Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisapay8

Unhappy with great room

lisapay8
11 years ago
I'm never pleased with my kitchen, dinning, family room. Would welcome any suggestions

Comments (21)

• decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    We'll need more pictures to help much. I would comment that your rug under the dining table is too small. They have to be 4' larger than the table to allow for chair scoot and sit space. That might put it too close to your bar chairs. You really have no color except for the painting over the FP and perhaps the bar chairs that look to be green, but could be white. Some of the art colors need to be splashed around the space. Have you ever tried the TV over the FP and the art on the wall? Then you could angle the sofa in front of it for interest. Try the zebra rug in the bedroom and get something more colorful for the space. How about a couple of accent chairs? You could still have a bit of zebra or pick up on the art colors.
    Contemporary Living Room Chairs · More Info

Rio Multicolored Ikat Darby Chair · More Info
  • elklaker
    11 years ago
    I, too, think it is very attractive. My eye did, however, go to the fireplace surround. The green tile (I think) seems out of place with the rest of the furnishings. Perhaps a different surround would help. Otherwise, I like the whole space.
  • groveraxle
    11 years ago
    I like all your furnishings, but I think they need to be rearranged. I would center the dining table under the pendant and, yes, it needs a bigger rug, at least 2 feet all the way around.

I would keep the television where it is, but angle the family room rug and sofa to face the fireplace. Then put your chairs at a 90 degree angle to the sofa, one chair on each side. Pick up some of the red and gold from the painting in throw pillows and maybe a table runner.
  • User
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    From the two pictures it appears that you have more of a black and white color scheme lower in the room with the furniture and rugs and more color higher in the room with the drapes, art and wall color. I would bring some of the warmer colors lower with things like pillows or throws on the furniture and other decor. I would switch out the rug under the table which is too small for perhaps something in a color that is close to your drapes. --- Just adding to original comments - saw your other post and the room from other angles. I would add floor to ceiling drapes to the window behind your table that match the drapes near your fireplace. I would also think about switching out the white ottoman for a wood coffee table with more of a rustic look for more texture and warmth there.
  • loghomecats
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Its a lovely open space. You have all of the basic elements for a awesome room people want.but it looks cold and you're probably sick of living with the colors and the busy zebra rug.

I would warm the space up with a more pale earthy tan wheat color on the walls, and add more organic classic vintage patterns like a chevron and ikat fabric on throw pillows and upholstery . Just think organic materials to warm up the space.think pale warm yellows, and red , and shot of sea blue.earthy fabric prints.
    A cool vintage giclee print picture to pop over the fire place those are really popular right now. Also you can find amazing vintage classic persian rugs for a fraction of the price on ebay. I did and love mine, and they only go up in value. good luck
  • Dar Eckert
    11 years ago
    I have the same small space for dining room and counter. Although I haven't done this yet but a banquette along the wall might work to give you a little more room at your table. That way you don't need extra space to slide back chairs on that side.
  • lisapay8
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Update: still a work and progress but following suggestions have gotten rid of both rugs; reaced by one larger, turned table and put up against wall, added a divider behind table. Tried to angle sectional in front of fireplace but it was too big and blocked traffic from back door.
  • lisapay8
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Another view.
  • User
    11 years ago
    It's looking more relaxed and polished. I agree with the comment above that the green marble fireplace tile is throwing the look off. A simple black honed granite tile (I.e. matte not shiny) would blend in better. Have you thought of painting the wooden room divider black to tie in with the couches and other black accents like the countries.
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    11 years ago
    Hi lisapay8, Marie here
    The biggest problem I can see is the difference in chairs from dining table to island - in order to make this feel more cohesive - I'd change out your dining chairs to a simple parsons to match your counter stools.
    You have drapes on one window and not the other - make all your windows the same.
    You also have two different types of pendants in this room - they should be the same, one smaller one larger - the larger one over the dining table please.

Tie your room together with colour - if the new purple rug is what you want, then bring that colour up into the room - do gorgeous purple drapery panels, and purple candles -

Don't like the open bookshelf separating the dining area from the sitting area - it needs a back on it
    or something - to give it substance - its' floating away.

