Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_kent6148217

Induction slide in range recommendations?

Mary Pikl
8 years ago
Hi,

We are doing full kitchen remodel, and do not have gas in our home. We'd like to have an induction slide in range and even ordered the new kitchen aid slide in induction range, which now appears as though it may be unavailable. (Waiting to hear back in options from our appliance dealer Tuesday). This is a bit frustrating as we purchased other KA appliances to go with the stove. Anyway, do folks have experience with other slide in ranges or recommendations?

Thanks!

Comments (78)

• rabbitthebun
    8 years ago

the fan on the Samsung doesn't bother me at all. Not too different than the hum of the fridge. I find it really pretty quiet, but I've also had such old appliances (fridge dishwasher) before now that perhaps my point of comparison is different than yours, pam10222....?

• pam10222
    8 years ago
    My appliances were quite old too, however, the older model slide-in range was quiet. We replaced it with a Kenmore Elite slide-in electric range (not induction) and I think it was a mistake. The reviews I read while researching mentioned the oven fan but the fan noise while using the cooktop really annoys me. It's like my range hood is always on! I cleaned the oven last week and now the fan noise is even louder. Service is coming this morning and I hope something can be done.
  • Judy Bee
    8 years ago

Thank you all for this wonderful thread. I am getting a new kitchen with the range in a peninsula with a counter-height eating bar. Even though there's gas now, I thought the smooth, cool top of the induction range would be better for the peninsula and I fell in love with the features of the Samsung. I haven't found one on display locally, since this is a gas area, but might buy it sight unseen. Regarding keeping the top clean, I've read that you can cover the stove top with paper towels or parchment paper when you cook something that spatters.

• rabbitthebun
    8 years ago

Judy Bee, I'll post some photos. I had trouble finding photos of the Samsung installed, as well -- and it drove me crazy. It wasn't like me to buy sight-unseen and no hands-on testing. But I went for it, and love it.

• Judy Bee
    8 years ago

I have seen Samsung gas ranges on display so am familiar with some of the features, so I'm comfortable with buying the induction range without seeing it. It is a splurge! And I still plan to buy a convection microwave, which sounds like a great appliance to have.

• Heather Macdonald
    8 years ago
    The latest consumer reports lists Samsung NE58h9970WS in the top 2 with Kenmore 95073 , electric induction. In gas, Samsung scored in the top 2.
  • MLKR
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I am looking for a 36 inch stand alone or slide in inducation range. I know they do not exist yet, but does anyone know if any of the manufacturers are working on it? I have a wonderful gas GE Profile there now, but it generates too much heat and constantly sets off the fire alarms. Induction is definitely the solution.

• Judy Bee
    8 years ago

I saw this on sale, not a range though: Thermador 36” Cooktop Freedom Induction

• Bill Sellars
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

We just had the Bosch HEIP054U a step up from 850U (850 with all the bells and whistles thrown in). When the burners are on 4 reg and one warmer there is a slight fan noise that is almost non existent. This keeps the electronic controls cool so they do not burn out. This unit has a button you can push for quick preheat. I set the over at 375 for a test and it was there in 15 minutes. I set the oven timer for 20 so the oven would shut off at that time to see how long the fan would run once the oven was shut down.

Once the oven is turned on you can hear the fan as it goes up in sones but is not bad, compared to some other units we had heard. The fan on this unit shut down 15 minutes after the oven shut off. We had purchased the Kitchen Aid Arch II series in 2014 and sent it back the day we plugged it in for a few reason: 1) It took the over 30-45 minutes to preheat. 2) The fan ran for 1.5-2 hours after we shut the unit down. Way to much noise and the sones were higher than the Bosch. This kitchen is located in a great room. 3) the heat and fumes came out the front of the range between the door and controls.

With the Bosch there is no heat or fumes coming out the front. It all goes out the vent at the back of the unit. A little commonsense and engineering goes a long way.

If you go with Gas models it is my understanding that there is no fan noise unless you use the convection feature. We did not go this route as we were not informed of the fan noise issues that were popping up until after all wall were sealed back and cabinets in place.

• sndbrown
    7 years ago

We got tied up in the same delay for the KA slide in induction range and opted to wait ( we do have a loaner from the appliance store.) . First the delay was till January, then April & now we're told it will be June. If that doesn't come through this time, will be looking at the other recommendations made above.

• jkamm12
    7 years ago

I need to replace my Jenn Aire slide in electric range - it's about 12 years old and is on the fritz. I want induction but would also like downdraft venting, which is what the current range has. Has anyone heard if the new Kitchenaid or Jenn Aire Induction slide in ranges will also be offered with a downdraft? Assuming they are ever released, of course!

• Judy Bee
    7 years ago

I was faced with the same decision. I do not like island hoods, i'm going with the kitchenAid gas downdraft range instead. I am sorry because I really wanted that Samsung induction range with its wonderful features. So I am getting a convection microwave that I will use as an oven instead of that spiffy top oven of the Samsung.

• jkamm12
    7 years ago

My local appliance guy is trying to convince me to just go with the Samsung induction and forgo venting. He said that the heat the induction gives off is so minimal that it's not a risk. Frankly, I was tempted as I basically never run the downdraft venting that I have on my range now.

But, I'm just not comfortable with that so was leaning towards doing exactly what you did - just need to tap into the gas line that already runs under the kitchen.

My last hope was thinking that MAYBE Kitchen Aid or Jenn Air would present the option of downdraft when/if their slide in inductions were ever released...

• Mary Pikl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It's hard to describe how much less heat comes from induction vs gas. Basically with the induction, the main thing that heats up is the pot. There isn't a lot of heat that transmits from the stove. If you're cooking doesn't generate lots of smoke/vapors that require venting, then you very well could get away without a vent hood. I wouldn't go back to gas after using induction.

• sndbrown
    7 years ago

Good to know about the lesser heat from the induction range ... maybe someday we'll find out. Still waiting for our KA induction range, last word from KA was they have no idea when the range will be available ... so we've been using a "state of the art" 1970's GE coil burner range on loan from our appliance dealer for the last 6 mos. I am annoyed with how long this is taking and KA offers no explanation as to when the induction range will be available although they are taking orders.

• Mary Pikl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well at the same time we originally ordered appliances, we bought a counter depth KA refrigerator. The thing never worked right, what made it worse is that tech support kept telling the repair man to use the incorrect parts to fix it. I love my KA dishwasher, but would never buy another type of appliance from that line. The customer support just isn't right. Luckily after $500 losses in food from freezing/too warm fridge temperature and 3 visits from the repairman, resulting in a fridge that's still broken, our appliance store has allowed us to return it for store credit. I ordered a Samsung fridge as a replacement, hoping we like it as much as the stove! (BTW appliance dealer did say to steer clear of Samsung dishwashers).

• Casandra383 Dean
    7 years ago
    I just bought the Samsung, it is sitting in my garage waiting to be installed as soon as the cabinets are in. I am hoping I love it! :)
  • Casandra383 Dean
    7 years ago
    I wanted the KA, but it isn't available until October!!
  • k l
    7 years ago

It is not so much heat but steam, smoke and vapors that make venting a good idea. Also dislike island hoods but there are ceiling-flush vent fans in existence - efficacy might depend on ceiling height.

• sndbrown
    7 years ago

Our KA induction range was finally installed this week. Have been using and very much like how it's going. It was a long wait to get this appliance which we ordered nearly a year ago

• Judy Bee
    7 years ago

Here in Los Angeles, vents are required. I'll investigate the ceiling-flush system. Thanks!

• Violette Barasch
    7 years ago

Wolf is coming out with a 36" induction range this fall, but probably pricey...

• Judy Bee
    7 years ago

sndbrown, how's the KA behaving? Are you loving it? I might go ahead with the dreaded island vent hood (the Zephyr Lux ceiling mount one is around $2,107 plus the recirculating kit; kind of pricey) and get induction.

• sndbrown
    7 years ago

Judy Bee, the KA is delighting us with the ease of use and the responsiveness on heat settings. I feared we would have challenges with the controls but not so, we've learned that very quickly. It's easy to clean and looks great. My spouse made the best polenta he's ever fixed and we think it was due to the gentle cooking, the polenta stayed creamy, just the way he likes it. We've always been fans of gas cooking but this is far superior.

• magarnsey
    7 years ago
    We decided on the GE slide in induction range. So far I love it. Not noisy at all. You do have to lock the controls to clean up because they are sensitive and turn on if you are rubbing with a sponge or cloth. I have not used the warming drawer and would have rather had a real storage drawer. We went with a kenmore elite counter depth fridge and dishwasher. We just installed a Sharp drawer microwave and will see what the future holds.
  • Judy Bee
    7 years ago

SAMSUNG has a new induction model (NE58K9560WS/AA) this year, less expensive and without that flexible/"dual" oven feature and I hope to get it instead of the KA for three reasons: 1) the cooktop is completely flat so better for my peninsula application, 2) I prefer the knobs to the touchpad, 3) it has a real self-cleaning option. I just hope it's available; I just discovered it last night so haven't checked with Snyder Diamond. But I'm excited to have what I really want instead of the downdraft gas KA. Thanks, k I, for the idea about the ceiling flush vent system. I don't know if there's another option besides the Zephyr Lux, but that one looks pretty good!

• Martha McMane
    7 years ago

We've had our Samsung induction stove (the one with the induction top and yes, the flexible dual oven feature) for five months and really love it. The induction top is awesome, and we love the knobs, how they look and feel, and the little addition of the led lights on the burners makes it very intuitive. The oven is working well and can be used as convection or standard. We recommend it P.S We got the microwave to match, since it goes over it, and at first I didn't like it because I didn't find it very intuitive - but now that I'm used to it, it's fine. And they look great together. As a side note, we got a Bosch dishwasher and Bosch french door countertop depth refrigerator, and the handles and finish look just fine with the Samsung appliances. We took someone's advice to go for the appliances that had the best ratings and not just feel we had to buy a set of matching appliances, and we're glad we did.

• k l
    7 years ago

sndbrown, am trying to decide between Bosch and KitchenAid, KitchenAid hard to find as a demo just yet. Have you used the oven? How noisy is the fan?

• sndbrown
    7 years ago

kl Yes, we've used the range, both induction cook top and the oven a number of times. I've noticed no noise from the oven. In fact, I just did a test run, setting the oven to 350º on convection. The fan was turning but no noise.

• k l
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Good to know. The Bosch at the dealer was audible, not rackety but like a vent fan on a low setting - potentially annoying. I prefer the counter-overlap, styling and burner timers of the Bosch but the KA has some other nice features. A little hesitant about cleanability of the silicon gasket around the glass on the KA too.

• savahna
    7 years ago

Judy Bee, I have that range on order. I'll let you know how it is. I loved the look of it and it seems the only difference between that and the more expensive one is the dual oven feature. I don't use my oven enough to need dual zones.

• Judy Bee
    7 years ago

Did you find out how long it would take? Is it readily available?

I'm going to have a convection microwave which I suspect I'll use more than a regular oven, so I can do without that dual oven feature. In my present kitchen I use my big toaster oven exclusively.

• rabbitthebun
    7 years ago
    I was hoping for a pic of the Samsung installed before purchasing last winter, and couldn't find one. finally posting my own, in case it helps others. I love its look and function!
  • savahna
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Judy Bee yes they are out there. I got mine from Lowes and they are on sale. I got a convection microwave (over the range) from Maytag. Take a look at them. They are all stainless. They don't have the black on them that overwhelms most microwaves. The CFM is 400 which is the highest I have found in a OTR microwave. It also comes in a non convection which is less expensive.

• Casandra383 Dean
    7 years ago
    This is my Samsung Flex Duo. It has been in for 8 weeks or so and we absolutely love it!! (The legs do need adjusted so it sits flush on the granite.)
  • rabbitthebun
    7 years ago
    my pics don't seem have posted. try again?
  • Judy Bee
    7 years ago

Wow, thanks to both of you for posting! It's great to see your beautiful kitchens. Mine will be more like rabbitthebun's, with white cabinets and subway tile, same floor as Casandra383. But my Samsung will be on a peninsula. You've got me all excited!

• Judy Bee
    7 years ago

I'm changing my kitchen design so the range will be against the outside wall where the vent opening is. Now I am bummed because Samsung doesn't have a matching Chef Collection convection microwave! Am considering the Bosch, which does have the matching convection M/W or even the KitchenAid. I've got to look more closely at the KitchenAid induction controls/features.

• k l
    7 years ago

I believe KitchenAid and JennAir tops are almost identical. Both have a two smaller burners on the left that can bridge, a small toward the right rear and the large burner toward the front ( different than the Bosch) --My local stores do not have a KitchenAid model sample, production seems to be slow. Wondering what the implication will be for parts as a result.

You might want to consider the JennAir too since they are sister companies. Look at the specs for the burner power output. The main difference seems to be the steam pan. I am going through the same process. Looking at the same ovens.

• tohberg
    7 years ago

I found this thread as we are having to replace our Samsung induction range we purchased in Dec 2015. The stove blew out in the back (the wires literally melted) after only 10 months in our kitchen. I had our baby next to me in the kitchen, when I heard a loud bang and the oven shut down, and then there was a burning smell - it was quite scary. Samsung refuses to honor the warranty and is instead blaming our installation, so we're out $3000 in less than 10 months of ownership. The range worked well while it lasted, but the worst part has been dealing with Samsung customer service. Not only did it take them a week just to send a technician out to look at it, but we have been on calls with them daily and after all that they still won't honor the warranty. For that reason we're looking for a different brand to replace it. I hope this is helpful for those looking into buying Samsung ranges in the future (they also have phones that are catching on fire if you've read that in the news too..) Sorry to be a bummer but I would have wanted to read this when I was in the market for a new stove! And I hope all those here who have one currently enjoy it for many years and have better luck than us!

• k l
    7 years ago

Tohberg, we are shopping, still. All of the appliance places note that Bosch seems to be most responsive to customer service/repair.

• rabbitthebun
    7 years ago

Tohberg, I'm sorry to hear. What a SCARY, dangerous, and expensive bummer. Very disappointing. Can you elaborate on what installation error Samsung is blaming this on? For those of us who have a Samsung, this might be helpful information.

• tohberg
    7 years ago

@k l - good to know! We actually ended up purchasing a Jenn Air induction slide in this past weekend (the size of the Bosch slide in induction option was a bit too small for us), so fingers crossed the Jenn Air will work out much better.

@rabbitthebun - Samsung would not specify what the "installation error" was. I requested their full analysis/report and they said they had to "look into it" and of course we have not heard back. It turns out most appliance warranties state they won't honor a warranty due to "improper installation" so it's an easy loophole for any companies that don't want to treat their customers well. Big lesson learned for us was that it's important that you have whomever you buy the appliance from also install it, so you have both the appliance maker and the installation company liable if something breaks under warranty. After going to three different appliance stores and getting feedback from multiple sales reps, they all agreed that Samsung should have honored their warranty since the range was under a year old, it was working properly for 10 months, and there was no evidence of power surge or other electrical issues in our hookup.

I do believe that Samsung appliances are rated well because many of them are newer to market, like the range many folks on this thread have purchased or discussed here, and folks haven't had to deal with their customer service yet. Again I wish everyone the best of luck and I hope this was a one off incident in our case, especially for safety reasons!

• Lori B McRae
    7 years ago
    Feel the overwhelming need to chime in here regarding the Samsung induction range. I purchased the Chef Collection Slide in induction range Sept 2015. Induction cooktop is awesome ! So fast, responsive and easy to clean. The convection oven ? Didn't work from day one. The oven simply can not maintain temperature. The oven preheats somewhat slowly, as do all convection ovens, due to that nifty hidden lower element. Once it's at temp and the door is opened to put food in,( 6 seconds - yes , I timed it), the temp drops 50 - 60 degrees. Again, normal for temp to drop, although usually not quite so dramatically. The problem is that it NEVER regains normal temp. So once I realized what was happening, I started to put food into oven before it had quite gotten up to temp. Easy - problem solved ! WRONG. Oven would reach temp, then slowly drop down anywhere from 25 - 60 degrees, without the door being opened.
    Samung, after many hours on the phone, sent tech out to repair. Everything that could be replaced, was ( motherboard, relays, temp sensors)and it made no difference. So a few months later, this was done again. Still no difference. At this point I went back to Sears and told them what was happening. They immediately offered to replace the faulty oven with whichever oven I wanted. After much deliberation, I elected to try another Samsung, same model. I had read so many wonderful reviews, loved the look, loved the induction cooktop, and loved the oven when it worked properly, which unfortunately was approxiamately 5% of the time.... Guess what? The replacement has exactly the same issue. Had the same repairs done , to no avail. Samsung has been frustrating and difficult to deal with - I've been told I'm using the wrong pans, that temp fluctuations of that extent are normal ??!!!! ( so my frozen pizzas that are still uncooked after 40 minutes is normal) and that I just don't know how to use convection cooking. ( My old KitchenAid convection was the best oven I've ever had ). Sooo, Sears has been wonderful, and has agreed to replace the Samsung with my choice of range. Now I just have to figure out which one to choose ......I will NEVER by a Samsung appliance again, and will tell anyone who asks, and even those who don't, about my very poor experience !
  • shonagh
    7 years ago

