Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solarsam

Need some ideas for a sunroom

solarsam
11 years ago
Hi - This sunroom (don't mind the messy deck behind it) has become nothing more than a catch-all and is only functional for passing through. I'd like to make it a place where we can sit comfortably. It has 3 walls: 1 - 28" deep, another 26" deep and the corner is 23" deep. Obviously, far too many desks, tables and horizontal surfaces that I'd like to see all go. I'm not in love with any of them. Also, an area rug suggestion would be most appreciated. The walls were done by a Faux painter and feature frogs with lily pads. That can go too. Thank you in advance! Can't fit all 5 photos so will attach the 5th next post.

Comments (126)

• groveraxle
    11 years ago
    If you don't want drapes hanging to the floor, here is another option that I think is more stylish than a valance. It's a relaxed Roman shade; it could be mounted over your sliders and be raised and lowered to block the sun. Chic and casual.
    Roman Shades · More Info
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11 years ago
    Painting the wicker is a great idea.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Yes, groveraxle, roman shades will work and still have the idea of a valance type approach. Valance designs can be any top treatment on windows. That is what I was actually trying to convey, just didn't add the specific words.
  • solarsam
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    And, now that I got looking around - 2 more wicker chairs not being used. Gee, I may be able to get this done on a small budget!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11 years ago
    There's the settee grouping. Maybe purchase outdoor fabric cushions. i want to go shopping at your house. tee hee
  • solarsam
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Sometimes when I hear valance I think of a boxy-topped thing, very tailored. I really like those roman shades because most of the time they'd be up they'd have a lot of nice fabric to show just sitting up there without looking boxy. And, you're right - they could be functional when the sun got to be a nuisance.
  • solarsam
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Perfect LB! There's my settee grouping! Wow wow wow
  • solarsam
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Outdoor fabric on big fluffy good chair pillows just may be the ticket.
    Oh God but I hate working on fabrics. I can't make up my mind with so many choices so will pick the first thing I see if it isn't white.

I'm also thinking the blue walls, which have different shades of blue in them, may work well if we bring in some deeper blue in the area rug. Hubby really wants the round table but ok to scratch the desk. So color on the table maybe? Again, then there won't be room for 2 seating groups, if we kept that as the table takes up too much space. But, it does have good wood and nice legs. (I won't make a joke out of that)
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11 years ago
    The round table is for dining. The right side of the room where the hutch is. i bet you have at least 2 dining chairs somewhere? 2- 4 seats around table that is (was) in front of hutch in your pic.
  • solarsam
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Again - one wall is behind the busy kitchen and is quiet (where the corner bookshelf is) and the other potential wall is where the desk is now. That is where people or dogs would be prefer to sit if they want to watch all the activity. Oh, I think I also have some chrome and glass round tables but - ugh. So dated. But, they are breezy. Dogs are fine around them.
  • solarsam
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Gee - I haven't had this much fun in ages!
  • solarsam
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    LB - yes, I have 8 chairs for that table. 4 with arms, 4 w/o. They are country style from an old beach house that matches this table (with leaf) and that bookshelf.
  • solarsam
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I've been slowly getting rid of the chairs around that table for 17 yrs, one at a time. I'm done to none. We have dining for 12 right around the corner.
  • solarsam
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Well, I actually never thought of dining on that round table as a separate spot. hmmm. How cozy.
  • solarsam
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Still have all the chairs, yes.
  • groveraxle
    11 years ago
    Don't forget, you've still got eleven stools to deal with. I'm beginning to suspect your house is where all the furniture in the whole neighborhood goes to die!

