Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hultypie

To re-Tile or not-to-re-Tile?

alli G
8 years ago
Hi, I just moved into this beautiful home. Love close to everything about it...
Before I buy furniture & window treatments etc, I have to decide whether or not to replace the dated, BUT happy tile that runs throughout our home.

If I were to re-tile, what would look good?? I will post the kitchen which must work with the tile....

I am stumped.

Please help!!

Comments (16)

• nimrod25
    8 years ago

delete 2 of your identical posts plz

• Hedy Bee
    8 years ago
    definitely refile, something in a nice warm neutral is best. the lighter the color the brighter everything looks. Try some of the long rectangular style, rather than square ones, they are more updated and are completely flat under foot.
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

how sold on this project are you? It is not a horrible flooring by any means, I realize it may not be you. but you can put large rugs in spots where you feel it clashes with your furnishings. If i lived in the keys or by the beach, i could easily see this being a great solution. Do you know why they did it? Does the area tend to be dusty or have a very wet season? My vote is always live with it a while, it may grow on you. Or maybe you will find that for the kitchen and or bath it is ok. you can probably float floors over the living room, should be good for putting underfloor heating on? If you give it time, not only may you find that some of it is not so bad thereby saving money, but you will have researched deeply into the best options for other spots, rather than the costly tear it all out right now option. whenever it is a huge undertaking I vote think on it at least a year, deal with other immediate needs. this floor, you will have to turn around and move back out, if you tear it all out. i like to enjoy my new home a little bit, no?

• Darzy
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I think the tile adds character and I'd work with it. I'm liking it! Unless you have a big pocketbook, I'd get beautiful furnishings, area rugs and window treatments instead of spending big bucks replacing the tile. Especially if you need to keep the kitchen tile, I'd prefer to keep the main level the same flooring throughout. Okay...if you hate it, replace, but it is "happy" and adds character.

• stewy2you
    8 years ago
    Replace
  • alli G
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you for everyone's tips and advice.

We are in south Florida, not terribly far from the beach. Also, there is a pool in the back which is probably one of 2- 3 reasons for the tile.

I like the light tile idea, but I have 2 black lab rescues. One of the sheds really badly.

"Not going with furnishings" is not really a problem, as we have close to nothing in that department. Lost everything in Sandy (in NY); have moved 5 times since evacuating and never really bought anything. We have been nomads and we are incredibly grateful to finally have a home!!!

Anyway, that is the other issue - what style furniture? We were thinking Tommy Bahama style would work here, but haven't seen anything that has knocked my socks off.

Also, the walls have Knockdown texture. Not really sure what to do with this, too.

Thanks for your input and for reading!
  • Darzy
    8 years ago

Can you show a photo of the living space (and outdoor) for furniture ideas and placement?

• havingfun
    8 years ago

Not sure what you mean by knockdown texture.

Do understand perfectly the floors. With 2 labs and a swimming pool, near the beach s. fl, well i would stay with what you have. The floors are going to keep the puppies and you much cooler. I am tampa, born and raised so i understand that.

i actually vote, indoor/outdoor rugs, for simplicity in cleaning. it depends on your lifestyle, but if you have a pool and you and or those labs will be swimming daily, you are going to want at least part of it to be no fuss, no muss. Oh, and some of the money you save on the flooring can go to a roomba vaccuum or its opponent. Find the Houzz survey, apparently the majority like it for dog hair, but depends on your living style. But, you know with tile you just sweep it away. use a swiffer wet sweeper weekly and it is all good. you also have some great thrift stores down there. Check some of the furnishings out there. But you really must learn how you live in s. FL, because, like those big comfie sofas? not so much.

if you do not know how to shop thrift, I will give you a brief lesson. just come back and say so.

• alli G
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I didn't know what It was called. Just found out this evening!

Re: thrift - yes, please share your wisdom. :)
  • alli G
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    We figure if we are going to do it, we should do it now before we buy furniture, paint etc.

My other half is not so fond of the tile. He is more passionate about asking the change.

;)
  • Darzy
    8 years ago

Your tile reminds me a bit like Saltillo tile which is timeless. When you add your rugs and furnishings it will look very nice. What do YOU think of the tile alli?

• marbourget
    8 years ago

We bought a condo in Florida on the beach, we kept the similar tiles and repainted the knockdown walls in teals and bm metropolis...All plantation shutters in white....Kept the tiles and the result is stunning..

• Frank Gozukizil
    8 years ago

Can we see a picture Marbourget? Like Allison said we don't want to buy anything until we find out what we are doing with the flooring. The flooring will determine everything. As she said we don't have any furniture we want to keep right now so we will have to buy everything new. Before doing that we would like to figure out the floor situation.

• marbourget
    8 years ago

I have a few very poor pics on my phone....as I mentioned, this is our place in Florida, and we are not there at this time. Will check on my computer.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

Sorry, Alli, I don't know why i did not get notified of this til today. Thrift store shopping is really easy. Never go to ones for profit, unless you get told about them specifically. We had a nice one in Tampa, but it was still pricey, I would scope it out, then wait for sales. Hate waiting for sales at thrift stores, seems to defeat the purpose. Always go to ones that have a distinct purpose. I will give some examples of my favorites, because i don't know what ones exactly are in Miami, though I could search. Up here, the hospital thrift is wonderful. Another town has the hospice shop. In Tampa, there was the one that was sponsored by the Women's Centre, prices were kept low because abused women coming out of the shelter were give vouchers to buy necessary items. kidney foundation was better than salvation Army, but not as great as the more societal ones. Every year get up early go to Jr. League sale, They actually have to give 5 new items. Great for art jewelry, originally $100 at the art show, now $2. Paintings from other parts of the country. We had one other big sale every year, the local museum that had been a railroad barons hotel. Like a giant estate sale. Estate sales are another big one down there. you can often find wonderful things at Goodwill and Salvation Army, though they have really started going up in prices. There is an important note on these big ones. they have a main sorting house that divvies the goods up. So one will be great for metals, another for furnishings, etc. Having said all this, I recently bought 6 teak and rod iron chairs at a local Salvation Army for $5 a piece. each is wearing an expensive beautiful water/bug proof fabric. Hope you find something like that. I am still deciding whether or not to put a couple in my home, or just leave them all on the porch.

on to other things, now that I see your walls, it makes far more sense. We called them stucco. Your home probably is spanish in architecture. Yeah, Darzy those are definitely Saltillo tile or a big nod to them. if you look around these walls are normally painted white, cream or sort of melon gold color. Both outside and inside. you may not like the walls Mr. Alli, but they are generally thick, hold up well, easy to care for. They keep your home cool and reduce noise pollution significantly. My hopes are that you will live there for a few years before coming to any radical decisions. Just rejoice in your new home it sounds wonderful, have fun and bring back many pics, don't forget the pups!

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets