Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cappergirl

knobs and pulls for custom cabinets in kitchen and master bath

cappergirl
8 years ago

suggestions? if anyone is good at this sort of thing and can help, i will love you forever...

***here is what i have so far for kitchen***

pulls: http://www.topknobs.com/products/pulls.html?___SID=15483841cf141c691af89d976269942eU&collectionname=3394&finish=3198#view/M916

with this knob: http://www.topknobs.com/products/knobs/round.html?___SID=15483841cf141c691af89d976269942eU&finish=3198#view/M770

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

or these pulls: http://alnoinc.com/product/charlie-collection-a726-35/

with this knob: http://alnoinc.com/product/knobs-a1151/

in either chocolate bronze or barcelona finish

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

pics of cabinets in kitchen:

***nothing yet for bathroom*** i'm thinking to go with a round knob in bathroom. ???

and here is bathroom:

Comments (68)

• barbarasc
    8 years ago

I wanted to be very sure I liked my cabinet knobs, so I wanted to see and feel them first. ATG Stores is a huge supply resource and I found them to have excellent service. They have filters so you can narrow down the selection by brand, color, material, price, any number of things. You can order one knob and it is sent with free shipping. There are even return policies to send things back for the more expensive knobs, or for a group from the same manufacturer. Single cheaper knobs might cost more to return than they are worth. I found I could use the left over knobs to made hanging boards for the laundry, mudroom, and pantry. Just attach the knobs to a painted board and then hang for all sorts of uses. One piece of advice: Do not get squared knobs no matter how much you love them. They twist with use and you are constantly trying to get them squared again. I love my knobs and was happy for the chance to have a wide selection. Good luck!

cappergirl thanked barbarasc
  • PRO
    Carey Long
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I think some Colors would look great on your Hardware. These are so Reasonably Priced and Custom Painted with Permanent Sealing so they won't chip or fade with regular use. https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheTurquoiseCottage

• bonitasuellen
    8 years ago

I'm just the opposite of Dee. I use pulls on doors and knobs on drawers. I just updated mine from white round (1980's) to the oil rubbed bronze, now I'm working on updating the stove, microwave and counter tops.

• bonitasuellen
    8 years ago

My husband is in a wheelchair, that's why it's open under the sink. I'd appreciate any ideas of a way to hide this without limiting his access.

• raem3814
    8 years ago

Cappergirl. Just went through this with my bath. Our cabinets are very similar. I went with the finish on my knobs to match the finish on my faucet. Since mine is not a large area I wanted to have a similar look and chose the bin drawer pulls which I love. One suggestion I will make is have your husband try your pulls and knobs or you will be constantly be cleaning fingerprints off your cupboards!

• PRO
    Interior Functions IF
    8 years ago

Important things to consider- make sure your hand fits behind the pull so finger nails, or dirty fingers don't touch the cabinet face - this makes easier care and cleaning- also, knobs can catch on clothing(pockets etc) consider prior to placing knobs. Square/oval knobs sometimes twist if the pc of hardware doesn't have a back projection to pound into the wood.

My suggestion is the longer pulls look very nice on your cabinet style. and up to 3-4 types of handles/knobs can be used in a kitchen. Be sure to place pulls on drawers the same center line from the top as the top drawer is(not in the center of those big drawers as you need to bend further to grab them.) A darker knob on light cabinets sometimes has the polka dot effect vs. adding to the lines the cabinets now show.

cappergirl thanked Interior Functions IF
  • cappergirl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So you mean on the large panel but just not in the center? Rather towards the top of it? Or do you mean at the very top/frame part of the drawer (outside of the block in the center)?

• PRO
    Interior Functions IF
    8 years ago

Not the "rail" or top of the frame, but the solid center panel- trying to attach a quick sketch

cappergirl thanked Interior Functions IF
  • PRO
  • cappergirl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, okay. That's what I thought you meant. Thanks! I will need that, as I have a hurt back!

• raem3814
    8 years ago

cappergirl google the placement of knobs and pulls. It will give you lots of help and ideas. It really helped me.

cappergirl thanked raem3814
  • meora
    8 years ago

I have oil rubbed bronze in my kitchen and chrome in the bathroom. Both have round knobs for the cabinets and pulls for drawers.

• pamesue
    8 years ago

I have ripped pockets, buttons and seams with hardware in my kitchen and bathrooms. I concur with ringle1, make sure what you get is clothing friendly. I've actually taken off the hardware in my bathroom at hip-level (I'm short) because of the damage. Plus, the hub-a-dub sometimes wears overalls, I can't tell you how many knobs and/or cabinet drawers he's broken catching them in his "hammer-loop". Now that we're renovating a new kitchen, I'm currently rethinking the whole hardware issue on the cabinets; pretty. but utilitarian.

• PRO
    Dura Supreme Cabinetry
    8 years ago

I like your choices from Top Knobs. It reminds me a little bit of this kitchen... Traditional and classic. Mandi @ Dura

A Decidedly Painterly Palette of Finishes · More Info

• Celeste Greco Kotuby
    8 years ago

My sister just built her home, and did knobs on the doors, pulls on the drawers. She went traditional but as a "surprise" she put a rooster knob on one top door, and an Anthropologie Fox pull on a bottom drawer! She use ATGstores and found them very easy to deal with, they matched prices on non-sale items from other sites, plus 10%, and free shipping. What line of cabinets did you use? I'm considering something similar from Showplace Wood Products. Are your cabinets painted, then glazed? I love that look but my local dealer warned my against it, saying that if the cabinet was damaged it was difficult to restore the finish. Thoughts? Good luck finding your perfect hardware. https://www.atgstores.com/cabinet-knobs/mng-hardware-1091-textures-rooster-knob_g387282.html?ProductSlot=1

• PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    8 years ago

I personally prefer pulls for all hardware even though I like the look of mixing the two. For some reason I always seem to loosen the knobs if the drawers or cabinets are used alot. Eventually the knob's screw strips the wood and I have to fix it to hold. No problem with pulls.

• leshus
    8 years ago

Cappergirl

KEEP IT SIMPLE - since you have so many cabinets it is important not to go too fancy or large. Your cabinets are very nice so they should be the focal point NOT the hardware. If your floor and or counter tops are dark then use an oil rubbed bronze finish. I used knobs on drawers and on cabinets, handles on garbage drawer and dishwasher. Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware have excellent choices.

• cappergirl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

yes, i have medium to dark hardwood floors (not installed yet) and typhoon bordeaux countertops, which has a lot of different colors in it, light and dark. i am thinking of the oil rubbed bronze or something similar, but not black. i definitely want pulls on drawers and knobs on doors, with the exception of the pantry doors...i think i will get the same pulls in a longer length and place them vertically. knobs are going to look weird there. i saw the cabinets in person for the first time yesterday and they look very good. the knob i picked out from top knobs looked too small and too ornate though. i didn't like it at all. but the top knobs edwardian pull looked good. and it does come in different sizes. it is the kind that will catch clothing though since it extends a little at the edges. i had been leaning toward the alno one though. it's simpler, which will let the cabinets stand out. i don't have a sample of it yet. i can't really decide until i see them side by side. i might have to go to a hardware store and buy one so i can compare them.

• cappergirl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

one thing i noticed though. i was trying to avoid having 2 pulls side by side on a drawer and was just going to use one large pull for the heavy and the widest drawers. however, the widest drawer (to the right of the pantry) is pretty wide, wider than i thought. too wide for just one pull i think, unless i use 3 different sizes of the same pull and make that one really big. so now i am thinking to do 2 medium length pulls side by side for that one set of 3 drawers. will that be weird though? to have that be the only set of drawers with 2 pulls side by side?

• leshus
    8 years ago

cappergirl

How large is the drawer and what are you going to put in it? I would avoid using 2 pulls on one drawer, use one larger pull that matches the other hardware. As long as the pulls are the same style it won't matter if one is different. Going to a hardware store and buying different sizes and using them to eyeball how it looks is a very good idea. Trust your taste you are on the right track.

• PRO
    Loribeth Clark
    8 years ago

The granite you selected has a lot of movement in the pattern. It is going to be center stage and the star of the show, so I would go with very simple cabinet hardware in an oil rubbed bronze. Get something that feels very comfortable when you open and close the drawers and cabinets. But you seriously do not want anything elaborate or fancy for hardware at this point, because your cabinets are very detailed and your countertop has a lot of pattern.

• cappergirl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

loribeth, i think you're right. i was going back to the top knobs edwardian one because it comes in good sizes, but it is a bit ornate, considering the busy granite and the detail on the cabinets. the backsplash will be very tame, 2 x 8 subway tile in probably a taupe color. but on the pulls, it seems i am back to square one again. the alno charlie pull is simpler, which i like, feels very nice, and it comes in 3", 3.5", and 4" center to center, but doesn't come in the 5.5" ctc. the next size up is 6" ctc so the total length is 6.5", which is way too long and i think the projection will be bigger as well, so it will stick out too far. so if i go w the alno, i would probably go with the 4" ctc throughout, which is 4.5" length total. but that means definitely 2 pulls side by side on that wide set of drawers...

• bunnyllg
    8 years ago
    I found this Top Knob cabinet pull to be simple and functional and it looks great with my glazed cream cabinets.
  • cappergirl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks! Is this 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" diameter? The 1 1/4" swirl one i originally chose looked too small to me. But not sure if it's because of the swirl, which i thought i would like and didn't like in person.

• bunnyllg
    8 years ago
    I am not sure as I am not home to measure.
  • bonitasuellen
    8 years ago

For heavens sake, just go to Lowe's for around 4-5 dollars you can get beautiful knobs. I couldn't believe the prices at those other places. Oh and while I'm venting; I don't like the black ones either.

