Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edwmom

Need Your Advice: help me build out my living room?

edwmom
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We chose a rug. We have a sofa. We've painted. We've ordered an ottoman. I'm stuck on what to do next.

What color accessories/throw pillows (I don't think I like the yellow pillows we have there now)

What should I get for either side of the fireplace? Above the fireplace? I also need to get some side tables for the sofa, I think.

Help!

Here are some pics:

Comments (194)

• PRO
    Daniel Dionne Designs llc
    8 years ago

So... I figured it out. When I access the conversation through the email discussion notification link, I cannot upload images. Ahnee hoo... I thought this floor lamp could work nicely with your chain link accent table. Uttermost. VERY affordable. I love the sculptural presence and the spare structure in contrast to the detail of the table. Also love the bronze finish and brass accents. More to follow.

edwmom thanked Daniel Dionne Designs llc
  • edwmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

WOW! Yes, I love that floor lamp!

• PRO
    8 years ago

Heh-lehr again. The attached lamp would look awesome on your console, right down to the brass ball accent that repeats the detail of the table structure. It also has an oval shade that would make it ideal to be so close to the wall. Love the finish and the openness of the structure. Either of the mirrors would be amazing on the wall opposite the fireplace, as mentioned earlier. They are both 48" wide. One is 72" tall, the other 82". A pair would create the illusion of French doors... How elegant and impactful....All of this product is from Uttermost. Have you considered strengthening the focal fireplace wall with an accent color or wallcovering...? (something I almost never recommend, but seems like it could make sense here) One of the mirror photos put this into my head. My happy affliction. ;-)

• PRO
    8 years ago

No. not that lamp. Seagrass. I will find you a wooden one, but in the meantime, thoughts on the above...?

• edwmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I really like the above console lamp. I like adding all the bronze metal to the room. I think it will look well with the gold walls. I also really like the mirrors. It might open up the room to have something large like that behind the sofa.

With the placement of the sofa, there's about 4 feet between the back of the sofa (short side) and the wall across from the fireplace. I've been standing there looking at it trying to figure out what you'd do with that odd space.

The mirror in that spot would also be great to reflect whatever artwork I can figure out to go on the fireplace wall.

• PRO
    8 years ago

Several lamp options, All either wood or some other natural material. The first is Rattan and VERY cool, IMO. All from Lamps Plus. All affordable. All at least 30" tall, as they need to be if they are going on the brass cubist table. I actually REALLY love the second one too. Mosaic tiles with a gilded edge and wood base. What a fun mix to the materials. Curation and collection will give you a wonderful, traveled, eclectic and transitional result. I am excited FOR you.

• edwmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Those are great - my favorite is #2 too!

So are we thinking 3 lamps - gold cube side table, console and floor lamp?

• PRO
    8 years ago

If you use two of these mirrors, you don't need to do ANYTHING else. That will be enough and maximize traffic and space impression, let alone brightening the space further. Less is more in this case, for sure. I would use modern, abstract art over the fireplace.

• PRO
    8 years ago

Or 4 if you use a pendant at the corner. Optional, for sure, but could be an interesting layer. You will find that the most comfortable and functional spaces, Include 5-7 sources of light, including general or ambient (overhead fixtures or recess, etc.) accent (sconces or spots) and task (table, floor and other portable types) This variety also provides for all functional and lifestyle needs of any given space.

• PRO
    8 years ago

The second lamp would also be provide a very interesting positive/negative or shape/space relationship to the bronze one I posted with the mirrors. That, with the arc style floor lamp would make for a really dynamic and functional lighting mix.

• edwmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm excited. I think they will look great!

BTW - are those that you posted floor mirrors (leaning) or are they hung?

• PRO
    8 years ago

They are large enough to lean, but I would hang them. Maybe 4 or 5 inches above the base molding. If you were to use the blue and white abstract print that you posted earlier, over the fireplace, you really start to create some interesting thematic connections and a lovely subtle rhythm. (circles/spheres) Again, I would avoid a heavy black frame though. Perhaps a "galleried" collection on the wall opposite the windows, although I would probably use a pair or series(3) of mid-scale art pieces or sepia toned photography, as I believe groveraxle recommended.... framed simply in bronze.

• er612
    8 years ago

Did you see my comment about moving the console behind the short side of the sectional?

edwmom thanked er612
  • edwmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Er...

So sorry, yes, I saw it. The short side of the sectional is too short for the console I currently have. If you look at the photos I posted, you can see the sofa is only one seat wide on that side (due to the room being only 13 feet wide).

