sew_crafty

I really need help with my craft room!

Sunny

Hi! Ok, I have this amazing craft room, which doubles as my office. It's a good sized room but is not a square or rectangle. It is more of an "L" shape and I have no clue how to organize it. The photos I'm posting show a very cluttered room. Every time I start a project it gets that way. I have been attempting to organize it since last December, with no luck. Can anyone help me? I think I just might have too much stuff, but I use everything in it. Oh, and yes, I know I have dolls in there (which take up a lot of room), but my hubby won't allow them anywhere else in the house because he says they creep him out. I've had this collection for many years and they're special to me. I guess my question is...do I need different furniture? I don't like my cutting table. It was cheaply made and takes up a LOT of room, as you can see. It does fold up, but I am usually working on something, so I just leave it open.

• susan2494

WOW!. I would first invest in a new craft table and then arrange storage underneath it for items that you use on it daily. So they can be stored after being used. Take everything off the walls that have no purpose. The dolls on the shelves are fine, but all the small pictures on all the walls need to be stored. Invest in some cabinets with doors and then paint all the units one color. There is no rule that says you cannot label your drawers and bins. Also how many chairs do you need in the room? I see 3 and 2 are on wheels that you can move around the room. Remove the black cubby holed unit or get some baskets that are labeled for that stuff.

Sunny thanked susan2494

Really need help with my living room arrangements

Yeah I think TV can go either way, but really not sure of couch/sofa placement or sitting arrangements that will look best. Also, what should I do behind sofa? And where do I make a pathway to go there?

I need help putting a craft corner in my living room, but I want it to

Why not? Most of the time the "living room" isn't lived in! I am thinking I will add a vinyl tablecloth to the formal table and paint there!

My craft room closet needs help, too!

Hi y'all! I got so many wonderful suggestions for my craft room so I thought I would ask about my closet. (I'm already working on my room, by the way!) It's a great closet with a lot of potential, but I have no clue what I'm doing. Each side of the closet has shelves that are approximately 3 ft. deep. I hope y'all can see the potential of this awesome closet in the photos!

I really need help decorating my living room!

Wondering how your couch would look under the windows and you could add a side table on one side and a floor lamp on the other and a leather chair (1st picture) for balance. I would centre the art on the long wall and maybe add a console table underneath (3nd pic). I think your coffee table is fine (need one), but you could accessorize better. Move the long glass unit to the nearby wall and add a large floor mirror next to it and place your plants together in the far right corner by window. You don't have to purchase everything all at once, but when you have a direction on how you would like the room to look, you can take your time and get the right pieces at the right prices and add slowly.
  • Sunny

Hi Susan! Thank you so much for the advice! I have been looking into a table with storage underneath. I'm trying to convince my hubby to make me one. Could I not just put baskets in the black cubbies? I'm just curious...I actually got the "cubby idea" on someone's blog about craft room organization. Also, the tall chair is for my table when I'm scrapbooking. I can't stand too long due to my bad knees (and I'm getting old...haha). One rolling chair is for my sewing table, and the other is for my desk. I guess I could get rid of one. That makes sense...they're always in my way! I love the idea of cabinets! How many would you suggest? I would love to replace my office desk (with the hutch) with cabinets along the wall...if that makes sense.

• susan2494

Yes, baskets for the cubby hole cabinet, your craft store must have tons of them. I would bet at least 2 cabinets, make sure they are deep enough to hold bins that will accommodate your items. I just saw this on overstock,com. I would suggest that you move the black cubby hole unit over on the wall where you have shelf and that geometric holder thing for rolls and get one of these for that wall. The roll out and would have room to do that in window. Then they roll back in. Cool.

• Sunny

Thank you so much...again!!! I love that roll out thing...so cool! I'll definitely take your advice. :-)

• susan2494

overstock.com ITEM# 17529014

• Keep us posted on results.
  • suzyq53

My sister in-law has those dolls too. Totally creepy. They are lined up in the master bedroom watching. LOL Besides that your space looks killler. Its a project room so its going to be a mess. Thats to point!

• Sunny

Susan, thanks!!!!

• Sunny

SuzyQ, I love my dolls. I have had them for over 20 years. I don't have the heart to store them. This is the first home I've had in years that I've had a room for them. We have a couple of high ledges in our master bedroom and my husband says he's afraid they'll attack him in his sleep if I put them up there. hahaha They aren't real...until we leave the house, of course, then they're all over the place. LOL Thanks for the compliment, too! I love my craft room. I'll like it better when I can find all of my things. I have 2 closets (one large, one very small), which helps.

