Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erica_hagen0

hardwood floor decisions

Erica M
8 years ago

We have a carpet covering red oak floor. We have white painted trim and also very dark wood in the house. The first floor is a light wood. The red oak is a kind of medium stain. It has carpet pad stuck to it in places.

I've been told the floor will need refinishing or possibly may be damaged beyond repair in certain places, but we can't know till we close on the house next week. Then, we hoped to move in 5 days after closing, but the contractor is saying he needs 5 business days free to refinish the floor.

Should we just take up the carpet ourselves as planned, clean off the floor and hope for the best, maybe refinishing later on and for now using area rugs -- or schedule the refinishing prior to moving in, in a big rush?

If we do refinish what shade should we use on the wood? Big decisions!

One bedroom second floor.

First Floor.

Comments (8)

• Erica M
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hmm...good to know...I'm not sure! honestly, the parts where we've pulled back the carpet at the edges look good. I'm partly hoping we don't even need to refinish. But alternately I can postpone move-in for about another week. Maybe I will set up the movers on time, then postpone them should we choose to go this route.

Another hitch, the refinishers said if they have to patch anyplace on the floor it's going to look noticeable. They also said, darker stains cost more. Does this all sound correct?

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    8 years ago

Normally a FULL SAND AND REFINISH (not just a buff and coat) includes the application of a stain, sealant and 2 top coats. If you REALLY WANT A WEIRD COLOUR then they MIGHT ask for more. If it is a premixed colour...(grab from the dealer and apply to the floor) there shouldn't be an 'extra' charge for colour. Again, this can differ from region to region.

Red Oak is "odd" to add colour to. The 'red' changes stains in a dramatic way. You "think" you are asking for "brown" and you end up with BLAZING ORANGE... Red oak takes stains evenly but it does not offer a "true" colour.

For this reason, you will take the TIME (ahem...take the time...yes...time) to have your refinisher "stain sample" several different options onto the floor itself (yes...patches of different colour on your freshly sanded floor...don't forget the top coat to show depth of colour and sheen level). You then take the TIME (yah...there's that word again) to DECIDE on the colour. Normally you view the "stain samples" at different TIMES OF THE DAY (morning, mid-day, evening, night). That requires another 24 hours of TIME. You choose the stain you like the best in all 4 lighting situations. You call the refinisher and they BRING the colour the NEXT DAY (more time passes just for this single decision).

To stain properly, you need TIME. Red Oak does weird things to stains...which means you need TIME to assess the colour. If you don't like the first 4 options...you will need more TIME for the refinisher to come up with 4 new stain samples. And repeat (now you've taken 2-3 days to decide on colour and you are no closer to moving in).

The floor will be this colour for 25 years! You want to take the TIME to get it RIGHT. Don't rush colour because of a deadline.

I would say "2 weeks" would be the bare minimum from closing to move in day. Three weeks to 1 month would be far more appropriate.

Erica M thanked Cancork Floor Inc.
  • Erica M
    Original Author
    8 years ago

hmm. perhaps we'll move in, live with the not quite perfect wood floor first. I'm hoping we can get the gunk off it easily which is left from carpet padding. it's not perfect but maybe has some charm...with some throw rugs will look ok...

:)

• PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    8 years ago

As soon as you close have the contractor ready to go. Absolutely refinish the floor, have him repair areas first however. Walnut is a good color, look at samples on the floor. They will do a few test spots for you prior to doing the floor. This is a job to do ASAP, not in six months.

• Erica M
    Original Author
    8 years ago

hmm...any other votes on this one?

• PRO
    ULTIMATE HARDWOOD LTD
    8 years ago
    @ericah if you wait to refinish/repair it will be a major undertaking as EVERYTHING sits on the floors!!! Greys are super popular in my area and whites are coming around again.
    Erica M thanked ULTIMATE HARDWOOD LTD
  • Erica M
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We have decided we'll have a floor guy come out the day we close as we rip out the carpets and look at the whole job. He says he can get the floor done quickly, if not too damaged. Will post pix!

Meanwhile just need to select a color. I'm now realizing, staining isn't required you can just coat it. But I think we will want a stain.