• bonitasuellen
    8 years ago

There are some pics you might want to look at before you decide at the Hgtv website. #fixer upper. It has a pic of the double pulls on drawers; it doesn't look bad.

• cappergirl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

i don't think it looks bad. i'm just wondering if it's okay to have just that one set of 3 wide drawers with the double pulls. but i don't really see any other option.

• rizos4312
    8 years ago

Your kitchen cabinets are similar to mine. These are the knobs and pulls I chose - the style is called Bremen 1 and the color is brushed bronze. They are from www.hardwareresources.com. Good luck!

• cappergirl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

do you have a picture of them installed that you can share?

• cappergirl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

ooh, thanks, i like these. i think i like the bremen 2 even better for mine! http://www.hardwareresources.com/by-product-type/knobs-and-pulls.html?finish=6403&p=5&type=5459#view/537DBAC ...and it comes in 2 sizes! i'm lovin' you right now!

• rizos4312
    8 years ago

Both of those are nice choices. My husband prefers simple lines so I felt that the Bremen 1 was a good compromise. Here are a few pics. The lighting is off because we have few lights in the kitchen right now. The last one is with the flash from the phone - cabinets look much whiter than they are.

• v f
    8 years ago

I am remodeling a master bathroom and just replaced old traditional cabinets' door knobs with modern, They gave the cabinets a modern custom look. Go to Build.com. they have the best selection and the best pricing. They are also very willing to negotiate (drop prices). Just ask. VF

• cappergirl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

it looks really nice. what is the length of those bremen 1 pulls?

• Nancy Wilson
    8 years ago
    I am looking to accessorize the mantle and wall above the fireplace. This is a living room adjoining a library/family room. The armor is a repurposed wine closet. We too down the wall in the family room where it used to be.
  • cappergirl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

nancy9136, did you mean to post here? you can start a new discussion asking for advice by going to "Advice" at top right of the houzz.com page.

• cappergirl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Rizos4312, i decided to go with the bremen 2. Just deciding on the knob. Waiting for the samples to arrive! Thanks for your help!

• TC Hudson
    8 years ago

Absolutely check out ebay.com. I began with one idea in mind and ended up with something totally different, but absolutely perfect! Large antique bronze knobs- 27 of them for $30!

• mumford56
    8 years ago

My neighbor had pulls made out of forks. They're fabulous. She bought the odd, unmatched forks at a flea market. Always use pulls. They're helpful when your hands are full, and just one finger can get the cabinet open. And as you age, you may find that arthritic fingers make knobs difficult to use. (Yes, 50 year olds get them, too).

• dpechon
    8 years ago
    Find a brand and finish you like and coordinate with different styles.
  • drix226
    8 years ago
  • cappergirl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

nice! knobs and pulls are on. will post a picture soon. trying to figure out paint now...

• PRO
    Talianko Design Group, LLC
    8 years ago

Try my knobs.com They have everything. Be mindful of other hardware in your home. Black is neutral but nickel and brass may cause a conflict if you have them in adjacent rooms and go with the opposite.

http://www.myknobs.com

• Lana Di Carmine
    8 years ago

I just had upper and lower black cabinets installed. I also had a light grey island installed, too. My designer convinced me to go with all brushed nickel drawer pulls for everything. My husband is not so sure...he thought knobs would be better for the uppers. I just hope it looks as great as my designer thinks it will. Another concern is that I have two skinny pull out doors for trays and spices next to the sink and stove. Should I put knobs there instead or keep the drawer pulls installed vertically, like the upper cabinets?

• cappergirl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

i had the same dilemma but only one skinny pull out. we decided that since it was the only one, it would look weird with the vertical pull on it, so we made it a knob. i am not a big fan of vertical pulls anywhere, but that's just me.

• cappergirl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

here are some final pictures. i thought i had posted them already. thank you to everyone who helped with suggestions and sourcing hardware. i love my new kitchen!

• Lana Di Carmine
    8 years ago

Thanks for the advice! I think I might use knobs on the skinny lowers. My sink and stove are pretty much set up like yours. However, I have one skinny pullout (spice racks) to the right of the sink (was supposed to go next to the stove, but was already installed when I saw it), and the other is a skinny door for the trays right next to the stove on the left. I just ordered everything prior to posting my question, but I can always get two knobs. Thanks again!

• cappergirl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

sounds like yours is at least closer! i wanted the pullout spice rack next to the stove, but it messed up the symmetry, so it's over by the garbage pullout, on the left side of the sink, far away from the stove! makes no sense to put spices over there. i caught that before they did it, but they weren't really able to change it without eliminating the corner pullouts, so i went with it the way it is. so i now have a rotating spice rack on the counter to the right of the stove (this picture was taken before i got it), and the pullout will be used for foil, ziploks, etc. once i get the inserts put in for it. it took me FOREVER to choose knobs and pulls, but i'm happy with what i ended up with. and i ended up paying far less than i was originally going to pay. (i had originally chosen Alno hardware that was $20 a piece--hahahaha! i can't believe i even considered those!)...