Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
czone

Color of drapes? Stripes or not? Sheer or not?

Bobbie S
11 years ago
Hi,

Would like some recommendations on colors and styles for these windows. I like a grommet top.

Comments (280)

• Bobbie S
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Ok. I will nix the green. I agree, I don't want it to be too dark. I sent her a pic of my room and she asked if I wanted the red burgundy lol. The chair has a dark rust in it. So maybe ill have make it look more reddish? I'm going to paint the wall Bm chocolate truffle so I want the creamy colors to dominate so it pops. Does that sound right?

So I will tell her add a reddish close to sofa color and maybe a lighter gold with the cream?

Yes??
  • Bobbie S
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The price was for each..
  • PRO
    Sherri Fitzgerald - Ultimate Decor
    11 years ago
    Yes that sounds better. I think you will love the chocolate truffle!! Red, Gold and cream will be nice together in the room. Btw are the other walls staying the same color they are now? Just wondering....they are a nice color...I just wasnt sure if you were changing them
  • Bobbie S
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Oh no! The walls are builders paint lol!

I need a nice not too yellow creamy color. Any ideas?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I usually deal with Benjamine Moore because I have all their paint samples and can see the colors in front of me. Putting some creams next to chocolate truffle these are my favorites ... but again get the samples and look at them in your room.
    http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/opaline#ce_s=oc-33
    http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/oc-6#ce_s=oc-6
    http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/oc-6#ce_s=oc-6
    http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/gentlecream#ce_s=oc-96
  • Bobbie S
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks!

Do you think that's the way to go?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I think a cream will keep it light with the Brown as a feature wall...if I were you I would paint the brown wall first...it may look good with the paint you have....if not go ahead and paint the rest.
  • Bobbie S
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I won't leave it the same lol..
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    LOL...that's funny..so either take samples of all your stuff with you to the paint store or bring the paint color swatches home...make sure you are getting the right one.be sure to have the chocolate truffle paint swatch with you too.
  • Bobbie S
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Here's my vase...
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    240 comments?
  • Bobbie S
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes, this is ongoing lol..
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Much nicer!!! Do you like it?
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    Sherri Fitzgerald is very helpful!
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    And patient!
  • Bobbie S
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes I like it much better.

And yes, Sherri is all of those things and I appreciate it.
  • PRO
    Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
    11 years ago
    Bobbie: Sorry, somehow I missed your last inquirey but it looks like you have plenty of support for a successful room. I'd like to see your results or, the progress you've made. Best, Jeff
  • Bobbie S
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I can't wait to show you guys when it's done. My curtains should be here this week and the rods are up and ready. Soon I will have it ready!

Thanks for the help. I understand why you do what you do and get paid for it!! I can imagine the challenge of different personalities and styles must be difficult. I'm a hairdresser so I understand! But really appreciate everything and everyone who has helped me!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Thanks. I've enjoyed being part of this discussion. I wish I could help more people with Houzz. There are so many people with an idea they like or a dilemma they are stuck on.....but no idea how to make it happen in their room...it isn't easy guiding them over the internet...but it can be done...I think most people on Houzz who take on a project see the importance of a professional decorator but many feel they can't afford one...when really a few hours with someone who knows what they are doing can save them a lot of money in mistakes trying to do it on their own. Like I said I have had fun with this one and can't wait to see the end results!!
  • Bobbie S
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Here are the drapes!

I love them. It makes a huge difference in the room. I will try and get a better pic.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Wow ..what a big difference!! You must be soooo happy to finally have them! It was worth the wait.
  • Bobbie S
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes it was! Ill try an get a better pic up.
  • Bobbie S
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Color
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Looks very nice. Good color choice.
  • PRO
    studio | FORMA
    11 years ago
    Good Job! it looks beautiful
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Any new updates with your room?
  • Bobbie S
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Not yet. Waiting on artwork. Here are some pics she sent. The one photo shopped in is without the red tone. Then after she added as an accent.
    My chair is not on that position.
  • Bobbie S
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    More..
  • Bobbie S
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I really like them. What do you think? She's finishing this week.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    They are very nice. Once the wall is painted they will look amazing!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Bobby I have been looking back over this discussion and seeing the progress of your room. It is coming along nicely. I still like the Satchel color best for your accent wall where these pictures will go. But whatever color you choose I still would advise you to either purchase the large paint swatch or a paint sample to view it on the wall first. It may seem dark when you do it but that depth of color in the satchel will pull your room together and make all your peices look warm and rich. One more piece of advice...if you eventually get more accent cushions or any other artwork this time stay away from circles and swirls. What you have now along with your new art creates a nice theme throughout the room as it is.... but any more would be too much. Another pattern that would complement your room would be a stripe in an accent pillow or even solids in a variety of colors already in the room. I wasn,t sure how much further you will go with getting stuff for the room but I thought I should tell you to keep that in mind. I also would advise you to paint the wall before you hang the art and post the pictures. Its all a process ....but I'm anxious to see it all together!!!
  • Patty Eades
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Like the curtains and placement very much.....I do have to say I prefer the sofa floating in the first picture you posted as I think it now interfers with your window wall which is a focal point in your room...good luck
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Here are the paint ideas... not exact colors but you can see the effect
  • Bobbie S
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I was going to do chocolate truffle. Not satchel. Thanks for the other advice!!