I've composed a quick rendition of what I see - be confident in your new purple/burgandy area rug - bring that tone in to the drapery, flowers, adding gold accents with hits of chrome and white are more modern and chic. Changing out the lighting to match in such a small room is also key, and changing out your dining room chairs to feel like they belong to a set reduces the noise and cluttery feeling.
  • PRO
    Tara Imani Designs, LLC
    11 years ago
    I agree with Marie's ideas and I love the new rendering she provided- how awesome! I like the color scheme of the olive green and mauve/purplish rose. And the drapes in the rendering really complement the new rug.

I think the new white chairs and new chandelier Marie came up with are spot on.

I was so bothered by the eclectic styles clashing- the very modern bar stools juxtaposed with the very traditional dining table and chairs.

There is a lot of leather in the family room which makes it feel cold and drab. I would change out the fabric on the chairs with a pattern chenille in the color scheme you and Marie have going.

When time and budget permits, I like the idea of changing the green marble fireplace surround to the black matte tile that someone else suggested above.

If you're going to keep the shelf room divider, I agree that painting it black would be good. Having too many styles- even accessories of too small of a scale-- creates visual clutter.

I'm not a fan of "feng shui" but I do think the existing bar counter feels like it's creating a poison dart in the room. To soften it, I would consider adding a mid-size plant off to the side of the end of your sectional sofa.

Doing a tufted ottoman in a big bold color/pattern would be cool, too.

I wonder if Marie could add my suggestions into a second rendering?

The dog looks like he's exhausted from all of this! ;)

It's too bad the sectional didn't work on the diagonal-- because that would really play off the diagonal fireplace nicely and would add a lot more oomph and life to your room.

Looking good!
  • lisapay8
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you for all your suggestions . I'm in the search for new chairs, ottoman, drapes. I definitely am going to redo the fireplace. Any pictures would greatly be appreciated. A friend in concrete has offered to make me a concrete surround.
  • Dar Eckert
    11 years ago
    kind of liked the zebra striped rug better although it was a little small. This one kind of seems dated. Reminds me of the mauve popular in the 80's.
  • lisapay8
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Marie, I love your rendering. Can you tell me what the pendant is? i just love it.
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    11 years ago
    Hi Lisapay8, Marie here.
    The fixture is from TransGlobe -
    http://www.tglighting.com/transglobe/product-details.aspx/product/halogen-crystal-27--isotope-pendant-mdn-965
    It comes in three sizes, I would do either the 20" diameter or the 27.5"

I would change out the fireplace tile to something that compliments your current kitchen countertop - as they should connect with one another.

In case you hadn't noticed, I've added cream, gold and chrome accents throughout, as well as a very unique gold side table by your chair.

Fresh flowers in your tones of cream, lavendar and purple. Good Luck with your project, I think you have a real solid direction now.
  • lisapay8
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you Marie. Are these tables like what you had in mind?
  • PRO
    Tara Imani Designs, LLC
    11 years ago
    Lisapay8, hi there. I also wanted to mention that the painting above the fireplace no longer fits with the new color scheme of mauve and olive-- if that's what you're going to go with. I think you have an opportunity to play up your fireplace by adding a brighter piece of art and re-doing the marble surround as everyone has suggested. Maybe adding an accent wall paint color above the fireplace would be a good backdrop for your artwork. Congrats, as your room is looking great with the new changes you've already made.
    Warm regards,
    Tara
  • sheilaskb
    8 years ago

I would suggest that you get matching light fixtures for both the living and dining areas and then as needed in this space. I too would suggest you remove the chairs from the bar area and have the bar serve as a buffet. The dining area will look less congested if you pull the furniture away from the wall just a bit. Then, I would suggest you have the sofa at an angle so that it faces the angled fireplace and serves as a divider between the living room and dining area. I would suggest you leave one French door functioning and then put a relatively small table in front of each of the other doors and place a lamp and some relatively small potted plants and maybe a magazine or two on each table. As others have suggested, you may want a different area rug to complement the new mauve and olive color scheme. I would suggest a tweed or basketweave effect in a muted olive or grey.

• kinez585
    8 years ago

I love the mauve curtains and white chairs. I think I would have tried to find a rug with the mauve and green in it to tie in the fireplace, picture and added a couple more pieces with those colors. A certain color mauve and green go well together.

• hayleydaniels
    8 years ago

Check dates before you respond. This is from January 2013. Houzz has a key word generator that pulls up old posts based on what you're reading and displays them on the right hand side of the page under Related Discussions. Most are long dead threads like this one.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm