Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gymbugmj2k

Layout for Office/Loft area

gymbugmj2k
11 years ago
Hello!
I am looking for layout ideas for our loft area in our newlywed/new home. The loft overlooks our family room and front entryway, and we're currently using the space as our home office and library/lounge/2nd living space. We have no children, and prefer a clean line "transitional" style.

Clearly we haven't finished purchasing furniture, and it's partly due to the fact that I'm COMPLETELY stuck on what to do for the layout of this room. Below is a list of items/features that we'd like to include. Please help us with layouts and ideas on how to maximize our space and storage in this room!

- Space for both our computer setups. we prefer to hide cords as much as possible. (current desks are 60in long. they're new, but if they have to go, they can go.)
- space for files and important papers (we have 1 drawer each in our desks, but that's starting to get tight)
- space for some sort of supply closet/armoire (we have no closet space in this room so we need a storage solution for office supplies!)
- small sofa (2 seater. we have 2 bedrooms, so we'd like this to be a sleeper sofa to serve the purpose of lounge area and emergency guest room)
- 2 chairs (to flank the table on the railing creating a reading area)
-access to doorway out to the deck
-other items to make this space more functional and cool?
- we prefer to keep as 'open' a feel as possible, but aren't thrilled with the "furniture glued to the walls" effect either. we use this area for random handstands and weightlifting occasionally, so some space to move is good.
- we like the idea of seating that you can swivel along the railing. you can see the TV from there, and we jokingly call it '300 level seating'

Attached is our floorplan, and a few photos of the room (please excuse our random humidifier and other items! we're still getting organized...

I know that's a lot. Clearly we need some help!
Thanks! =)

Comments (6)

• gymbugmj2k
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    ....so quiet. anyone have any ideas for us? =)
  • PRO
    All About Interiors LLC
    11 years ago
    Hi
    You obviously need storage. A bookshelf with cabinets similar to the picture would store books, paperwork, printers files and more. An armoire will do the trick for a small closet for guests and should be placed where your bookcase currently is located. You can hide most cords by getting the stick on plastic wall hangers and snake your cords through them to hide them behind your desk, on a wall etc. The small sofa can go perpendicular to the armoire facing the railing about half way in the room to seperate your seating area from your office area. Two chairs, that are on the smaller scale can go against the railing for a reading nook facing the couch. I see that you have some lighting issues. I would address this first and foremost. Since you will mostly be doing reading, computer work or paperwork here, I would suggest some recessed lighting on dimmers so you can control the amount of light. I would also place a lamp on that small table for additional light when reading. I am not sure what your budget allows for since you didn't include that information but I hope this helps.
  • gymbugmj2k
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    thank you for the ideas!

I agree we need some sort of storage solution, and I do like the mix of cabinet and shelving that you suggested. I'm not a huge fan of completely separating both spaces using the couch just simply due to our floorspace preference.... but i'll definitely try it! who knows, it might work!

we sadly do not have the budget (or the desire) to install recessed lighting at this point. There will definitely be another reading lamp by the railing (we'll have to hide that cord somehow...), and we do have an overhead fan and skylight just beyond the railing that sheds a good amount of light throughout the whole house...perks of open floorplans! so yes - while it looks dark at night, it's actually quite bright during the day =)
  • Manon Floreat
    11 years ago
    I'm thinking a combination of something like the below may work for you. The desks and upper shelving could run along the west well as shown in the first photo with a return that wraps around the north wall, as shown in the second photo. The shelving unit above could incorporate doors for a neat appearance. The return could have a couple of filing cabinets beneath it for files. Above it a great large scale canvas.

Home Office for Two, Roslyn · More Info

Harlem Residence Office · More Info

On the east wall a studio sofa or day bed would serve as a spare bed and a place to lounge. A storage ottoman before it could hold linens or other items. Then before the railing, a couple of swivel chairs would complete the furnishings.

Below is a furniture plan and furnishing items that may work for you.
  • Blue
    11 years ago
    I love the suggestions from Manon. If you have the budget for all new things, I'd go for it. If not, you might try putting the desks back to back - either out in the middle of the room, or with edges up against one of the walls. That can sometimes buy you more walking around space without hugging walls. I used that setup once when I shared an office and I really liked it. .
    For wires, search on houzz for Cable Management. Tons of great solutions.
  • gymbugmj2k
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @Manon -- LOVE those ideas and floorplan! That's pretty much what hubby and I have been knocking around in our heads (we even had found/liked that first photo! haha). We like how that would give us both an open, adjustable-if-needed work area, without being too intrusive into the room. It would also give us plenty of storage. I think the only things holding us back from that would be cost to build and permanence (if we did built-ins, we'd have to keep that layout!)

overall you hit our home's style perfectly. we even have grey couches in the family room! if that chair didn't have the skirting, it would be perfect.

@Blue - we did originally want our two desks pushed together (so that we'd face each other) on the wall with the door to the deck (opposite the railing).... but found that our 5ft desks extended too far into the room and made much of the rest of the room awkward. the only wall we'd fit side by side would be the wall next to the door. any other wall would have us blocking air vents. we might try disconnecting computers and moving our desks around just to see if anything else would work though...

thanks for the suggestions! this is definitely helping us =)