Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
decorrookie

PLEASE help I can't make another bad purchase!

decorrookie
8 years ago
So we are returning the brown sectional. We just painted the walls gray (they do have a slight bluish tint). All the accessories are going so please try to picture the room empty. It's an awful design really, because there are too many access/entry points.
-sliding doors take up one wall
-across from sliding doors is opening to sunken living room
-opposite fireplace is entrance to room and hallway to kitchen
-wet bar cannot be blocked either

So basically we can't block all of these access points! But we need the seating!

Dilemma #1: big extended family and need lots of seating

Dilemma #2: hubby placed the TV above the fireplace and therefore everyone who comes over crowds into this room when the sunken living room adjacent is larger and empty

Dilemma #3: neither of us has any decorating "flair" and we keep making bad purchases (the dark and too big sectional)

What color sofa and love seat do we purchase? And what color rug? Floors are cherry, trim is brown and walls gray.

ANY AND ALL advice is welcomed and greatly appreciated!!

Comments (54)

• User
    8 years ago
    It looks like you have room for two sofas facing each other.
    Then get two chairs to flank the fireplace.
    A sofa and loveseat is not the best choice,in my humble opinion.
    Nobody wants to sit that close to another.
    Two neutral sofas a little more streamlined than what you have now, in a durable commercial grade, light, neutral fabric would look great.
    The accent chairs can be done in a complimenting patterned fabric.
  • PRO
  • PRO
    Sassy Green Interiors LLC
    8 years ago

This room had the same challenges as your space. There is another sofa floating in the middle of the room facing the TV/fireplace that you can't see here. There is a doorway on the right and a doorway on the left .Floating the sofa horizontally gives the room (which is long and narrow) width. We also lowered the mantle on this fireplace, whitewashed the brick and added the wood wainscoting behind the TV to soften the harshness of all the brick.

• decorrookie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @Sassy Green thank you! I was thinking to add two chairs opposite the sofa? Instead of flanking the fireplace? Making the seating area U shaped?
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

If you want to send me dimensions of the room I can do a floor plan, so you can see how the furniture arrangement will look.

• decorrookie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @susan2494 that would be awesome! It's 20x14. Let me know if you need anything else! Thank you!
  • smit2380
    8 years ago

Just throwing this out there . . . Why not have two tvs. That way there are more options when entertaining extended family. We keep our 80 inch in our main family room and then a smaller 73 inch tv in the living room. The living room tv only comes on when guests want to spread out.

• decorrookie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @smit2380 we actually do but we are planning on moving it to the basement. I don't think having tvs right next to each other would work???
  • smit2380
    8 years ago

Sadly, we have a tv in every room in the house (except bathrooms and closets - and that is only because I said no) and in our backyard. If you keep them tuned to the same program during family gatherings, it works out well. Our layout now is open concept, so the living room is not very far from the family room. We generally run all of it through the media server (which I do not know how to operate), so that the television program (or movie) is the same throughout the house (and backyard) during family gatherings. (Theoretically, we could do different shows, but for consistency we generally do not.)

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Here is first plan. I have used 2 sofas 87" and 2 chairs. I put the chairs at end of room for better viewing of TV and I do not like chairs with back to FP or TV. A nice ottoman a 10x12 rug and tables and lamps. There is pathway into room access to all doors and wetbar. Key is keeping furniture to scale to room. I will do another, but this would be maximum seating.

• susan2494
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

This one I took out sofa and moved chairs across from sofa, then added a nice recliner for Pops where he can relax after work. Same size sofa, chairs. You could also bring back in sofa with just recliner. You have several options, again furniture to scale of room.

• decorrookie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @susan2494 love The first one especially! What do you think about a sofa and then love seat in front of the wet bar and two chairs across from the sofa?
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

For each side of FP think about display shelves and art over each.

or cabinets on each side with art

They are similar but different prints.

• susan2494
    8 years ago

The love seat would work, I Would rather see 2 more chairs than a loveseat as people don't like loveseats, but for short periods of time would be ok. I think you should go with whatever you like and fits in the room.

• susan2494
    8 years ago

• PRO
    Design Intervention
    8 years ago

Here is a room with similar multiple entry points that we fully remodeled. Perhaps you can draw some ideas to apply to your own situation.

Beach Bungalow · More Info

Beach Bungalow · More Info

• decorrookie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @susan2494 I really appreciate you doing that for me! Especially since it's so difficult for me to "see" these things. Could you please do that for my adjacent living room? Is truly appreciate it! It's also 20x14 but in the opposite way.
  • decorrookie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Oh and I'm trying to sell those sofas by the way so we could start from scratch.
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

I would skip the brown and do a grey or charcoal sofa and loveseat and get some print chairs or chairs in your accent color.

