Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20151742

Top load washing machine help

User
8 years ago

I need to replace my 27 year old Maytag washing machine. I'm looking for feedback for replacement top load with at least 5 cubic feet capacity. I do not require a lot of washing options as I tend to just use regular and delicate wash cycles only.

Comments (51)

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, I'm looking at that but have always found "real life" feedback much more helpful.

• papillon2
    8 years ago

Pick a brand that you might be interested in and google reviews for it individually.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, yes doing that some of the models I'm looking at currently have no reviews posted yet. Will keep searching.

• printesa
    8 years ago
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for letting me know!

• chloebud
    8 years ago

Corum, I can tell you we bought Whirlpool Cabrio washer/dryer. The washer lasted exactly 4 1/2 years. Repair costs would be close to the cost of a new one. I don't feel confident with another Whirlpool...or even Maytag which, as you may know, is now owned by Whirlpool.

I'm not sure about this, but the repair technician told me to stay away from Samsung and LG. He said the parts are made out of the country (South Korea) and are expensive.

Looking at reviews is confusing since you see bad reviews about everything. Would be interested in what you decide...I'm still looking!

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you for the feedback. I've had my Maytags for 27+ years and have done well with them with only a few minor issues which I think is pretty good considering I moved them 3 times. I know they don't make appliances like they used to or at least that is what I'm hearing. Because of the success I've had with my Maytags I'm bias to that "label" having said that and as you mentioned they are now owned by Whirlpool hence my query for feedback. In reading the various reviews on some of the models I short listed from looking at Consumer Reports makes me want to wash my clothes down by the creek and avoid all the headaches. I would like to purchase something that does not have a lot of bells and whistles as that just adds in my opinion to the list of potential things to go wrong and from what I'm hearing is not value added.

• chloebud
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

LOL...down by the creek is right! You're right about Maytag once being very good quality. Both my siblings have Maytags over 35 yrs. old and going strong. That simply won't happen these days with the new ones. A Lowe's employee told me to expect a maximum lifespan of 5-10 years with the brands of washers they sell...pretty much Samsung, LG, Whirlpool, Maytag, and GE. Three retailers have told me the GE's are lowest in sales. Those same three said Samsung and LG are at the top. However, the reviews I've seen online make me wonder. Honestly, I think it's a gamble no matter what.

Like you, I definitely want a top loader. You're right...less bells/whistles will help!

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Update - I purchased a Maytag Bravos XL - 755DW washing machine a little over a month ago and so far so good. It was not the Maytag model I had intended on purchasing but in speaking with the salesman (who had formally repaired appliances) as well as doing my own research. I confirmed that it is best to go with a model that has a direct drive motor. It has been a bit of a learning curve for me with the "new" style of HE washing from my previous washing machine and I have learned that I need to take a bit more time on loading items for washing. A feature I like on the washing machine is the time indicator that counts down the total washing time.

• chloebud
    8 years ago

Corum, thanks for the update. I have a couple Maytag models on a list to check out, and yours is one of them.

• raineycarole
    8 years ago
    I like my Speed Queen.
  • chloebud
    8 years ago

Corum, I know this is an older thread but was wondering how the Maytag you bought is doing.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm still happy with my Maytag washing machine and it continues to do a great job washing. It was / is still a bit of a learning curve learning which wash option is best for the load I'm doing but I'm slowly learning.

• chloebud
    8 years ago

Thanks for replying! Believe it or not, I'm STILL looking for something that won't die on me in less than 5 years.

• tammra2
    8 years ago

We have 3 speed queen washers. Absolutely no regrets !

• gustaviatex
    8 years ago

I bought my Speed Queen set Dec 2010. No problems or repairs. I have the simple turn dials, no electronics. Couldn't be happier.

• chloebud
    8 years ago

Where did you purchase Speed Queens? I've not seen it anywhere I've looked.

• swrite
    8 years ago
    We bought ours at a local place. You're not going to find them at any of the big box stores, it'll be at local appliance stores or sometimes places that carry higher-end brands. On their site there's a Where to Buy link at the bottom of the page; maybe you can find a dealer in your area: http://www.speedqueen.com
  • chloebud
    8 years ago

swrite, thanks for the link. I found some dealers in our area, but nothing with a Speed Queen washer larger than 3.3 cubic feet. That sounds pretty small...I'm used to something closer to 5 cubic feet. Is SQ's 3.3 equivalent to more when comparing to other brands?

