Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twocats

Which coffee table would look best with our new sofas?

twocats
8 years ago
We just ordered 2 sofas, picture attached but sorry about the quality. The third photo is a sample of the fabric. The sofas will not have the black piping, the piping will be the same color as the white in the fabric.

The glass coffee table can be ordered with a white base, the finish is semi-matte. The white one is a nice matte finish. Not sure which coffee table would best with the sofas. We will also need 2 side tables, to be placed either at the end of each sofa, or between them when sofas placed in L. I don't want the whole thing too look like a "kit", or too matchy matchy, so not sure what kind of side tables we should get, glass or wooden top?

We are planning to buy a rug, but we first need a coffee table, we are using boxes at the moment!

The grey pillow does not belong to the sofa. I have ordered extra fabric to make a few pillows and will add a couple of other ones with an accent colour.

Comments (11)

• tayyiba_patel
    8 years ago
    I also have a preference for glass coffee tables. They make your room feel more spacious.
    Although, if you have an open-plan house, you may want to consider the aesthetics of the rest of your house and choose a table based on what goes better with your overall style and feel.
    twocats thanked tayyiba_patel
  • twocats
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Both hubby and I are leaning towards the white table, we're not sure about the glass table with a white base, especially when it will have to go on a rug. To add to our confusion, there is also the option of the wooden tables in the pictures. Two of the round ones would cost less than the white table (italian design)! Would a small version of the round wooden ones as end tables combine with the white round table? Or would that be too many round tables in the same room? As for the rectangular table, I think it the wood just might be the wrong shade. Thoughts anyone? :))

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

I would do a Noguchi table

• PRO
    CO Interiors
    8 years ago

I love the glass coffee table. I think the black metal base picks up on the black piping of the sofa and compliments it well. I also like the suggestion of the Noguchi table which offers a bit of warmth with the wood base, but it's been done too many times.

• leslieejsmith
    8 years ago

You are right, 3 round is wrong. I love the white table too but maybe get that then step back an look a little more for end tables. Is there a rush to finish?

• twocats
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @ MAJ interiors, thank you! The piping on the sofa will be white, the same white as in the fabric. We like the Nogushi table but more than what we want to pay. I can look for a copy, but I don't know how good they look. In the meantime, hubbie bought this piece of furniture for the TV. Because of the wooden front, wouldn't it better if we stay away from wood for the coffee table, even if it's a wooden based table? I am concerned that we might have different colour wood and that it would not look good. Would the white round white coffee table work? What about end tables? Would I need to find something in glass or the exact same wood as the TV stand? We know what we like and luckily we agree on most things, but we find it difficult to put it all together, aaaargh!

@leslieejsmith, there is no real rush to finish, the sofas will be delivered in September. That said, we do need a coffee table quickly as we are using a box right now! The TV was also on boxes.
  • leelee
    8 years ago

Are the two sofas facing each other or are they at a 90* angle? If angled, the first table you showed the triangular glass would be perfect. If facing something more rectangular.

• PRO
    CO Interiors
    8 years ago

Interior design is subjective, I mean there are so many options out there and a lot of them work together, but also a lot don't. The trick to having a cohesive look is to find common elements that tie each piece together. For example, I mentioned the black metal base on the glass coffee table picking up on the black piping. Even though you have white piping you now look for a different licking element. For instance, that coffee table would still work because its curved edges on the base would nod to the subtle curved edges of the sofa. Plus the black base picks up on the black base of the media unit. Each piece compliments one another. But design can also be bold and daring. You can select one piece that stands out from the rest, making it a focal point.

• twocats
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks everyone for your very helpful comments.

@MAJ Interiors, this is very helpful. Without giving me a crash course in interior design ( although I could use one ! ) can you please clarify something for me? I understand what you mean about an element that would tie things together, wether it's colour, a shape or material such as metal, wood, etc. Does that mean that every piece in the room should be tied to all other pieces, or can one piece be tied to only one other piece? Am I making sense? :)) leelee suggested the glass table if the sofas will be placed at an angle and they will be ( one sofa is slightly shorter than the other). What is the picking element in this case? the angle of the sofas and the angle of the glass?

I had a look at your website, very nice.
  • PRO
    CO Interiors
    8 years ago

Thank you for your compliment about our work :) To answer some of your questions, you need to find the right balance between creating a cohesive look and having a couple stand out pieces. You don't want to have everything matchy matchy. In regards to the placement of the sofas and the coffee table I usually place the coffee table about 16" from the sofa. At some point there should be 16" between the edge of the coffee table and both sofas. So even a round table would work with sofas at 90 degree angles.

twocats thanked CO Interiors