Weird how I go
    To circles. Lol
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I would get the swatches for both the Truffl and satchel and see which looks best in the room. They are both nice colors.
  • Bobbie S
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Very cool!! Thanks!!
    What are these colors?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I was trying to get colors simular to the ones I suggested above like limeade or satchel. I think the satchel has less orange than the color above. Thats why I think it will be nice and the limade would be brighter. If it was my house I would do the satchel or Truffle in the living area and the limeade in the dining room.
  • Bobbie S
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Is satchel lighter? I looked it up I like it.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Yes it's more of a camel brown that will compliment the golds and reds but not too dark. There is another Benjamin Moore paint called "penny" 2163-30 that would have a simular effect. You should check them all out. I think you'll know as soon as you bring the samples in your room . Another bright green I love from Benjamin Moore is " dill pickle" 2147-40. I've used it in a lot of kitchen and dining areas because it is so cheerful.
  • PRO
    Total Wallcovering
    11 years ago
    Seems like you are going to the Tuscan look
  • Bobbie S
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I do like Tuscan..:)
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Hi Bobby! How are things progressing with the living and dining room?
  • Bobbie S
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi!!

No paint yet. June 14 the builder is coming to do some minor repairs ( nail pops etc) so we are waiting. I will keep you posted!! Thanks
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    I chose these

[houzz=
    Plaid Silk Drapes · More Info
    ]
  • Spencer Betz
    10 years ago
    I found this gorgeous fabric but may be a bit to burgundy for your sofa... It's silk and the green strip would really make any plants in the room pop... There are many on Etsy that make custom drapes from your fabric! Here is a great place for fabric: http://www.fabricwarehousedirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=3078&zenid=043sa5935lh8iaj4k4t5t8iho4
  • PRO
    Digital drafting designs
    10 years ago
    Also move the couch off of the rug the rug is to small to house a couch on it and then by a coffee table to put on the rug.
  • PRO
    Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
    10 years ago
    How are doing with your window treatments? I noticed this posting again and thought to check in with some other thoughts. It's pretty clear from your photograph that the window wall needs finishing. There are lots of creative ways you might handle this besides straight panels in pretty fabric. I've done this one and it has been a hit each time. Have three low screens made and cover then in a fabric or wallpaper you like. Then place each one in front of each window. Your screens would be high enough to hide the bottom of the window sills, say 30" tall. Each screen would have three sections hinged together maybe 18" wide.
    They can be trimmed with nail heads or a woven band. Don't use a busy pattern but something that adds interest like a horizontal stripe or a diamond pattern.
    At the tops of the windows install small curtain rod-brackets. For a casual look, bundle some bamboo cut to about 3" wider than each window. Tie these together with natural hemp twine and loop around the drapery brackets.
    Another topper could be a cornice, padded and edged with banding. The bamboo idea works with anything similar. Driftwood, musical instruments etc.
  • C&T Brooks (VA, Zone 7a)
    8 years ago

So many great ideas! You have a lovely room and I really like the combination of warm colors. Everyone has submitted many great options on fabric choices so I'm not going to chime in there. I would like to add a comment about hanging the curtains. I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but rather than three separate curtain rods, I think you should do one long rod to make your windows look larger and eliminate the little slivers of wall in between. It would be so beautiful in your room.

• rocketjcat
    8 years ago
    Post was from 2013.
  • J Villa
    6 years ago
    Can we ask for an update on this? I just read through the whole thread and now I’m hooked lol