A little suggestion if you want to save a workout. Make a drawing of the room roughly to scale (if you have graph paper, it would be great for this), and then cut out little chairs and tables and settees (also to scale) and sit down and play with them. When you think you have an arrangement you like, then move the furniture into place and see how it works.
  • groveraxle
    11 years ago
    BTW, I actually think the blue walls work well with the saltillo, but I would get rid of the frogs and their lily pads. (Your dogs told me they found them disturbing.) I would recommend a solid blue, but you could re-faux the walls yourself; two shades of paint and a sea sponge is all it takes.
  • solarsam
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    groveraxle - yes, trust me, furniture comes into this house and just dies! Never leaves! lol
    We have so many chairs I could knock around a few tables with them.
    What we have is no form and no function in the rooms we like the most.
    Thus, chairs going to waste..
    I also have no confidence in painting. I'll try and take a better shot of the wall. There's some other paraphanlia on them that you might have mistaken for frogs. I'll get a higher up shot.
  • solarsam
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I also love your idea of the graph paper. I've got some around here.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11 years ago
    I'm back, good idea to try the paper cutouts. Please take the length and width of the floor space. That would help a lot. I would really like to see a couple more photos wide angle.
    We could get a better perspective. The measurements would be great!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11 years ago
    I want to see the chrome chairs. Are they vintage, maybe from the 50's?
    They may work with the table by the hutch bookcase.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11 years ago
    My feeling is that you think you have to fit the round table and chairs way in the back of the corner niche. No, you can bring them forward. Dogs can have the yard window side of the room.

Or, Dogs in the niche corner where the hutch is now? Just switch room corner spaces with the round table/chairs and where the long table was. Long table goes in the niche where desk is now.
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    If you want to make the space an extension of the home and cozy, I would not use outdoor furniture. (you have plenty outside). I would suggest a small slipcovered sofa (washable) in front of the window with a small painted coffee table. Take your wicker chair/ottoman at the right of the sofa Remove the corner hutch and put your desk on that wall/niche. Put your round table where the desk is now (put a lamp on it) and flank it with two of your wicker chairs. Paint the walls a pretty aqua blue. (Flank the outdoor pots/plants with the sofa even tho they are outside). Ground the sitting area with an indoor/outdoor rug (for the puppies). If there is space, you can use the small table behind the sofa (with the drawers facing the windows) as a sofa table.
    Rie · More Info

Antiqued Aqua Paint · More Info

Oriental Turkish, Aqua · More Info
  • solarsam
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    You know dogs, LB! They would love that niche in the corner. I understand about them using the outer perimeter of a cozy seating area instead of trying to be IN it. They'd be just fine with that.
    Not sure what you mean by the long table. The table with the 2 metal bins in it is about 1/2 the length of the desk and about the same width. I do think the 'round' table would take up too much space in that corner. Will definitely get measurements of room tomorrow so that would be helpful. So many tables, so little time! Thanks again!
  • solarsam
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Darzy - another great idea. I'm totally mulling it around as I do like the idea of a sofa of some kind and not just a wicker one. (some of this wicker is some of the first furniture we had when first married and it's not comfortable; never thought I'd sit in it again, but I didn't have the right cushions then either) Not sure if I've got space for chairs And tables. But, does not preclude me from finding another table that would fit behind something. Will put that on my new graph paper too! Thanks.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11 years ago
    About the possible dog corner. Keep the hutch where it is, if not changing it. leave the rest of that corner for the dogs.
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    We have three dogs. One is in the lap at two at the feet! They never stay in their "corner!" lol
  • solarsam
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    lol Darzy, understand. I would actually like to sit in this room with my dogs on my lap. My dogs are all lapdogs.
  • solarsam
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    One of my 3 buddies. Luther. #14 Top Great Dane in the country last year. Brag and fluffing my pillows.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11 years ago
    Man, they must be heavy. hats off to you.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11 years ago
    Yes, Darzy, since most dogs don't stay where you expect them to. I would design the room for how I want to use it and the left over space for the dogs. Taking the measurements will help. That's where they will probably be anyway, other than your lap.
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    Beatiful dogs Solarsam! They look like Royalty. :)
  • solarsam
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I think a couple of those big wicker chairs would work if the dogs wanted to sit in them, where the desk is now. I like that idea. Small table between. Then we can all observe the happenings in the kitchen..or whoever is sitting there. Love the teal color! I could paint that little table sitting by the sliding doors or use as is. It's kind of cute. (it's way up high on this post and too small to see probably)
    Ok, that side of the room may be forming.. Too bad that bin table wouldn't fit behind them with a lamp on it..
  • solarsam
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks everyone! Yes, it's about 600 #'s of dog but, don't forget, they've got PLENTY of places to be and sit and veg than just this room. This is gonna be MY room. :) They may get invited in and they WILL sit in their corners. They may use the chairs on occasion but I'm with somebody who said who wants to change slipcovers all the time? I agree. I do that on all the other furniture already. OK, I'm so rethinking my room now!
  • solarsam
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Sorry, one of 4 buddies, not 3. Didn't mean to leave Romeo off that list. He's our old guy.
  • onthefence
    11 years ago
    I dunno solarsam. Romeo is looking a bit peeved/hurt to have been left of the list.