I would need to buy a much shorter console if I want one in that spot and for now that's just not as high on the priority list as getting other parts of the room figured out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Right now I have my existing console between the window wall and the long side of the sofa (between the windows).

• edwmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Daniel - the mirrors you posted both have rounded tops...intentionally so, correct?

Found this one - very similar, same size in fact...but less expensive. Looks like the glass is antiqued a bit.

• PRO
    8 years ago

Arched or not... Secondary to the overall effect. I really like the ones you found also. A LOT. You really do have great instincts. Follow them. :-)

• edwmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you!! :)

• PRO
    Drapery and Home Makeover by Carlos Oliveira
    8 years ago
    quality window treatments would a wise next step to warm this room up. I would suggest solid fabric with classic pleats instead anything trendy (no groomets or such).
  • edwmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi all! I've been singing your praises to all who will hear me. :)

Just wanted to check in, provide an update and think through next steps.

Our white plantation shutters will be installed on Tuesday.

I bought a narrower console table to put between the window wall and the sofa. It arrives today.

We are still waiting for the Thomasville ottoman - I can't believe it's taking 2 months to get it!

All the lamps arrived.

I also bought side tables - though I don't love the one on the short side of the sofa as much as I thought I would. I'm going to move it down to our family room and I ordered the Pottery Barn chain link table for that spot instead (eagerly awaiting its arrival!)

I ordered the tall arched mirror that I posted above. That might take a while to get here.

Here are some updated photos with the few new pieces - the sofa will slide back about a foot when I switch to the new console):

I'm still waiting for the red patterned pillows Daniel recommended to arrive. The Layla Grace gold zig zag pillow did come - I love it!

(Please pardon the piles of junk at either end of the room. It's finally going up in the attic this week.)

Thanks again for all your help. Let me know what you think about what's been done so far and what comes next.... :)

• Mark
    8 years ago

I think everything is shaping up nicely. I still would like to see a leopard pillow on the sofa :) Daniel is doing a great job with you so ...carry on Daniel !

• edwmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Mark! Great to see you! I'm definitely not opposed to the leopard pillow. Where can you buy the one you like?

• Mark
    8 years ago

This one is from Etsy.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/115042564/leopard-velvet-pillow-cover-gold-leopard?ref=market

I would wait and see how the other pillows look and see if a leopard pillow will work with the mix.

Anxious to hear what Daniel has to say about your room.

• edwmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I like that one a lot! Thanks for the recommendation! :)

I'm Beetlejucing Daniel to see what he thinks too.... :)

• PRO
    8 years ago

Heh lehr again. Wow edwmom. You don't play. Love it so far! Try pulling the arc floor lamp away from the wall so the lamp suspends over/behind the furthest left seat of the sectional. I LOVE the leopard pillow that Mark suggested and it will absolutely work beautifully. You do need window treatments, but the configuration requires a thoughtful approach. I do think you could use simple panels. I agree with the contributor above: no grommets or other modern appointments. Maybe use a pair of opaque Euro pleated panels on the outsides of the respective windows and a pair of sheers on the insides to unify the PAIR of windows, loosely. Treat them as one. This will also frame a really defined spot for art between them and create a VERY strong, interesting and unified focal point of awkwardly placed windows. Hang them on approx. 1" diameter poles in metal,(bronze or burnished brass) on simple rings, with simple finials. You could also use two opaque pair but use width and a half panels at the outsides and single width at the insides. Stack them tightly at the inside to maximize the openness of the windows and maximize light. I might even mount the poles off center to expedite the tight stack in the middle and allow for fullness at the outsides. (perhaps 3'' beyond the window frame at the center and 10" beyond on the outside. In any scenario, mount the poles 3" below the crown molding and take them to just clearing the floor. You could use a solid or a subtle, large scaled tone on tone pattern, which I would prefer. Cream field with a creamy gold pattern, maybe... Perhaps something very open and "scrolly". A subtle window pane would also look amazing. SUBTLE. No bold contrast in the colors. The geometry of windowpane feels fresh and modern, but is absolutely classic. Very much in the wheelhouse of where you are headed. Loving it! I hope you are having fun. I am.

• PRO
    8 years ago

I have edited the above, like three times, edwmom. Haha. You "liked" it so quickly, you might not even have had a chance to read it all. Jeez... sorry. :-)

• PRO
    8 years ago

Here are a couple of fabrics pulled for recent projects that beautifully illustrate what I am describing for your windows.

• edwmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sorry Daniel! I did read back. Thank you for all your help! :)

The windows will have white plantation shutters, will the drapery ideas you had still work with that?

I do like the idea of hanging the rods off center - that's really interesting. I also love the windowpane fabric idea!

I put the narrow console behind the couch last night and I love it, so much better. The sofa was out way too far with the other console there.

I am having a ton of fun and it's amazing to start to see the room come together.

Two questions?

What would you do with the fireplace wall? I haven't tackled that at all yet. Would it be useful to put a chair (or other type of seating) in the space to the right of the fireplace? That area faces the sofa. Trying to figure out how to balance both sides of the fireplace. I'm looking for appropriate artwork to put above the fireplace.

We are leaning away from having a TV in the room now, so I do need to contend with the big blank wall across from the sofa. That wall has the wide opening to the dining room and the a huge wide blank wall. One issue is that the doorway to enter the living room is perpendicular to this blank wall. So when you walk in whatever is there is right in your face. I had an 18 inch deep console there and it was all you saw when you walked in the room. Let me see if I have a photo from this view.

• edwmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ok - I don't have a current photo of the wall across from the sofa, but this photo is of the room with the previous owners stuff in it. It's a good view of the doorway into the living room, the empty wall and opening to dining room.

The hallway at the entrance of the dining room is now light blue with white wainscoting.

The living room walls are a bit more gold - BM Barley. The floors are now jacobean stain.

The dining room will be navy (BM New York State of Mind) above the chair rail and I've added wainscoting below the chair rail which will be all white. My furniture in there is all cherry-ish wood.

• PRO
    8 years ago

Perhaps a demilune console with shelves or a demi-lune cabinet. Something that has more visual weight than just a console on legs. Instead of a TV over it, simply use modern art of a substantial scale and a pair of lamps. Or just one if you'd like. Demilune, because the curved shape will give you a softer profile from the side, as it will be viewed, also avoiding sharp corners projecting into what is a main traffic thoroughfare. Softer passage and no bruised hips and thighs. Yes, a chair to the right of the fireplace and make it a club chair with some real presence. Patterned fabric that will complement the rug. Probably large in scale and maybe again, subtle or tone on tone pattern but with color to balance out the big color presence in the main sectional fabric. This will also balance out the pattern on the windows. Speaking of that... YES. Drapery panels will definitely work with your shutters. I view these as completely different but related appointments. Shutters are more architectural and provide light control and privacy solutions. In this case, drapery is about softening and dressing the windows, which are also architectural elements. The former rarely precludes the benefit of the latter. They will work in tandem in this case. You could probably use an exposed wood occasional chair on the left side of the fireplace. More moderate in scale. Light neutral fabric, woven or solid. Think houndstooth or herringbone. Classic and timeless. Don't try to create overt symmetrical balance on the fireplace wall, certainly in regards to furniture placement. The overall room layout is not symmetrical and asymmetry generally reads more casual/relaxed, which is where the room is going. Consider pulling your dining room blue onto the fireplace wall, or a more mid-depth version of it. Maybe even a textured wall covering like grass cloth in those tones. This will draw the eye from space to space, create continuity and give you a big POW! BIG visual impact on this focal wall. Art over the fireplace and mirrors on either side. Vertical in orientation. Again- these will provide balance and create rhythm, playing off of the large mirror on the opposite wall. Elements introduced in three's are almost always pleasing used in this kind of distribution. I am interested to know why you decided to do the dining room wainscoting in white. This always feels so stodgy/Colonial or Georgian to my eye. The room would be so much more dramatic if you were to do it (and the chair rail) in the same or a slightly lighter version of the blue, in semi-gloss, leaving only the door, window and shoe moldings in white. Pic attached to illustrate the concept. In this case we added wall covering to the panel insets, but the effect is illustrated, despite how modern/transitional/eclectic the style is of this project. I hope all of this is helpful and makes sense. You are surely on it! I am really enjoying seeing it evolve. Thanks for humoring my rambling. ;-)

• Mark
    8 years ago

Daniel I love everything you suggested. I really like the idea of painting the wainscoting.

• PRO
    8 years ago

Thanks MarkO. My happy affliction.

• edwmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi Daniel!

I love the idea of the exposed wood chair and club chair. I'm on the hunt for a wide demilune console now.

When I google club chairs there seem to be so many shapes. What style were you thinking and what color? I like the idea of a tone on tone pattern.

