Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eischenmb

Best way to hang things on non-magnet stainless steel refrigerator?

Michael
8 years ago

I would love to display the kids art work in the kitchen. My stainless steel refrigerator doesn't have the magnetic steel. Are there ways to make it magnetic? Or are there safe things to attach to the face of the refrigerator?

Comments (19)

• Margo
    8 years ago

Not sure who was the genius behind refrigerator magnets?? I can not see spending $$ on a stainless refrigerator and then plying them with magnets and art. Why not use a wall in the garage or mudroom and make a gallery wall of the kid's art.

Michael thanked Margo
  • hayleydaniels
    8 years ago

Scotch tape.....

• Margo
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

aaaaaaaaaack hayley!!!!!!

• hayleydaniels
    8 years ago

What's wrong with it, Margo? You can get the bit of glue off with a touch of window cleaner.

• Maureen
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

If you have a narrow wall or somewhere suitable, you can use Candy Magnetic Paint + whiteboard paint to achieve the idea below.

Royalton - A Perfect Blend of Classic and Contemporary Design · More Info

• smit2380
    8 years ago

Without entering the fray as to whether children's artwork should be displayed on appliances, command strips can be used on stainless steel.

• Pool Habit
    8 years ago
    I agree, art used to go on fridges when they were magnetic. Nowadays you can put magnet paint anywhere and you can make it whiteboard or chalkboard too. Or even a giant cork board but then you have pins. Personally the sides of our ss fridge are magnetic and one is exposed so a couple things go there.
  • Michael
    Original Author
    8 years ago

These are all good tips and ideas! I can use your idea Margo of using the wall space by the kids "locker/cubby" area to create a gallery of art. I will use Maureen's idea of magnetic paint to achieve it! And if we need a dry erase area for messages or something I can use smit2380's idea of command strips for that on the fridge. In the end, all the needs are met along with a clutter free look! I appreciate your ideas! Thanks again.

• Najeebah
    8 years ago
    where I am, we have 'Prestik' - the best invention since sliced bread.
    I don't know what an alternative would be in your area, but its basically a re-usable, rubber putty-like adhesive. you can probably find something like it at a stationary/craft shop
    Michael thanked Najeebah
  • PRO
    Fodeez® Adhesive Frames / Dry Erase Boards
    7 years ago

You've gotta see our Fodeez Frames - [sold here on Houzz[(https://www.houzz.com/products/adhesive-display-frames-8-piece-organization-collection-beveled-silver-beveled-prvw-vr~52966604)! Our frames use reusable adhesive, similar to a sticky note, under the frame area only. They are reusable hundreds of times, and they look really great - not cluttered. It took our inventor, Valarie Moody, four years of research and development to come up with a solution to post kids art on her new fridge. We'd love to see your feedback!

• danastartt
    5 years ago

There is a product called the Choopaboard (www.choopaboard).. It is a magnetic board that can adhere to your fridge, is removable, and won't ruin the finish of the stainless door.

• baileysr
    5 years ago
    Stuff on fridges is not attractive, even if it is your children’s artwork. Find a little wall space and make a decorative clothespin/clothesline to hang pictures temporarily. And if I were you, I’d edit it frequently so it does not become a jumbled and cluttered mess.
  • shirlpp
    5 years ago

I know this post is old, but I agree - stuff on a refrigerator is one of my top 5 pet peeves. It NEVER looks nice - always messy. Not sure who thought this was a good idea. I display my son's artwork in the hallway upstairs near the bedrooms.

• cpaul1
    5 years ago

Find another place for kids art work, like in their room.

• Anne Duke
    5 years ago
    They only bring home art for a few years. Have a he❤️
  • baileysr
    5 years ago

Shannon, I am not a hater and I am offended by your name calling. When someone asks for advice about a path they want to pursue, and others see problems with that path, or perhaps better paths, then they are are trying to help someone from making a mistake and they are not "hating" by suggesting other options. There are many ways to display children's artwork in a way that is both fun and respectful of their efforts (frame them, find a nice wall to clip them onto with cute rope and clothespins, create an "honor wall" or special shelf...). Hanging them on the fridge is not one of them. I know, I hung my daughter's art on the fridge for many years, and regret it. The fridge becomes a cluttered dumping ground, the papers get jostled and crooked because of the opening and closing of the fridge door, the papers curl up/torn because they can't be properly mounted, and inevitably the ketchup gets spilled on it. A fridge is a working appliance, not a proper art display. Those of us who are offering other suggestions are not "hating," but rather offering advice from experience. Get off your high horse.

• shirlpp
    5 years ago

Shannon...It appears that you are new to Houzz according to the number of comments you've made overall on Houzz. Is this a sore point for you, because the outside of your fridge is full of pictures and other stuff?

• jenwen
    5 years ago

There are command strips just for artwork and posters. They come off easily when you need to remove them. If you want to put anything on your fridge, by all means let your children know that you are proud of their efforts.