Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrealoren

trying to decide on color of nightstand white or black HELP!

Andrealoren13
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi There! At first i was gravitating towards white nightstands, but then i started liking how dark or black nightstands stand behind a dark gray wall. I am enclosing a picture of my headboard. FYI... the nightstands that i have in the picture are not the ones i am keeping. I will try to add two contenders that i have my eye one. The lamps will be made out of crystal glass. Planning on adding a balance on each side of the bed (drapes hanging from each window from where the bed is located). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. See the below two links i added to my design dilemma.

thank a bunch!

1 nightstand black

2 nightstand black

Comments (131)

• Connie K
    8 years ago
    Get the stands first. It is easier to use drapes and textiles to coordinate with furniture than the other way around.
    Andrealoren13 thanked Connie K
  • Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi @Cahoosier! I couldn't agree with you more regarding the drapes! :) I definitely buying the dresser first BRFORE I invest time and money to drapes. :) thank you for your input. :)
  • dmsquare
    8 years ago
    My bedside tables are by a company called Hooker Furniture.
    Andrealoren13 thanked dmsquare
  • dmsquare
    8 years ago
    Dimensions of chest are: 42" wide, 18" deep, 36.25" tall.
  • dmsquare
    8 years ago
    Another picture of bedside chest.
    Andrealoren13 thanked dmsquare
  • capeanner
    8 years ago

Just checked out some Hooker pieces. This looks like something that might appeal to you, though the price is steep.http://www.hayneedle.com/product/hooker-furniture-sanctuary-fretwork-chest.cfm Noticed a lot of geometrics in your ideabooks and this has a pearl finish.

Or this one http://www.hayneedle.com/product/hooker-furniture-nailhead-chest.cfm It says green leather, but it must be subtle coloration.

Andrealoren13 thanked capeanner
  • capeanner
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'm back! This is half the price.http://www.hayneedle.com/product/steinworldcosmopolitanchampagnethreedrawerchest.cfm Intriguing finish.

Have also found some very reasonable and unique lamps. http://www.deqor.com/category/table-lamps?filter=Brands:Stein%20World

• Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    8 years ago

HI @capeanner, The first link you shared with me on the hooker sanctuary fretwork-chest. The small nightstands have a similar design to them. I want something more with straight-lines. I did click on the other link you shared with me that one is very unique and beautiful. The only thing that comes to mind is. How dark would it look if put it against the feature wall in the master suite. It's lovely. I love the pulls on dresser. :)

• Lisa Trouth
    8 years ago

I just blew past all of the replies . . .

;-)

so I would feel original even if someone already posted and said,

No to black nor the white nightstands. Instead, go wide and go with fabric! Switch out table skirt fabrics when it's time for a refresh.

Photo from carlaaston.com

• capeanner
    8 years ago

andrea, it looked metallic to me so I assumed it would have a sheen and therefore not too dark. As they are calling it champagne figured it must have some bling. Seems to have enough gray and beige to pull the headboard and wall color together. Difficult to know without actually seeing these pieces. You should check that site. It has many interesting chests.

• Belle La Vue
    8 years ago

White.

• Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi @capeanner, yes you are absolutely right. it does seem to have a sheen on the dresser. I might buy it to see if it will work. I hope i can purchase through them. Have you purchased through that company before Capeanner?

• capeanner
    8 years ago

no, andrea, I just stumbled upon them after looking at the Hooker site. To gauge size you may want to "create" a cardboard box to see if the size is appropriate rather than find out it's wrong after ordering it. Did you check the lamps? Seem very reasonable and possibly your taste.

• Paula B
    8 years ago
    I'm sending you a couple pics of my mirrored nightstands - I love them and they clean up easily with a microfiber cloth.

Sorry, the pictures can't show the full room view.

Purchased at Kirkland's.
    Andrealoren13 thanked Paula B
  • Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi @capeanner, i understand now. i did check the lamps there were a few that i liked. The price seem pretty sensible. :) i will need to look at it again.

• karen3000
    8 years ago

You seem to have more room on one side of the bed than the other. Have you considered a nightstand on one side and a vanity or small desk on the other to balance things out? I like dark night stands for your space. Light night stands will blend into your plantation shutters. Also, your headboard and color choices are transitional. Light furniture is usually not contemporary.

Andrealoren13 thanked karen3000
  • lesley306
    8 years ago

Paint them white!!!!

• Natalie
    8 years ago

Hi Andrealoren

Are you adding drapery panels to your windows?

Andrealoren13 thanked Natalie
  • Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    8 years ago

HI @Natilie, yes i am adding a valance and panels on each side of the bed.

• Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@lesley306, no. i am not interested on white. I rather have a mirrored nightstand or a light wood nightstand. Thanks for your suggestion.

• Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    8 years ago

i am meeting with a designer today and hopefully we can find a piece for both ends. I think i can go a little larger on the left side of the bed (bout 42" wide and right side 32"wide). lets see what i find.

• Natalie
    8 years ago

Thanks for answering. I assume the drapery panels will be lighter in color than the walls; therefore, bedside tables in a wood tone, ebony, or mirrored finish might be more favorable than white or off-white. Let us know what your designer suggests for you. Have fun... :))

• Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hello Everyone! @Natalie, yesterday was a very interesting and fun meeting with the interior designer. She had her ideas on how to decorate it and i had mine. But at the end. it was a win-win. Since yesterday was our very first time meeting face-to-face. We ruled out the dark wood color (brown,black). White we didn't even talk about it since i wasn't even thinking about it nor was she. :) I went with two pieces from Hooker sanctuary line. I am in complete aww since yesterday and today.. Luckily she was able to show me one of the pieces in person. Wow!! In person it looks alot different than in the catalog. I will post the picture once i receive both of my pieces and locate them in the master suite. Once i get them in then i will work on a bench. :) Stay tuned for the picture.

• Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    8 years ago

oops.. @Natalie, yes the panels will be a lighter color so it can compliment to bedroom look. :) Once i get NS settled in. Then i will brainstorm what type of fabric i want to use. I feel like a kid waiting for the candy store to be open at the moment. :)

• m k
    8 years ago

Following :)

• Natalie
    8 years ago

That's fabulous news...

Looking forward to seeing the transformation. Enjoy the process! :))

• Bridget Sexton
    8 years ago

Go for a pop of colour to offset the walls. purple-gray, maroon, red, yellow

Andrealoren13 thanked Bridget Sexton
  • pam
    8 years ago

Find a peaceful/colorful print/painting you love for over your bed.....simple wood top side tables and iron bases - (Room & Board) and clear glass lamps. Add solid toss pillows to bring out colors in picture...only a few...keep it simple to show off your nice headboard!

• Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Good morning @Pamewig,thank you for sharing your thoughts. :)
  • granky
    8 years ago

This would look amazing with that gorgeous grey wall, linen headboard and bedding you have... IMHO, of course ;-) From: http://www.hayneedle.com/product/steinworld12538rombauer3drawercabinet.cfm

• granky
    8 years ago

Oops... I just read you got what you wanted with your designer meeting ;-). Yay!!

Andrealoren13 thanked granky
  • ybxhctq
    8 years ago

Just adding myself to the thread so that I can see the results. So excited for you andrealoren!!

Andrealoren13 thanked ybxhctq
  • PRO
    Andrealoren13 thanked Timothy Rivers Interiors
  • Julie Rosenheim
    8 years ago

I also think your night stands must be large. Bright and big. Make a statement!

• Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you @Timothy Rivers Interiors!! That was a very informative blog post you have there. I will keep your pointers in mind. :)

• Romy Godwin
    8 years ago

I agree ... either a 'pop' of color (remember ... its just paint and can be changed quite easily over time!) ... OR ... Metallic paint is timeless!

• Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My nightstands should arrive by the end of the month. I didn't forget. Stay tuned. Currently playing with duvet and textures. I am returning that one that i currently have. It's really blah and i spent a fortune on it.

• sheilaskb
    8 years ago

If you are keeping the white bedspread, I would opt for white night stands. The black stands blend in too much with the dark grey walls.

• capeanner
    8 years ago

andrea, good move returning the duvet, Blah is a good description.

• PRO
    Vicki Simon Interior Design
    8 years ago
    I recommend you look for two different nightstands in the 30-36" widths you mention with the one that takes up the entire wall space leftover on the right being whichever of those two widths fills that space. And I recommend you go with a medium toned wood. Neither the black, white, nor dark brown direction complements the scheme you have set up as tans (headboard and carpet). Rather a medium tone wood such as the color prominent in Restoration Hardware's line, weathered oak, would give the room an old world charm. You mention brass nailheads on the headboard. This also dictates a softer direction than a solid black or brown. It is classic to mix brass with medium or dark toned wood finishes.

Another reason I suggest wood is that there doesn't need to be a "tie in" to the gray wall. That color is an elegant stand out on its own. For examples of using neutrals as your color palette, see my Pinterest board on the subject--www.pinterest.com/vickisimon/neutrals.

I would look for a clear glass lamp base that had brass details on it (base, trim) and was tall enough to have the entire shade above the sill line.
    Andrealoren13 thanked Vicki Simon Interior Design
  • Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hello @Vicki Simon Interior Design, thanks for your info. I already placed an order for our nightstands. they are neither black or white. Difinitely different and it will compliment the room. :) I have my eye a couple lamp bases from " Global Views" but i need to find a retailer that carry their line. :( The lamps are clear base with some brass tone to them. Looking for a lamp around 30"in tall.

• Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi There!! Here is the latest and greatest on our new bed chest and side table. I went ahead and created a new dilemma discussion today. You will see the before and after picture right next to one another. The picture below is the new look. Still in progress and working on other accessories for our master suite. Lamps and Bed bench. I am totally loving the process. Patience is a virtue. :) Hope all of you enjoy the picture. Hugs, Andrea

• tlopez1214
    7 years ago

I LOVE that bed spread! Where did you get it?

Andrealoren13 thanked tlopez1214
  • Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    @tlopez,I purchased at west elm. :) hope this helps. I am not sure which one you were complementing on.
  • tlopez1214
    7 years ago

The most recent photograph. It's beautiful.

Andrealoren13 thanked tlopez1214
  • Danielle Black
    7 years ago
    Here's a few ideas. I don't like black
    Andrealoren13 thanked Danielle Black
  • Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you @Danielle Black! Out of all the images you sent to me. I only liked the Cane Bedside table. I can probably use that i my living room. :) I already purchased my side tables for my MB. :) I am very happy with it. Now i just need to find some art to place on one of my walls. I am looking for something big like 3'x 5'. I added a green plant to our MS. I love the way how green looks in our room. Interested in something modern or landscape. :)

• Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@ tlopez1214, Ok. I purchased that one at West elm. I believe i purchased it last year. I love their bedding. That one in particular you are inquiring i ended up returning it since i noticed it was snagging very easily. Check out West Elm web site. I love their items. :)

• Danielle Black
    7 years ago
    Sorry I should start reading all the posts before posting. I like that dresser to the left !
  • Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@Danielle Black. Thank you. That's the one i ended up with. :)