Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jkares

How do I "tone down" my earth tone, tumbled brick?

jkares
8 years ago
Love our home but it screams orange in the sun and now it's time for new roof, a shutter facelift (replace? paint?) and full repainting of exterior trim. Current roof has brown tones - always looks very weathered. Brick is tumbled: looks terra cotta orange with red & gray hues to me. Mortar might be slightly pumpkin-ish and throwing me of.

I'd appreciate suggestions of how to brighten/update the exterior of this home. Landscaping hasn't filled in yet and I'm hoping for more texture and green around the home this fall or pots with blooms on porch. New glass/copper lanterns will replace existing at front door. I've heard suggestions to remove upper railing, paint full exterior, or switch to faux slate roof w/ gray tones. Any thoughts from those of you with a fantastic eye for color?

Comments (10)

• Vicki Denson
    8 years ago

Like the idea of gray on the house that should bring out the gray bricks. If you don't need a new roof do that last, but gray slate would be beautiful. I would paint the shutters a dark gray. I like your wrought iron, keep it and consider black lanterns to match. Your trim looks beige in the large picture and gray in the small picture, paint the trim a lighter gray than the shutters.

• decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

Great to see functioning shutters on a home. If you don't have a green thumb or a gardener, I'd ditch the window boxes and planters. I too think the railing above the entry is overkill and out of step with the more rustic shutters. I think it would work if your home was more like this one, but removal of the shutters is required to achieve this look and the railing could stay. I think slate (or architectural roof to look like slate) would work for any direction you take.

No shutters - a more classic look - try this first and see how it looks before attacking the bricks

Classic North Shore Residences · More Info

Stucco the brick, paint trim creamy white, shutters French blue

Front Door · More Info

Whitewash brick, paint shutters powder blue

New Home Exteriors · More Info

• grapefruit1_ar
    8 years ago

You have a gorgeous home! I love the colors!! The only thing that jumps out at me...in a very big way...is the portico! Was that original to the design of the house? Is it stone? Maybe it needs to be a different color? I am anxious to hear what the pros suggest.

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    8 years ago
    I love the new roof, how about painting the Windows and trim to match the roof and give depth
  • PRO
    Finstads Carpet One
    8 years ago
    Gorgeous home. The portico looks like stone. I wouldn't touch it---leave it natural. I love the idea of a dark gray roof. The shutters could also be painted a gray tone OR cream to compliment the portico.
  • PRO
    BEVOLO GAS & ELECTRIC LIGHTS
    8 years ago

Hi! Your home looks lovely. We are the
    oldest copper lighting company in the U.S. and hand make every one
    of our fixtures in New Orleans, LA. We have hundreds of different lighting
    combinations to suit your needs and a complimentary design service. A set of "statement piece" lanterns flanking the door would add some great curb appeal. Simply email us plans or pictures of your space and we will be happy to
    make style and scale recommendations.

• decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

I hate to set you up for more work, but your original dilemma was the brick. Recently on "Fixer Upper" (HGTV) Chip Gaines did what is called a German mortar smear (German Schmear) technique and it would be fabulous on your home. Here's the before and after. Looks like they used light stained cedar shutters on it too. You might lighten your shutters and just retain all the arched ones on garage and first floor. Love the roof. Looks very French! Lightening the brick with this technique and bleaching the shutters could achieve a very French look.

French Normandy Beverly Hills · More Info

• Alexandra
    8 years ago
    I'd stay away from gray. Do a navy colored roof and paint the shutters blue. It will balance out the redness.
  • emmarene9
    8 years ago

Thank you for the progress photograph. I like the new darker roof. I also like the suggestion of shutters matching the stone.