• tammra2
    8 years ago

Trust me it sounds small but remember these are commercial washers you. Can get a lot in them. I wish I could convince you into buying a Speed queen. If I could tell you everything I went thru in the past 3 years with skin issues from HE machines you would not even hesitate into buying a speed queen. I wish I had known now back then or feedback like you are doing now and my health would of been so much better. There are not a lot of bells and whistles nothing fancy. My plain white speed queen is sitting next to a fancy whirlpool dryerin a custom silver color , and you know what ? I really could care less. This speed queen could be olive green. This is the absolute best washer . They also make a front loader but it is digital The government is lowering the water level all the time , I would buy soon They have to comply with the government and it is already happening. If you can buy a 2014 , of course new ( they may still have some ) they give a lot more water. Even 2015 .I'm not sure what else to say : if you purchase something else HE pretty much good luck ,read the reviews and then read speed queen Lets us know what you purchased. Good luck ! Hope this helps you out !

• swrite
    8 years ago
    It does sound small, but I can get my queen sized comforter in there no problem. I'm not sure how it compares to other brands as I replaced an old commercial-capacity Maytag that finally wore out. Capacity seems equivalent to that. Some of the new HE machines seemed really deep inside, so they could possibly be larger, but they don't use enough water and I wasn't interested in having to wash everything twice (as many reviews noted). None of the problems were worth the hassle for me. And Tammra is absolutely right about the water levels and buying soon if you can, so in some ways the load measurement doesn't matter as the water levels won't match and don't really accommodate large loads anyway.
  • chloebud
    8 years ago

tammra and swrite, very helpful info...thank you! I wonder if more people would own SQ if they were easier to find...?

• tammra2
    8 years ago

I have dealt with over 6 washers in 3 years. I was so fed up with the HE I donated a brand new 5.0. Big .but no water hardly and the model I had. Gave more water than any of them . I did so much research on HE machines and thought I had the perfect washer. Even if it is bigger still not any higher water level. Don't add water because they go off balance They are program to a certain level I tried that also. So I did more research and I got smart and purchased the Speed queen. This may sound crazy , I should sell washers I know more about them than you could possibly imagine ,seriously , even on soap , Amt to use , I have been thru it all since the He caused me so many skin health issues I really hope this information helps people. I would never take this much time if I truly did not want to help someone , and save them from all the aggravation I went thru

• tammra2
    8 years ago

Call speed queen and they can help you find the nearest location that will have their product . There are videos on line to see how the washers wash clothes .Box stores as mentioned will not have them. Speed queen cannot keep up the demand on big box stores. They are not this Hugh factory and they are pretty basic on the products. The problem is , people want all the bells and whistles and really fancy state of the art machines for their new homes. I was one of them when we built a new home and my washer was 15 yrs old so I left it with the buyers. Big mistake. I would of spent any amt of money to keep it working knowing what I do now . I only thought speed queen was sold commercial only and they are what you see in the Laundry mat. To the home owner it is different then the laundromat, still a commercial grade washer and washes better in my opinion . The top loader is bigger than in the laundromat and the panel to use is different and better. There is basically 2 options on the top loader one with a few more options on it . I went for that one. I do use it sometimes . The front loader what I have been told is electronic panel not manual like the top loader. I bought the top. L because I like to stop or add things to the wash. And front L you cannot The adjitator is narrower inside so clothes never get tangled It can happen of course but very very rare. Some people say it is loud but it is a washer , sounds the same as my HE I had to me . I hope this helps on the info I have given. You can use HE soap of Regular - non HE laundry soap in the speed queen . If you use HE soap in the speed queen you won't need much. Remember HE soap is not suppose to suds. Very little suds " Just never ever use a - NON. HE soap in a HE Machine ever .HE soap is not suppose to suds if it does your using to much. They formulate HE soap for HE machines because of the lack of water that a HE Machine gives. A lot of people do not know that , need to use 1/2 of what the bottle says for measuring the soap . I learned all of this by mistakes and research because of the skin irritation I had developed after I had purchased the HE machines. Good luck on what ever your purchase is. Houzz is a great thing. I wish I knew about it a long time ago. everyone has been so helpful and nice

• chloebud
    8 years ago

Thanks, tammra...again, very helpful. I guess I've always considered SQ just for laundromats. The laundromat I've been using during this time without a washing machine only has Whirlpool and GE machines. I did know you can use HE detergent in non-HE machines. One thing's for sure...I don't want a front-loading machine!

Yes...Houzz is great!

• Jody
    8 years ago
    Another vote for Speed Queen!
  • tammra2
    8 years ago

Most importantly I forgot to mention the speed queen washes clothes in 1/2 the time of an HE Even with a second riense. The machine is also belt driven . Not a lot of mechanical things to fix on it Read the instruction book , no one hardly ever does and it should last 20 years.

• Cindi
    8 years ago
    I also love my new Speed Queen washer. I have the new model that does have the electronic control which helps keep it clean. The controls are the same as the ones in commercial machines with a good warranty. It fills completely with water at various load levels which gets the clothes so clean. The cycle is about a half hour but you can add a pre wash or extra rinse. There is an eco rinse if you would like to save water on the rinse. ( I like to use the regular rinse. I can't tell you how much I like it. My towels were getting gray and hard with the old he washer. It isn't a quiet however.
  • tammra2
    8 years ago

i did not know they have already started with the electronic panels on the top loader. I know that someone with the manufacturer said the government is also regulating that all the machines will be electronic , so that thecustomer cannot adjust anything on the machine .it is programed to comply with the government . speed queen is not happy because they have been doing the washers the same way for years is what I have been told. I really learned a lot from the speed queen people and researching on the Internet feedback . I'm so glad mmbmom2 that your electronic washer gives pretty full water also I'm curious on your machine . Are you able to stop your washer and add clothes in your washer without messing up a the cycle ? I'm so glad you love speed queen also ! I'm so glad you posted photos . Thank you for that. I haven't figured it out yet how to post a photo I'm still very new to Houzz. I have a lot to read up on yet . The washer looks nice with the panel.

• tooky58
    8 years ago

My proper is 17, I've never had a problem, can wash a queen size quilt or six large heavy towels in it. I love it.

• D J
    8 years ago
    We bought a Cabrio top load set 10 years ago. And I love them so much. The washer gave up on us 2 times. The first time was at "5years old" it wasn't draining the water anymore. The second time it was the machine board (at about 8). But thanks to a lot of research and you tube I was able to repair it myself. I bought the parts online. I fear the day when it will die for real. But thanks to your advice I will definitely check that mysterious brand of washer i had never heard of before.
  • Architectural Notice
    8 years ago

I have always had top loading Kenmore washers and they have always lasted at least 10 years with with few to no problems.

• tammra2
    8 years ago

Please know that all the machines we use to have that we all once loved , they are not the same anymore Exp: if you bought a maytag yrs ago and it was the best washer ever - completely different now .All brands . Even the HE from 3 or more years ago , now you get almost 1/2 the water in the new ones .. That is why it is so unbelievable that with speed queen you still get almost a full tub of water for now anyway . You have no idea what that meant for me or anyone that has any type of sensitivity to soaps or skin irritation - Excema etc the clothes need to be completely riensed out . Think of all the babies that the parents don't realize it is residue that is left on the clothes and all the drs they are going to , to figure out what the problem is. For 3 years i went to a dermatologist till I bought this washer . Also PET OWNERS : even the bedding , towels you wash and use them for your pets Can cause itching , irritated paws ,( use fragrance free soap and no fabric softner or sheets ) irritates them also ). That happened also when I had an HE ,now my pets have no problems either . After having them on medication thinking it was allergies all a long it was the HE washer . I know this is a lot of information , but I sure hope it helps somebody even if it was 1 person . This thread on washers hopefully is just valuable information. Good luck everyone - I better get started on my wash ! It is starting to pile up . Next subject , will be dryers. I'm going to need one soon . I don't know to much about the speed queen dryer other than it takes longer to dry things - yes the government got a hold of that also ( the heating element ) energy saver ! For real . Take care everyone And HAPPY VALENTINES DAY

• drbarb03
    8 years ago
    I would bet money not a single person writing and passing this legislation is actually doing their own laundry. You should have to spend time "in the trenches" before being allowed to vote on these sorts of regulations! Yet one more instance where any "efficiency" is negated if people have to wash things 2-3 times. That said, my parents have a Kenmore HE set (dad, appliance repairman, could no longer fix the 40+ year old washer - mom was crushed - not!). Mom is really happy with it and says the clothes come out better than with the old machine.
  • chloebud
    8 years ago

bere, you're lucky...our Whirlpool Cabrio washer died at 4 1/2 yrs. Cost of repairs was about $600, and the technician said the machine would continue to give us trouble. The matching dryer continues to be fine.

• Cindi
    8 years ago
    tammra2
    Yes the washing machine can be opened and stopped at ant time during the cycles. :-)
  • handmethathammer
    8 years ago

I just want to chime in that Maytag is not what they used to be. I bought a Maytag top loader HE washing machine about four years ago. I could not wait to get rid of that machine! It did not clean the clothes, and not having an agitator in the middle meant I had to touch the dirty clothes a lot to keep them clear of the middle thing. It was a lot of work for a machine that didn't get our clothes clean. I threw out a lot of our shirts for stains that didn't come out in the wash.