we had the samsung induction duoflex oven for 22 months, loved it and then we got an error which will cost us $1600 to repair. not worth it. we are now looking at other induction ranges. we have been contemplating the electrolux. but i am reading on it and it too seems to have error code problems--as do most. we love the induction, but just not sure which brand to go with now. we would love the miele, but it is out of our price range.

• sallybinokc
    7 years ago

I'm building a new home and am researching which appliances I'll install. I've never used induction cooking but everyone is consistently high on it so I'm looking at slide in induction ranges. Although I like the features on the Samsung I keep reading more and more accounts of errors resulting in repeated, extremely expensive repairs and very poor customer service. I'm leaning toward the Kitchen Aid slide in induction range, which apparently took a really long time to get on the market but is now available. I notice that this is one slide in that does NOT have an overlap of the cooktop over the countertop so I'm wondering if anyone has issues with spills going down the side of the oven between the range and the cabinet, or how you can prevent this? Also, how does everyone like the touch controls? I have touch controls on my current Kenmore electric cooktop and they're OK, but there's a slight delay when you touch the controls. Nothing huge, but wonder how the KA controls work. And are they easy to see?

Also any suggestions on fridges. I'm leaning toward something with French doors and possibly the additional drawer in the middle, with freezer on the bottom. My in-laws have an LG but have needed the icemaker repaired twice in the first 9 months as it freezes up and won't dispense ice.

• rabbitthebun
    7 years ago
    our samgsung electric induction slide-in is great so far, but I'm nervous given the comments on this thread...we have an LG like you describe, French door, ice maker,but no water dispenser. we turned off the icemaker for several weeks and the line did freeze, we fixed it ourself with no new parts needed. I guess the lesson is either to keep it running or if you are turning it on for the first time in a while, make sure you are home to hear the problem and catch any leaking asap... so far that's been our only,problem...we've had both appliances about 24 months.
  • sndbrown
    7 years ago

Gap Cover on AmazonWe have KA for both our induction range (6 months) and counter depth french door refrigerator (one year). Love the induction cooking, easy to keep the cook top clean, controls are instant. The range does lack the overlap, I use "gap cover's." First tried silicon then moved to stainless steel which had a better look and smaller footprint. The oven is slower to preheat than previous ovens we've had. We allow 15 minutes to get to desired heat. Few issues to date with either appliance other than the "learning curve." The refrigerator does throw out the ice cubes too fast sometimes, I keep a plastic bowl nearby to catch the cubes needed. Would purchase both appliances again. Link has info on the gap cover.

• smit2380
    7 years ago

Sallybinokc - We recently had to replace our GE induction slide-in range (due to its spectacular destruction during the cooking of Thanksgiving dinner). I looked at, but ultimately did not purchase the KitchenAid. Not because there was anything wrong with it. I was just annoyed by how long it would take to get in (Tulsa, OK does not have a large supply of in-stock induction slide-in ranges), and I hated the sales person at that particular store so very much. If I had gone with the KitchenAid (instead of one I could get sooner from a less obnoxious sales person), I determined that I might use some kind of strip to cover the gap. This is an example, not necessarily the best example, but an example.

https://www.amazon.com/Stovetop-Extender-SE24BLA-Oven-Guard/dp/B0027DW4QG

• theyod
    6 years ago

We have a Jenn-Air JIS1450DS Induction Range and do NOT recommend this product. It only has 3 functional burners. The 4th burner is so large that it will not activate with even large sized pots. (The oven will beep and show an error code if the "correct" sized pot or pan is not on it.) We have an oversized frying pan that has enough circumference to activate the burner, but it is SO oversized that we almost never use it. Also, the self cleaning feature on the oven is very poor. It requires standing water at the bottom of the unit, but only the bottom of the unit gets clean. Less than a year in and the oven is quite dirty. We are having to revert to old fashioned elbow grease to clean it, which is NOT what we expected when we paid over $3K for an oven.