houzzsupport

houzzsupport
April 6, 2011
How do I edit a photo?

Jace Architecture
    Hi Emily,

Thanks so much for responding. I truly appreciate it.

Yes, I am seeing the full size with no cropping occurring when I click on the images. That is great.

However, related to my initial question, I would like to know how to get my vertically-oriented images to fill out the entire image frame width with no image height constraint. In the XL view, my vertically-oriented images are not filling out the webpage's image frames "full-bleed" (so-to-speak), and the website is creating black strips to the left and right of my images to fill up the image frame. I would like the vertically-oriented images to fill the webpage's standard image frame width and allow unconstrained image heights (so that the image frame doesn't need to crop any images). Is there a way for me to control this?
    Jace Architecture
    Hopefully these images elucidate my question.

Image 1: Please see how my image gets cropped and receives black borders once uploaded to XL view?
    Image 2: original image [EDIT: The image is getting cropped in the comment box. It is truly a vertically-oriented image, please click on image to view its actual proportions.]
    Image 3: Please see how another professional's project image fills the image frame width and still reads as a vertically-oriented image because its height doesn't seem constratined.

Thanks Emily!
  • Emily H
    Hi again! Zipping you an email from support...
    Jace Architecture
    The problem has been resolved: I had forgotten to check the size of the images that I was uploading, which turned out to be approximately 420 pixels in width. Sizing them up to at least 1,000 pixels in width solved the problem.

Thanks for the great support!
  • Emily H
    Fantastic! Happy to help.
  • Eric Lansford
    How do I delete a duplicate account that was accidentally created?
  • Doug Durando
    Hey Eric,

Can you send a note to support (at) houzz (dot) com with the details? Thanks!
    Lissee Interiors
    Someone has added photos to my site..........how do I delete them and not have this happen again. Is your site not secure to have this happen? Please advise
  • Doug Durando
    Hey Anni,

I just sent you an email about this. Talk soon!
    lucinda carlstrom
    I am also having problems with the cropping of my photos. I make elongated artwork so it does not always fit your format. my most popular saved photo is generally cropped off center, which to me doesn't look professional, though the full version of it is fine. is there an ideal size that I could make my artwork conform to in photoshop before I upload them to houzz? I generally shoot with black borders, so I can adjust this. is there a standard proportions that could guide me?
  • Emily H
    Hi Lucinda, Can you try a square shape? The only other issue is that a lot of blank space around the images may still result in cropping, so if that happens, try a slight border around the outside of the images as well.
    lucinda carlstrom
    So I first make a square format around my art in black, and then I put a white smaller border around the whole thing? My second question is mainly for the "products" category. I see photos appear double square size in products both horizontally and vertically. Will the black then white border work as well for "product" photos? Are they a 1:2 ratio? I'll try it -lots of photoshopping. Thanks.
  • Emily H
    Hi Lucinda,

I'd try it on one and see how it goes.

You can either upload as products or as spaces. For products, you are best off just trying to change the proportion to a square without a border then try to upload.

Shoot us an email at support(at)houzz.com for any other questions and we can help you there!
  • Doug Durando
    Hey Epoch Interior Design,

Support will be reaching out to you shortly!
    Bonesteel Trout Hall
    I have a project that I would like to upload and the pixel size is 734 px I would like to upload them to get them up and then replace them with the 1000 px when I get them in a couple of weeks. My question is, if someone adds the 734px to their idea book and then I replace it later with the higher one will it stay added to their idea book or will they lose that image and have to retag it?
  • shagunrana
    how do i crop a pic
  • Emily H
    Bonesteel - When you replace a photo, the new version will be saved in any ideabooks where the old photo was saved.

Shagunrana - currently you can not crop photos on the Houzz site. All editing should take place before upload.

Hope that helps!

The Houzz Team
    SDCHome
    Hi, i am not able to see the "edit" tag in the images I uploaded to an Ideabook, did u guys do away with the functionality? How do I add the Style, change the image title etc., if you fail to give us an edit option. Thanks - S
    Sea Gull Lighting
    We don't see the edit button either--what has changed?
    Lissee Interiors
    I am seeing photos of spaces that do not belong to me but to someone else.....I still do not know why they are on my site and how do I delete them?
  • Emily H
    Hi Anni, If you go to your own profile and are viewing your "feed" you will see activity for other people that you follow on the site. If you click "Activity", you will see only your own activity.