A treat may be in order.
  • solarsam
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    lol...okaaay ... but, he's the guy who loves to be outside ALL the time.
  • solarsam
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Old guy keeps saying...down the hill...down the hill...please..
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11 years ago
    I think this might help, since you own so many pieces of furniture to play around with,

1st - Pick an area and place the settee grouping . I suggested the left side of the room in your pic. You have lots of options presented to you.

Move the long table with bins where you like.

Create a dining area (game table) of 4 chairs with your round table in optional different areas suggested. Start moving things around.

You will decide quicker because you have the furniture already. You can always buy new later.

Now you have a floorplan that you like and you will know what to buy when the time comes. You will know how it feels in the room and how you want to use it.

Then you have to post the pics, ok?
  • solarsam
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you! I'll do just that - great idea. And, will definitely post pics during the process.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11 years ago
    What are the barstools, not aware when there was a post for that?
  • groveraxle
    11 years ago
    OMG, love the danes! You could eliminate all furniture from the room and leave it bare except for a big fluffy rug. Then we could roll around on the floor with them! JK
  • solarsam
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Oh, thanks groveraxle - now, that is not a bad idea! Big fluffy rug, some funky Portlandia art and we're off to the races. Dogs would love it.

LB - uhh.. I had another thread called 'Help with Husband - and barstools' and got some tremendously funny responses back.

As it turns out, the barstools arrived today and I need to post something on that thread about it. And, it's a big groan.. argh.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11 years ago
    Are the barstools going in this room too?
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    solarsam...your "need help with husband" thread had me in tears! lol

For this space, I still want a comfy spot to lounge in. (That you see when you look into the room). Make the room look inviting and want to come in). How about a denim sofa? Hide the desk on the other wall for your laptop). I think you already have lots of wonderful items to furnish your room. With the exception of comfy sofa. If you have your table where the desk is (use it as "side" table with two wicker chairs flanking the table). I'm sorry, you don't need that wonderful little piece of quirky art above the desk because I WANT it. :)
  • solarsam
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Darcy, found my leetle 5 o'clock mouse in New Orleans - special piece ;) Thank you.
    I'm also leaning towards some kind of comfy couch (like the denim idea too!) instead of soley wicker, but the wicker will work. I do want to get rid of the desk completly as it's using up too much 'sittin space'. (don't need it for a laptop)
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    Yes, the wicker will work too as your side chairs. Funny, I bought a "jeweled" carousel horse on a stand in a small shop in New Orleans about 1978 and spent $280 for it. It was a HUGE expense for me then. I simply cannot part with it so i "make it work" somewhere. :)
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11 years ago
    I just found your "husband" thread. Loved it. I have a husband like all of you. If it's not broke, why change it?
  • solarsam
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi all. I just wanted to thank you again for all your help on my sunroom. I am still working on it and your ideas have been incredibly fantastic. I have run into a bit of a roadblock with clearing out some of hubby's garage space to make room to get rid of the 'desk' in this sunroom and store it, that I want to remove before I can add my chairs. So, we are working on him getting rid of a gas barrel (for Y2K I think) and an old recliner and a fridge.. I will post pictures once I get this project started. Thanks for ALL your help and patience!
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the update solarsam. We are looking forward to your new sunroom designs.