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Is there a TV in the room and is there a designated wall for connecting and what size?

• decorrookie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @susan2494 there is a 70" TV in there that is not currently hooked up, we are planning on putting it in the basement.
  • decorrookie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Here
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

OK so no TV in this room. Thanks.

• decorrookie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I think it would be weird to have two big tvs in two rooms right next to each other....
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

OK, in LR I have 2 wingbacks by windows, table and lamp and then a main seating area with sofa and 2 chairs. a large rd ottoman with a sofa table behind sofa. End tables and another lamp. The end tables should not match nor the lamps unless you want one by chairs and 1 by sofa.

I did not place rug under chairs, keeps them more separate. Will do another and bring them in.

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Added console table by window and took out end table by sofa.

• User
    8 years ago
    I love the two sofas and two chairs arrangement. I think it would work as long as you keep the sofas and chairs much more streamlined than your current furnishings. Make sure you take your measurements when you order your furniture.
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

I looked at your inspirational photos and a large tufted sofa with accent chairs would be beautiful

• decorrookie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @SandyC what exactly does streamlined mean?
  • decorrookie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @Susan2494 I can't thank you enough God bless you!
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

Streamlined is less pillows and straight lines rather than curves.

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Did the living room plan appeal to you?

• PRO
    Sassy Green Interiors LLC
    8 years ago

@decorrookie U shape might work for optimum seating. I will just caution you about have having 2 sofa's running parrelel to one another length-wise. I have done a number of rooms for clients that are long and narrow and running the sofa's down instead of floating them across is a mistake visually for these rooms. Good luck with your project!

• decorrookie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @susan2494 yes I loved it thank you!
  • decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

Here's a favorite arrangement with a sofa and four swivel chairs.

Kiawah Family Home · More Info

Kiawah Family Home · More Info

• Irene Morresey
    8 years ago
    Some ideas, you can't go wrong with light grey or beige sofa, then add a couple of accent chairs and a couple of ottomans
  • Irene Morresey
    8 years ago
    Some more inspiration
  • decorrookie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @Sassy Green Interiors I'm a little confused, can you please clarify about running them parallel as opposed to floating?
  • Irene Morresey
    8 years ago
    Parallel last pic, floating 2nd to last I'm thinking, hard to watch TV parallel and it's more for formal living
  • Trine Vig
    8 years ago

Remove the shelf on the fireplace and lower the TV. Add a corner sofa or a sectional sofa and some chairs place a big ottoman or two small ottomans in front of fireplace. make the wall with the fireplace symetrical with some mirror, lamps, and small drawer or add shelves from fireplace to the wall. Add a big comfy rug. IKEA.com would be a great place to buy furnitures and art decor from if on a low budget.

• ashtonchic
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi Decorrookie - I think either layout - parallel or floating (an L shape) would work for you. It just depends on how you guys are most comfortable. Does hubby like to stretch out on the couch or sit up or does he want a recliner? I still recommend neutrals for furniture and rug - then add color in drapes, art, pillows and other accessories. Just my preference. It's easy to change out when you want something new! See pics below for examples.

Floating sofas

Sherman Lake Home · More Info

Parallel sofas

Traditional Living Room · More Info

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago
    If you want to
    Make sure your sofas streamlined then look for narrow arms and exposed legs on sofa. Macy 's does nice furniture as does re Willey. Happy hunting!
    Love the four matching chairs room the best!
  • decorrookie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Can't wait to show you all the finished project! My runner for my entry I s coming tomorrow-here's a picture of it. And a picture of the hallway and bench. Can anyone be so kind as to post pictures of what pillows would go with the black bench. I was planning on placing 2 pillows on the bench. Don't know what would go with the runner!
  • User
    8 years ago
    I think this a thread on another post.
  • decorrookie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @SandyC what do you mean by your last comment? I'm confused.
  • User
    8 years ago
    Hi there, thought you had another thread on how to decorate my entry.
    Thought folks would like to see the results!
  • sheilaskb
    8 years ago

Would you consider changing the two sliding doors into two windows so that furniture nearby would not be a problem?

• decorrookie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @sheilaskb I don't think so, they are the only access to the backyard besides the side door in the laundry room at the other end.
  • decorrookie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    We ended up getting 2 sofas and there's enough space behind to access the sliding doors.