If on the market now, I would buy a Speed Queen. I got to look at a front loader model during Parade of Homes, and it looked pretty solid, lots of metal in there and few plastic parts.

That said, I have a front loader LG washer now. I have had it for almost two years and I like it ok. It can take my queen sized down comforter, and things are pretty dry when they come out, making the dryer work less

• tammra2
    8 years ago

Anyone with a front loader please make sure you wipe the rubber on the door good after the wash and crack it open. This will keep from mildew . Hugh problem on the front loader This will help keep your clothes from smelling Reading up on the Internet , there are so many complaints on HE all of them . I do Beleive also that the government that voted on less water also , are mostly men and never do the wash as darbar03 said ! Just like toliets the water level and you have to flush several times - that is all government regulation also What is next that they won't control ! All refrigerators will Have locks on them , so you can only get into them 3 times a day to save energy and no ice makers etc.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm still happy with my Maytag HE top load washing machine that I purchased a number of months ago. It does a great job cleaning and I have put some heavily soiled items in it and have been very pleased wit the results. There was a was a bit of a learning curve for me in the loading of the machine and knowing what cycle was the one to select which meant referencing the manual which I hardly need to do now.

• papillon2
    8 years ago

Tammra2, where did you get the information about the locks on refrigerator doors? Do you have a source?

• chloebud
    8 years ago

Corum, I've been comparing the Maytag like yours (755DW) to their 655DW which is a bit smaller (4.3 cubic feet). I noticed neither one of them has a "pre-wash" or "quick wash" cycle which I'd kind of like. Does that work okay for you? Also, the 755DW has a "delicates" cycle, and the 655DW has a "handwash." I thought they were the same until I checked online. Sounds like "delicates" agitates slowly through the entire wash, and I think "hand wash" agitation is intermittent. I wonder if that makes much difference...? My Whirlpool Cabrio that died had a "handwash/delicates" cycle.

• drbarb03
    8 years ago
    Papillon2, tammara didn't say they have locks on them now (at least, that's not how I read her sentence). It was a "what will they do next, put locks on our refrigerators?" comment.
  • papillon2
    8 years ago

Hopefully, your interpretation of Tammara's statement is true, rather than mine!

• tammra2
    8 years ago

Yes , to darbarb03 understanding of what i meant . I was just making a sarcastic stmt. as in : the government is trying to control everything , example : what next ? locks on the refridgerators, so you can only get into them 3 times a day ? To save energy and money ! I hope I clarified what i was trying to get across . Seems silly to me in some of the things they are controlling. I mean , how and the heck are we suppose to get clothes clean with no water . 3 riense cycles to do so seems to me , a lot more energy and water is being used .

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Chloebud,

For the times I needed to I've used the soak feature in place of the prewash but because I can select the soil level I've only used this feature a couple of times. I also have used the Oxi with Steam feature on some very heavily soiled things. I should also mention that I have soft water which I'm sure contributes to some of the cleaning success of my laundry detergent.

My old Maytag had both delicate and handwash feature. I really couldn't tell the difference between the two and always selected the delicate cycle just out of habit. My new machine allows me to select the spin speed which I really like as I wash a lot of items that are delicate and truth be told should probably be washed by hand in a basin but I've had success thus far putting the items in a mesh bag using the delicate cycle with a lower spin speed.

The Maytag model I purchased was not the Maytag model I had planned on purchasing but the salesman strongly suggested I look at the model with the direct drive motor.

• chloebud
    8 years ago

Corum, thanks for such a thorough response, including the direct drive motor. I need to find out if the 655DW also has that. I don't see it on Lowe's site for either the 655DW or 755DW models. One thing's for sure, reading online reviews makes things more confusing. Seems every brand has lots of negative reviews, but I guess it's more likely to comment when you're not happy.

• tammra2
    8 years ago

I really don't have anything negative to say about the speed queen I own . I'm happy with my machine 100% I beg Speed Queen to please just leave everything the way it has been for the past 30 ! they may have been around longer than that . Does anyone have anything negative to say about the speed queen at all ? ( in performance ) I'm curious . Good luck everyone is what ever model / brand you choose . All the feedbacks on this thread , will definetly have help in purchasing a washer and with doing more additional research for sure and will save them from all the stress

• Alberta Casto
    6 years ago

right now my speed queen is stuck in drain . been there for 4 days. can"t get them to call me back. this is the second time in three mo. that's how long I have owned it.

• lcswilcox195kw
    6 years ago
    Is it the model with an electronic panel? Have you tried unplugging it then plugging it back in? Have you called the salesman who sold it to you? Have you emailed Speed Queen ?