    "Meltdown," "berserk?" Me? Why I never!
  • tati
    8 years ago

Always be present for a tile or hardwood floor job. I have prevented many wrong tile or hardwood floor job completions that were started on a "wrong foot" that way. It must be very frustrating for the contractor having to do it over again.

• loblolly55
    8 years ago

Thin grout in between any tiles in my opinion is better simply because grout is sandy, course and picks up dirt like crazy, which then makes the pattern off because the grout in the main walking area will be darker than the cleaner grout on the sides. Otherwise, you will be on your knees scrubbing the grout to get it clean. Observe tile floors in fast food places - they use wide grout lines...ick... I used normal grout lines on tile I laid at my back door and with the tile being a lighter color, the grout is a real pain to look at, clean, etc., and I do cover it with a rug:)

However, there is one thing I want to mention to anyone doing tile work - there is a grout that is made of fine, round glass beads, comes in colors, goes better with glass tiles, not as opaque as cement type grout. Dries hard as nails. More expensive, but every time I look at the backsplash of glass tiles I did in my bathrooms, I wish I'd have gone the glass bead route. Oh, well, live and learn.

• PRO
    Options In Granite
    8 years ago

Wow glad it seems to all have worked out!

• PRO
    Premier Tile
    8 years ago

Most truly professional tile setters that follow TCNA standards, and have years of experience
    know what is best in layout and grout joint sizing for the materials. Start with qualified installers, listed on the NTCA website .
    The key situation here was lack of communications, as is typical. We are not mind readers.
    However, if there is any doubt about the design have your installers do a mock up or a dry lay out , where you can see and discuss the pros and cons.
    Job looks great to me and I somehow knew you were going rug shopping anyway.
    There are also many sealants and enhancers on the market which would make these bricks pop. Also new grouts that are stain proof ie. epoxies and new urethane premixed.

• PRO
    DeSantis & Domb Interior Designs
    8 years ago

I have to jump in here just to tell you it looks absolutely beautiful. It may not be what you expected so I can understand your initial upset, but it's gorgeous. I hope in a week you end up loving it. But a reminder: Seal it. Seal it and seal it again. From a maintenance standpoint, you will actually be happier down the road with smaller grout joints.

• whms
    8 years ago

I have to agree with those who said smaller grout lines are better, especially in an entrance way. Your idea of concave grout lines to mimic a walkway would be a nightmare to clean as they would capture every drop of water, dirt or mud being mucked into the house. You would need to invest in scrub brushes, not rugs. Your tile job is beautiful and the multicolored brick is eye catching. I'm betting you will love it when it is complete. Can't wait to see the final product!

• setauketli
    8 years ago

Looks gorgeous and I like the pattern you went for.

• Kivi
    8 years ago
    I don't see a reason to be unhappy. I think it looks great!
  • greenfish1234
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks all-I'm coming around :)
  • kathleen currie
    8 years ago

your daughter's posture/expression says it all !!

• Martha O'Brian
    8 years ago

Just curious, did you use a sealant on the top?

• greenfish1234
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hysterical, and true. This has been a looong road for us all!
  • greenfish1234
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Martha, we plan to use a sealant, non shiny.
  • simplist
    8 years ago

I agree with the bright side. It is actually even nicer than the inspiration photo, and with the grout will be even better. Something tells me you will love it in the end!

• christinashome
    4 years ago

I know this is an old feed, but I am curious to how you feel about your brick floors now? What size bricks did you get and from where? Thanks

• greenfish1234
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi-I’m pretty happy with it! I think I would prefer a simple running pattern but the herringbone is beautiful too. I looked at several reclaimed options too, but I actually liked the Home Depot thin brick and it was easy to install and inexpensive.