0

Need Pro Advice on Basement Kitchen/Laundry/HVAC

yenlelu
last modified: August 18, 2015

I'm planning to redo my parents' old 1950's or 60's basement kitchen and need some professional advice on my new layout. The existing room serves 3 purposes - everyday cooking with a gas range, a laundry station and furnace/hot water tank room.

My plan is to move the washing machine next to the dryer to create more counter space by the sink. Just wondering if there's any safety hazards I should be concerned about if I place the dryer next to the furnace or should the washer be next to the furnace?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on how to conceal the furnace/hot water tank area so that it's more pleasing to the eye when cooking or doing laundry? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

• apple_pie_order

You need a local pro who is familiar with local building and safety codes. These are important safety issues.

Jorde Mechanical

As an HVAC professional I don't see any safety or building code issues that would be need to be addressed. Looks like you're simply moving the washer, shifting the dryer over and adding a cabinet. I see the cabinet says "removable" so that negates any accessibility argument to the water heater. Other than that I'm sure from a "legalese" standpoint you could somehow come up with some sort of safety issue but in a real world view it looks fine to me :)

• yenlelu
    Thank you very much for taking your time to address my questions. :)

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us at 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun)