Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edithdu

Witch of these 2 Kitchen and bath plans do you prefer and why ?

Edith
8 years ago

We are making major renos in our farmhouse and at this stage, we need input !!!

Plan A

OR Plan B ?

Or a mixt Kitchen A and Bath B...or vice versa ?

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Ancient Art Stone
    8 years ago

Plan A definitely. In the kitchen the stove, sink, and island are in their "working triangle". Everything is close to one another, if you look at plan B the sink is on the complete opposite side as the stove. For the bathroom, I like how plan A's sink gives you lots of counter space and you have extra room between the vanity and the tub so you don't feel squished. The shower looks larger in plan B but the way I see it is if you wanted some relaxation time you can use your soaking tub and stick to the shower for more time pressed "in a hurry" clean up days.

• Edith
    Original Author
    8 years ago

But what if we simply move around the appliances, would Kitchen A be more appealing than B ? Or is it a lost cause ?

• PRO
    Ancient Art Stone
    8 years ago

You could move things around and that would work. I personally think its nice though in plan A that your sink is in front of a window and that your entrance into the kitchen from the sitting area is a straight line whereas in plan B you have to walk around the island every time you walk into the kitchen from the sitting area.

• Edith
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I understand. I'm trying to avoid the more traditional set up and go with the linear of plan A but I keep seeing the points you make. I'm stubborn so I'm trying to adapt plan A to see if I can resolve the issues. At least, I will have tried ;-)

• Edith
    Original Author
    8 years ago

haha, I apologies, I'm the one that got confused but yes, It's B I wished I could have worked out. I will post a revised version. Stay tuned ;-) and tis foryour input

• acm
    8 years ago

The only thing weird to me about A is the corner stove, but I see they do occur in photos on Houzz, so I learned something new. Otherwise, many aspects of B make me think an inexperienced designer made it, from the bad walking paths to the sink sticking out practically into the living room (practically bumping into a column?), to the wasted window view, to the odd arrangement of bathroom fixtures. I think you need to trust your trust your designer a bit more or find one that seems to understand your desires better.

• Edith
    Original Author
    8 years ago

hahaha. the inexperienced designer...is ME. I am not a designer. I'm ze owner of the house ;-). So considering scenario B looks not so bad, I am not doing so bad, I gather ?! Seriously though, I will go see a real designer. Tomorrow. But this helps me prepare myself to understand the pros and cons of what she will come up with. Last time we hired a designer, I had to redo it all so I want to make sure I have a good understanding of the options so I can know if I trust her. You haven't seen the house as it is - we are totally destroying and rebuilding our first floor. So...I felt I had the responsibility of educating myself first. You helped ;-)

• decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

I'm afraid my bladder wouldn't like either one, since you have to walk across the entire floor plan to go to the bathroom at night. Prefer kitchen "A" for the work triangle (not as many steps between appliances) and "B" for the bathroom layout, but I'd move the toilet to the back and add a door to the water closet for privacy. Located there, the sounds and smells of personal "chores" wouldn't be so likely to emerge into the living room. Best scenario would be to make the music room the bedroom and bath. The bedroom and wasted floor space where you have the piano could become the media/music "room."

• Edith
    Original Author
    8 years ago

decoenthusiaste, I hear you. We have challenges. The toilet needs to be in that corner for reasons to long to explain here. Regarding the distance with the bedroom - it's not ideal but 1) the Music room is literally like a SunRoom and this is the best view and access to the backyard. Also, this part of the house was and addition and bringing water there is close to impossible anyways. If that helps, we have a second floor where our bedroom and we do have another bathroom there (the one on the first floor is a guest room not often used. If I didn't have those constraints, I would have done all that you mentioned ;-).