Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucidos

Opinions please for my sleeping porch - sunroom - 3 season porch!

lucidos
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I have an old 105+ year home. On the 2nd floor is a porch that used to be called a sleeping porch. It has become the I dunno where to put that room. It is not heated, the electrical was the last of the old knob and tube and not useable the electrician will sort that part out. I have spent about 120 woman hours in there scraping paint, caulking, priming, sanding due to neglect and water damage while we were away. The room is about 10 1/2 feet by 11 feet.

The room still has a bit more work to do but I can now start thinking about decor. My questions - in no order of importance.If you look in my ideabook you will find more info on it.

1. Drapery length - they will be going on swinging rods.

2. Wall color - do I do stark or a softer white or ivory or cream.

3. Window trim - blue - white - semigloss?

This is my jumping point inspiration it can deviate 100%

This is the room - it's a panorama so slightly distorted width wise.

This is the curtain material - same blue as the ceiling in a blue silk boucle.

As you can see there is still a good 10 hours work left to finish the sanding scraping priming.

Nothing is staying in the room as it is. So ignore anything you see although I am considering repainting the pink chest.

Comments (45)

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

fantastic! you go girl! I love the idea of white every thing, it would have been more common to the time period i think, also have the option of looking into historical colors. but i think white semi gloss exterior keep it light and airy, and then add back in the colors with the curtains and accessories. I love the inspiration pic! estate sales etc would be on my shopping list.

what will the flooring material be. Can you get to the hard wood?

maybe some low book cases or a bench with lift top to put the IDK stuff that will still need a home.

lucidos thanked flair lighting
  • PRO
    Our Town Plans
    8 years ago

I really like the white siding walls with blue ceiling (though it looks like a darker blue than I would choose)! A softer wall color would be nice too and I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the off whites. What is the siding color on the house?

I definitely think you should go with white trim in semigloss for the door and windows.

I probably would have opted for blinds, canvas, or something with more of an 'outdoor' feel for window treatments, but I don't use much boucle so don't take that as criticism ;-) Since your windows are larger than the ones in your inspiration image, think about letting the curtain panels go to the floor.

It looks like it will be a great space and your hard work is really going to pay off!!

lucidos thanked Our Town Plans
  • lucidos
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Flair that image was actually what pushed me to the blue ceiling! I have collected a few things for the room. And a wicker rocker that won't fit through the door. See http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/51063138/thumbs/sleeping-porch I'm so glad you responded what ceiling fixture? A fan a chandy or an old hanging porch light?

• sandradclark
    8 years ago

Make sure any leaks in the roof of this room have been repaired before using it again. What a great space to read a book. Silk will deteriorate in the sun, so be sure to line them for protection. Ideas for furnishing:

Modern · More Info

Uttermost Aurick Swivel Chair, Gray · More Info

Table Lamp, Pb Black Metal Shade W Gold Liner, E27 Cfl 23W · More Info

Haussmann Original Wood Twist Stool 10 X 10 X 18 In High Oak Oil · More Info

Add low bookcases under windows where you can. Make it your own special reading room.

lucidos thanked sandradclark
  • sandradclark
    8 years ago

The chaise above is really costly. Pick one that is less costly. Hang plants in the room to take in the sun. Kudos to you for all the hard work!

• decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

You have your curtain material (be sure to line it well as silk and sunlight don't play well together) so now I'd find the rug. I have no objection to your inspiration room but would consider using a day bed (perhaps with a trundle or storage underneath) at the end so you have a guest room when/if needed.

Young house love- Sunroom · More Info

Victorian with Modern Flair · More Info

Hyde Park Renovation · More Info

lucidos thanked decoenthusiaste
  • lucidos
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Our Town thank you! The blue color looks darker because it's a terrible rainy no good day here :) The exterior of the home is stone. So white white semi gloss on the doors and windows and off white eggshell on the shiplap? I considered blinds but the windows open inwards and I wanted to take advantage of that not to mention have the material blow in the breeze.

• sandradclark
    8 years ago

Shears:

Belgian Sheer Linen, Off-White, 50x84 · More Info

Of course, shorten as you want them.

• lucidos
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Sandra and Deco..I got such a great deal on the blue silk I couldn't pass it up. I will probably leave the curtains flipped open unless I'm in there at night. They will still get full morning sun but I would hate to have to put uv film on those old spun glass windows and want the transparency of the curtian.

I do have an Asian style black wood futon..and a daybed/trundle I could re-purpose to this room. I have 2 guest rooms so this is just a bonus room.

The leaks occurred because the window was left open and the gutter was filled. That issue is addressed. There was some separation in the room from the house but that was fixed before we moved in externally and not cosmetically fixed internally.

Oh the floor is a grey painted wood. I guess they used grey then too. I have a inexpensive foam Berber in there that is not staying. It helped insulate the room below (breakfast room). I may leave it down as padding and toss a rug over it. ...that's the last step.

• leelee
    8 years ago

Consider a hanging bed or at least a large porch swing. Put it at the far end.

lucidos thanked leelee
  • leelee
    8 years ago

Would you consider changing the windows to the style that cranks out instead of in? Really opens up options for curtains/blinds/roman shades and gives you more space in the room.

lucidos thanked leelee
  • lucidos
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I thought about a hanging egg chair.

I still may do that as the rocker will not fit in the room.

As far as the windows I have a weird love affair going on with them right now. My hubby wanted to pull them out and install sliding windows. I can't part with them. The guy that re-glazed them and I spent an hour talking about old wood windows and the spun glass. To me they are part of the history of the home.

• decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

I'm dreaming about a sleeping porch! Do you plans for that?

• ptreckel
    8 years ago
    Sherrington Williams has a lovely blue for porch ceilings: DCR075 (Piazza Blue). It might have too much yellow in it for your draperies, but it would look great with your crisp white walls. What a pretty room!
    lucidos thanked ptreckel
  • ptreckel
    8 years ago
    Sherwin Williams! Sorry!
  • lucidos
    Original Author
    8 years ago

PT I like the name Sherrington from now on I shall refer to the SW paint as that :) The paint was purchased to match the curtain material it also matches the wizard lamp I'm putting in there. . today was all gloomy outside. I'll retake the image on a sunny day and if the consensus is to lighten it I'll be happy to do so. I love the color you suggested

but it's the wrong shade - I need a cool icy blue with a hint of green.

Deco yes! I plan to loll in there on Houzz with the laptop! Hopefully I'll get to do that before winter sets in! -40 Winnipeg winters is no place for an unheated sleeping porch.

• decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

Uh-oh! Why don't you heat it? Any outlets or a quartz infared heater?

• lucidos
    Original Author
    8 years ago

There is currently one old old...did I mention old left over, last hold out of the knob and tube in the ceiling. It's live and we can't figure out how. Hence the electrician. Also there is a live 220v with a blue cloth wrapper coming out of the floor. We're thinking it might have supplied an old freezer but the door is narrow so I don't know how they would have gotten a monster old freezer in there. It may have been some kind of heat source. It's got to go. Double hence the electrician. That leaves nothing to power anything in there so that will need to be set up.

As far as using the room in the colder months. No. We would need to gut the room and insulate and replace the windows to triple pane. My thinking is it's a porch. We don't need the space for anything so this is just a room to go chill (wrong word) to go chillax (still wrong word). To veg in during the warmer months.

I am blind priming BRIGHT WHITE shiplap with an artist brush ... If there is a better way to get in every single nook and cranny of the strips I haven't figured it out yet. And when I think I have it all sealed I find another 1000 places that need the brush. My estimate of 8 more hours of prep is shot. I'm guessing a more like 40. I should have hired painters and I never hire painters.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

get a spray gun.

• lucidos
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Flair..do you have any idea what a mess I would make with one of those? HAHAHAH

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

well the room is empty right,and the floors are white.......could be fun!!! http://littlegreennotebook.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-best-and-easiest-to-use-spray-gun.html

• lucidos
    Original Author
    8 years ago

hmmm. I still have to paint the room..and first finish priming the windows and the 9 gazillion little holes...do some sanding.. 2 more places to caulk. The ceiling is maybe to dark so I'll need to re-do it. And I would like to get in there before the summer is over. Maybe I'll try it.

I wish I could do a stencil floor but alas, I really need a rug on the floor for the room below.

Oh and Flair? Fan, Chandy or Porch lantern or wait till it's together? Electrician is not coming until the 28th so I have time to decide.

• tippie64
    8 years ago
    Fan overhead with sconce on wall for reading. Like a barn light on the wall.
    lucidos thanked tippie64
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

get the electrical sorted. figure out what the room furniture wise is going to be. yes to a fan. in the center and maybe if you can a second ceiling light over the sitting area. you dont really want to dig into the walls to run sconces and there isn't a lot of wall space for sconces anyway. i wonder if he can run conduit with some wall plugs (semi industrial) but could be painted out. then you can do cord and plug sconces or lamps.

• lucidos
    Original Author
    8 years ago

He said he can easily put a plug on the door side. Somewhere to the left of the door in the image above. I have a floor fan I can put in there and if the heat gets tough I can open the door and close the windows. The central air will be happy to leak into the room and out the windows :)

So progress today.. I'm down to priming the door and patching a few more holes then for the real painting!! I called one of our painters and told him I was miserable...he told me to put some distilled water in the primer to thin it down. That made a huge difference. YAY.

I should be done with prep tomorrow.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

no electrical any where else? I need plugs ..........or am I missing something?

• Moxiemom
    8 years ago
    I love the idea leelee posted of the swinging couch. I think I've got that in my idea book. The reason is that no matter what you do, with a porch like that, creepy crawlies get in and it's so much easier to sweep. Can't wait to see the finished product. Gorgeous inspiration room.
    lucidos thanked Moxiemom
  • Maureen
    8 years ago

There are amazing ideas on Google - Sleeping porches. Good luck and enjoy.

lucidos thanked Maureen
  • lucidos
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Flair - The electrician is a friend/co-worker board certified licensed and that's when his day is free. So yes an overhead and so far we only talked about the one wall plug. Code says we have to have one on each wall. He's pretty much "by-the-book" so that's what I guess will happen. As long as I can have light, plug in the lappy and listen to music I'm good though.

Moxie - I'm worried about a swinging couch. Unless I center it in the room my kidlet will attempt to put it through the window with a kamikaze jump. He's "good" that way. Give him something to climb on or in that moves and he turns into an cheeky adrenaline monkey.

Maureen yes I'm kind of smushing a few ideas together. The curtains still have me stumped.

Ok back to trim and painting!! Picture to come soon.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

amen to lights and music .........and wine.

• ptreckel
    8 years ago
    Two outlets are best. Especially when, in the fall and spring, you will want to plug in your electric blanket! ;)
    lucidos thanked ptreckel
  • lucidos
    Original Author
    8 years ago

You mean...don't do this?

• ptreckel
    8 years ago
    Well, the fire that this will cause will keep you nice and toasty!
    lucidos thanked ptreckel
  • lucidos
    Original Author
    8 years ago

YES! If I don't burn the kitchen down first. Or trip over the 220v wires while I'm prettifying the room.

*first coat trim ...fini

• lucidos
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The room is painted...YAY that was labor intensive hours with an art brush and every slat. Now I have to de-paint the hinges, locks and handles and make them all shiny then lacquer them with a clear acrylic (nailpolish) so they don't tarnish. Normally I would remove them to do so but I'm afraid they will not go back in with the brass screws. I need to be extra careful not to muck up the paint.

After that it's the curtains.

• lucidos
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Preview. Not pressed out and 3 more panels to go. I have a steamer I'll use once I get them all up.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

arent those going to be a pain in @zs to deal with when you want to open the window. based on how the windows hinge?

• Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

they swing out on crane rods.

lucidos thanked Judy Mishkin
  • lucidos
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Curtains fini.

This weekend we will be putting a black Asian futon with a burgundy cover in there and removing the white storage cabinet. I'm thinking a gold oriental rug?

I'm also thinking to do the copper in a dark pewter grey.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

The rug you posted looks perfect to me

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

• pdk920
    8 years ago

Good for you for keeping your historic windows. Your
    curtains are beautiful. You might consider lining it with a very sheer white
    material that would give some protection to your blue silk fabric while still
    letting light in.

Or you can make very lightweight “frames” to fit on each individual window to hold vinyl material that conserves heat (use UV-protective film if you like.) Then just pop them out in summer till you need them again. We did this for years at the museum where I worked; easy, cheap and surprisingly effective. They'd be just about invisible behind your curtains.

I’d go with a soft warm white or cream color for the walls
    for that gentle homey look of your inspiration photo. White-white can be so
    stark. I’ve lived in several homes that had gray painted wood floors in porches
    and sunrooms; it must have been very popular. Just be sure you find a gray that
    looks right with your other colors.

Your room will be lovely!

lucidos thanked pdk920
  • lucidos
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well, the rug I posted was over $ 1000.00 a bit pricey for a porch :)

So...pictures coming soon..the futon and a rug that works are in the room. I'm taking a breather before neatening the room, getting it vacuumed and the pillows all poofed and knifed. The futon was in one of the spare rooms so it's dusty :)

The rug I selected is smaller then I would have wanted 6 x 9 hubby and I are talking about taking the under rug out in the warmer months and leaving the painted floor. The grey that it is painted now blends well.

PDK yes...we are also talking about clipping on clear or tinted acrylic panels over the screens for the winter months. Since so many of you have suggested lining the curtains I am giving that serious thought.

Next is painting the makeshift rods in a dark grey and the dresser and the little heart table need to be painted too. Maybe an antique gold?

• lucidos
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Pic ...

phone needs to be charged :)