meyterfam

Oak kitchen cabinets

meyterfam
8 years ago
Functional and in good shape but so out of style

Comments (3)

• jhmarie
    8 years ago

Not really. I saw a million dollar home listing today with lovely oak cabinets. A month ago, I went to ask a local cabinetmaker about something I needed and his truck was loading up with a brand new kitchen of custom oak cabinets. Oak cabinets still sell in my area. Most people cannot afford to change out expensive kitchen surfaces because of "style". Few have the kind of money required to have a current, on trend kitchen as dictated by the interior design industry and certain shows on HGTV.

If you post some pictures, you will get some advice on how to make the most of your kitchen. Some will advise painting the cabinets. I don't usually recommend that if they are in good shape because an amateur job can devalue the cabinets and a professional job can be expensive. Oak is not a paint grade wood because the texture of the grain shows through - some people don't mind this but others do. Painted oak cabinets look like painted oak cabinets - and for some that works out great giving a bright kitchen. Others are disappointed. The cabinets could also be refaced for a different look - this can also be expensive, but often less than new cabinets.

You might want to start by adding some design elements that add to the character and charm of the kitchen without painting - these include changing out some of the upper cabinet panels to glass, adding more interesting cabinetry like a plate rail, changing out your stove hood, changing counters and backsplash. If there is too much oak, you can remove some upper cabinets and add some shelves, or removing a wall of cabinets and replacing with a hutch or other "furniture" type storage piece.

Changing out your pulls and knobs is another way to "update".

• Nancy Travisinteriors
    8 years ago
    You could paint them white. Add brush nickel pulls. For a updated look. I don't agree, that Oak is in. It's a very dated look now. If painting make sure you use one made for cabs. Lowes sells.
  • hayleydaniels
    8 years ago

I agree with jhmarie. Oak has fallen into disfavor because people associate it with their parents and grandparents kitchens. And some oak cabinets are more attractive than others just as some jeans thongs [flip-flops] look better than others, but will be in style until the end of time.

The golden oak cabinets with brass hardware can easily be toned down by changing the hardware to oil rubbed bronze to bring out the deeper amber color of the wood. We did that when we redid our kitchen, and the change was remarkable.

You don't mention a budget or what you want to do other than that your cabinets are out of style. If you want them painted, hire it done unless you're an avid DIYer with lots of experience spray painting. And even then, keep in mind that wood expands and contracts so painted cabinets often end up with cracks in the paint around the seams or joints. There was a thread about this just the other day.

And like jhmarie pointed out, redoing the countertop, backspash and hardware will go a long ways to upgrading and modernizing your kitchen without replacing your cabinets.