People visiting your profile do not see the "Feed" view. Only you see that.
  • Laura Peterson
    How do I added comments to photos already in one of my ideabooks? I can add comments as photos are added to an ideabook for the first time, but I can't figure out how to add/edit comments on a photo in my ideabook after a photo is already added
    Arteriors Designer Finishes
    The "Spaces" category pop up is off the page on both Firefox and IE, so we cannot choose spaces from the first column - any way to fix this?
    Legend Lighting
    On some of my images the edit button is not there. The titles of some of my photos are not what I originally named them, just a bunch of letters and symbols and I cannot edit them.
  • Beata Reznik
    How do I change my profile picture, and take it off of google image search?
  • J M
    I like summer colors? What can I do when j fall comes?
    Designing Edge
    I've never been one to be a slave to the seasons as far as color goes. However, if you want to change things up a bit, try adding richer tones of the summer colors as accents. Yellow becomes gold, light blue becomes royal blue, lime green goes to a deeper green. Add a throw and change out your flower arrangements. It will be beautiful.
    Megan DiBartolo REALTOR (R) The Winnett Group
    Do you screen photos or do you have quality control? The photos are all so amazing! Thanks :)
  • janefleischmann
    I'm not sure what you mean. This is all my work. I use professional photographers most of the time. It really helps with the quality.
  • glammomov3
    Silly question, but where is profile page?
  • Emily H
    @Laura if you go to your ideabook and click Edit, you can change any of the comments you saved with the photos or add new ones.
  • Emily H
    @Beata Just go to your profile via the web interface and you can replace your profile photo.
  • Emily H
    @Meagan We do look at all the photos that are uploaded and you will see the best photos more often on the site because they are featured more prominently. :)
  • Emily H
    @glammov If you visit via the website, you can click your avatar to go to your profile.
  • Emily H
    For any questions with specific photo editing, please send us a quick email at support(at)houzz.com with the details and a link to the photo(s) in question. Thanks!
    AS Hanging Display Systems
    When adding a photo, there's a place to enter "Photo Credit". Is this to credit the person, organization from where the photo originated? Or is this where we enter our companies name to protect ourselves and so when people click on the image they will be directed back to our site?
    Pine Street Carpenters & The Kitchen Studio
    @AS Hanging Systems: The "Photo Credit" is where you put the photographer's name (or your business name if you'd like if you are the photographer). The name/link back to your Houzz profile is automatic by simply uploading a photo to your portfolio.
    Urban Wood Goods
    How can I replace the photos of my child products? Is there a way that I can import photos instead of clicking the "Edit" button one by one in "Manage Products" page.
    Lisa Tharp Design
    If I edit a photo, or replace it with a slightly different variation of the same image, will it still be preserved in the idea books to which it was saved?

Blindsgalore
    We are trying to update an image for a product, the image doesn't display an "edit" beneath the photo. We have many other products and photos that do show "edit", but this particular one doesn't show that functionality. Why would this not show? We are trying to replace all of our older photos with new higher res images.
    Richmond Tile and Bath
    I deleted a project but one photo remain how do I remove this photo. The trash can does not appear when I use edit button
    Art Gems
    How can one place the same photos in more categories, places etc... without getting photo duplicates within the original projects? Also is there a way to by-pass a specific house style so the photos can be placed through-out all styles? Thanks!
  • Ofir Zwebner
    Hi Art,

We require that photos belong to one room category and one style.

I suggest your go with the best fitting category for your photos, so as to fit what people browsing the site are looking for. Chose the prominent part of the photo as a category. Alternatively, you can leave your photo uncategorized ("spaces") and provide more information about it in the description field.

The same applies to styles - chose what's the focus of your photos. If, for example, the room is modern but has Asian touches - you can chose eclectic. Our editorial team has written plenty of articles about different styles, which can be found here: http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/Decorating-Styles#Decorating
    Art Gems
    Thanks Ofir. I did put most of our new art line under Eclectic but will put some under spaces. It is hard to have only 1 choice, a max of 3 would be nice but I understand that Houzz wants to avoid duplicates and is dealing with such a massive volume of photos as it is.

On another topic, have you ever considered adding "Shabby Chic" to style? This is still a very popular one. Lots of sparkle, soft velvet furniture, fringed & embroidered pillows, gold leaf art frames, soft wall colors. No other style choice really picks this feeling up in a comprehensive way.

One other thing... I think sub-choices under Artwork such as Wall Art, as framed, unframed and gallery wrap, would really help customers narrow down the search substantially. Just a thought. Thanks so much, Janet
  • Ofir Zwebner
    Hi Janet,

Thanks for understanding our concerns with categorization. More than anything, what matters is having great looking photos that other will like and save; style and categorization come later.

We're continuously looking into extending our list of available styles and sub-categories. Those are some great suggestions, thanks!
    Joie de Vivre
    I would like to link Houzz pictures with my products on my website. Does anybody know how to do ?
    Just like this:
    Palmetto Bluff - Private Residence · More Info
  • Emily H
    @Joie de vivre You can add product tags to photos that you upload to your own profile. If you have your own shots of spaces incorporating your products, you can upload those to your profile and then tag your products in them there.
    Joie de Vivre
    Great, thank you very much for your answer Emily Hurley!
    MSI
    Can I permanently remove a photo from my profile? I've deleted the photo; however, it can still be accessed via direct link...
  • Emily H
    Hi MS, can you shoot us a message through support.houzz.com? Thanks!