I'm giving the dining room wainscoting idea some thought. I like the idea you showed me. I've had the bottom already painted white along with the trim. Any way to salvage the wainscoting without totally repainting? Probably not...might just have to bite the bullet on that one.

Thank you!!
  • edwmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

These were the initial inspiration photos for the adjacent dining room.

Old Westbury Neoclassical · More Info

Jane Lockhart Navy Dining Room · More Info

• PRO
    8 years ago

Sure. Easily modified. Just leave the shoe, window and door moldings as they are and paint "inside the lines", as it were. I would be more focused on the scale of the club chair and not so much the shape. I would use something with an exposed leg, perhaps with a high-ish back. Something transitional and not too traditional or formal. Clean of silhouette. Let the fabric "do the talking" Several thoughts attached. The first and third would be for the exposed occasional chair to the left of fireplace, which SHOULD be about structure and silhouette. Disregard the fabrics shown, ESPECIALLY #4, lol. Have fun. These frames are from, respectively: Century, Vanguard, Century, Century and Bernhardt. Bernhardt in particular offers good quality at really good prices, with relatively limited fabric options. They are not really a good place to do COM. Century is superior quality at a price. Vanguard is the middle man. Really good quality at a good price, but not what I would call inexpensive. Lee Industries is another great (and very green) option, on a par with Vanguard. All are made in the USA, except often, their carved frames, which generally come from Italy or Asia, occasionally Mexico. Don't get drawn into the "8 way hand tied" myth. It is definitely a fine quality construction, but current technologies have really improved and other spring up techniques now offer very reliable quality quality, also eliminating the inherent human error factor. Always get the best you can afford. There is definitely a correlation in price to quality in upholstery. Remember, it is really all the things you can't see that generate price and quality in upholstery. Frame construction and integrity are EVERYTHING here.

• Mark
    8 years ago

I had the same chair as the third one down. It was beautiful. I loved it but replaced it with a larger chair. I love your first and second choices Daniel.

edwmom thanked Mark
  • edwmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Fantastic chair ideas! Is there a particular color for the upholstery that I should seek out?

Just some updated photos, the ottoman arrived and three of the recommended pillows (working on getting the animal print pillow):

The shutters will be installed tomorrow...

• Mark
    8 years ago

The pillows look beautiful. Especially the red one on the far right. I think a tray on top of the ottoman would look lovely.

edwmom thanked Mark
  • edwmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Mark!

I LOVE the red one on the right too! Even my husband remarked on how great it looks. :)

I bought that seagrass tray thinking I'd put it on the ottoman, completely forgetting how tiny it would look on the huge ottoman! LOL.. What kind of tray would be better? I was googling around yesterday, but didn't know what to get (besides much larger).

• Mark
    8 years ago

edwmom Daniel is brilliant and he must have a vision all planned out in his head so I would like to see what he has in mind. It might not be a tray at all. I'm sure he will log on to Houzz soon and he will know exactly what should go there :)

edwmom thanked Mark
  • PRO
    8 years ago

Hahaha. As if YOU don't have great ideas of your own, Mark. Metal or wood, perhaps a mirrored top...? Rectangular, with a gallery or lip. Handles at the least. 16 x 24 minimum. Form/function. Wow, edwmom. The reds in that pillow really are spot on with the rug, aren't they? Yes yes yes. Add the Animal print. No more cream pillows. You could use a lumbar in the mix for a variation of proportion. I am envisioning the additional layer of drapery fabric to the floor, behind the brass and glass cubist table. Maybe on French or bent return poles. pic attached

Chair field colors: Left side accent chair, cream. Frankly, it wouldn't kill me to see it as the first example, as shown. Right side club chair, deep rich gold, even leaning into caramel or rust, but I would not go into reds or blues. Too obvious. Don't hesitate to use something that isn't a dead hit on ANYTHING currently in the mix. Dance around it instead of matching it. Continue to create a collected look. Maybe even a large scale, bold-ish Ralph Lauren-like plaid in bold strokes of the rug colors. Bold being the operative word. It needs visual weight and presence to balance out the sectional. No plaid on a tufted frame though. Ever. Nailhead trim...? Maybe a deep blue lumbar pillow... or throw. You will probably want a floor lamp for use with the club chair and possibly a small accent table. Something drum-like or visually weighty, not leggy and open. pic attached. The table in the pic is bronze.

This is starting to really feel nice. Can't wait to see if you tweak the dining room wainscot. hint, hint... ;-) Also can't wait to see where you go with the art.

Inspiration pics attached.

Maybe the blue over the fireplace, red between the windows... Happy decorating!

• edwmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm having SO much fun with you guys!! :)

Ok, I'm on the hunt for a better tray...and chairs!

Shutters are installed. I guess for drapery panels in a window pane fabric I need to find someone local to source the material and make them?

• edwmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

And here's a photo update on the dining room. I have a huge beveled glass mirror to hang above the sideboard.

The table is a Restoration Hardware pedestal table bought a long while ago. I hate our chairs and need to find something else. They were a CraigsList find (mistake) about 5 years ago. lol

I need to figure out what to do to change the paint on the wainscoting....Paint the area below the chair rail a lighter blue?

• PRO
    8 years ago

Maybe the same blue in the panels, in the same sheen. Molding in one shade lighter or maybe the same shade, but a higher sheen. Cleaner lined, simpler chairs. Maybe you could get away with just painting these chairs. Glazed metallic finish...? Color...? Just a thought. You need window Rx's in here too. Consider repeating the Living room treatments for continuity. Does the fixture stay or change? Change would be my recommendation. You will rarely hear me say this, but I don't think you need a rug in the DR. Especially if you use lighter finished chairs, which I recommend, whether you use the existing re-finished or new. Reference the dining room image I posted earlier. Where are you located edwmom? Drapery hardware and fabrics can ship anywhere... Message me privately if you need help with resourcing and/or fabrication. The simpler the design, the easier it is to do custom remotely.

• edwmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ok. My only concern is that the dining room is already dark and if I do the dark blue on the bottom too it will be even darker. Our house is under a ton of trees.

I agree about window treatments in the dining room too. I have no idea where to go with that.

I'm fine going without a rug. If I bought new chairs (instead of painting these) what color? (scrolling back to look at the pic you posted again.)

I'm in the DC area. I'll definitely message you. I'd love to work with you.

• edwmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The artwork you posted - where from?

I love the bent return poles!

• PRO
    8 years ago

Art is from Left Bank Art. An AMAZING resource with truly amazing prices and a vast selection. These happen to be a couple I am using in the dining room of a current project, where we are also using metallic wall covering on the ceiling to maximize reflected, ambient light. The room has NO windows and low ceilings. Left Bank is Trade only, but I believe their website will have a search function for dealers. Also, I have an account with them. I say with dining rooms, go all out for drama. You say dark, I say dramatic. If the chairs are lighter, stained or painted, you will bring some light back into the mix. Maybe a lighter fabric on the seats. The mirror will bring back some borrowed light, etc. Maybe a pair of torchieres flanking the window. Lighter window treatments that do not block the windows, but only dress them, as in the living room. Black and white photography in light wood or painted or metallic frames. Think Basic Math: any elements added or subtracted change the sum total and end result of the room. There are many ways to assure enough light in a space, but dining rooms more often than not are primarily used for entertaining and special occasions, so again, go for drama and ambience. One of your inspiration photos had floor to ceiling deep blue walls and it looked awesome. Just sayin'... ;-)

• Mark
    8 years ago

I agree with Daniel about the painting the wainscoting.

The wainscoting beautiful as it is in white to me breaks the room in half because of the sharp contrast. I would paint the wainscoting and I would even paint the ceiling with less contrast. I think the dining room below is intimate and dramatic and very inviting. I myself would love to have an area rug in the dining room though :)

Lighting is key too.

edwmom thanked Mark
  • PRO
    8 years ago

Great image MarkO. See how lively and dramatic this is edwmom? You can definitely use a rug. I just don't think the room requires it. However, if you do add a rug with a lighter field, it would again, be another way to bring lightness into the space, addressing your concern about a lack of sufficient light. I just sometimes like gleaming hardwood floors in dining rooms, particularly where there is a distinct contrast of wood finishes from floor to furnishings. Also, use reflective/high sheen accessories. Metal, lacquer, glass... Notice the accessories in the photo. Silver, pewter, silver leafed frame on the art, light floral, etc. If you do go with a rug, maybe shake things up a bit and go modern or transitional. pics attached. Think of it as modern art on the floor. BTW, I also like Mark's suggestion of reducing the contrast between the ceiling and wall colors. Think of the dining room as a jewel box lined in velvet...

• Mark
    8 years ago

Daniel I love both but the first carpet is amazing.

• everdebz
    8 years ago

I see the ottoman isn't a warm tan but chocolate - a difference and the ottoman doesn't stick out against the raspberry, to me.

Also just to mention that I like your chairs cause of the interesting style which seem to visually "fit inside" the wood trim nearby. Nice mix.