• suzyq53

Its an awesome space. Lucky you! I'm noticing all your dolls are girls, hoping Chucky isn't attracted. Yikes!

• suzyq53

No wait. I missed the dwarfs or is it dwarves and musicians. They are totally doing more than running around.

• Sunny

HA!!! Actually, I do have one male doll. He's just a baby, though. He probably only crawls around. LOL I usually don't even count Snow White and the Dwarves as part of my "collection". I will be putting those in our theater once it's finished. Yes, my hubby will allow 7 dwarves and a princess, but not porcelain dolls. hahaha!! As for the musicians, I assume you're referring to the Beatles dolls. I knit those dolls and sewed the clothes! I'm sure they do more than running around. Look at all the ladies they have to choose from! :-)

• mom3333

My husband turned our dining room into a sewing room for me, and one thing I really like is the kitchen base cabinets he used to hold a formica counter that he made. I use it A LOT. Right now it has my sewing machine but when I want to use it as a big table, he made a little insert to fill the hole the sewing machine was in.

He used base cabinets with doors, and one with drawers - lots of storage!

RL Design

Hello, Sunny. I can see this is a well used room. The only problem is the clutter which makes the room feel less inviting to use. I just recently worked with a client who loves to sew, do scrapbooking, organize her pictures, paint, etc. The first thing that we did was to think about what she needs and how she likes to use them. This is the key to not only decluttering the space, but also ending up with a space that you will love to use and come home to. We also discussed what she did not need and could either be given away or put somewhere else. My client invested in custom cabinets, but you can buy stock cabinets, perhaps even IKEA cabinets to create the storage need that you want. See pictures of what we ended up with.

Sunny thanked RL Design
  • mom3333

Photos of my room. My biggest problem was convincing my 6' 2" husband that the room had to work for a 5' 4" wife. Once we got that settled, he did a fabulous job. We used unfinished cabinets from Home Depot and he bought heavy duty hinges and an in-the-wall-

between-the-studs ironing board cabinet too.

Sunny thanked mom3333
    RL Design

Sunny, another thought for organization is to create zones within your space. From what I can see, you need a work zone, a zone to do scrap booking, a sewing area, etc. Once you've determined those zones, organize the materials that you need so that they are immediately accessible when you need them. The less steps you do, the more enjoyable your work will be.

You say you need everything that are in the picture. However, if you take a weekend, to look at the space with new eyes and with a goal of creating zones, you may find that you can get rid of stuff.

The closet is prime territory. I would really look at what you have in there. I propose that there is a way to put your precious doll collection in that closet so that they are protected and not in the way. Perhaps put them on upper shelves, then use the bottom shelves for rolling drawers, cubby boxes that are labelled neatly,etc. In between the upper shelves and rolling drawers, you can probably hang some dowels like we did in my client's room for ribbons.

Hope all this starts you thinking so that you can finally have the craft room that you love. If you invest some time and elbow grease, there is no reason you can't have that

• Sunny

RL design, thank you so much! I completely understand what you're saying. My intention all along was to make "stations" for each of my hobbies. My closet has all of my yarn for knitting/crochet. I have a sewing machine, embroidery machine, and serger, which I do use frequently. I scrapbook, but not as often as I sew/embroider, or knit. Can you just come over and help? haha I'm still working on a plan for the dolls. They're really taking up space...and I do realize that. I'm going in there with new eyes now. Thanks again! :-)

• Sunny

I just thought of something...if I put all of my dolls in the closet, it would scare the heck out of people when they open the doors! haha (sorry, I have a quirky sense of humor) ;-)

• Dawn D
    Try a door for the table/desk top with night stands underneath. I saw this in an office and it worked well.
    RL Design

Sunny, you have a great sense of humor! If you don't want to scare people, can the dolls be put in plastic bins? Do you need to see them all the time? With your closet, I suggest you invest in some long shelves.

Currently, I see one shelf on top and what look like plastic bins in the bottom. There is a lot of air space in between which you could use if you had a long shelf. Check out what The Container Store offers for ideas.

Your desk is large and takes up a lot of room. Can you use a smaller desk?

Since you seem to be a sewer and you have a lot of machines devoted to this hobby, can you line them up along the same wall? Then purchase a table that is open in the bottom. You can use the table to bisect the room. It can also serve a multi-purpose need -for sewing projects and for scrapbooking. The open space in the bottom can hold rolling shelves that you can store scrapbooking items as well as sewing needs. If you also get one that has drawers, you can put away a project that is not completed and have a clear space to do other hobbies.

To make it fun,get different colors for each hobby. The color cues will make it easy to know which ones should be used for the right hobby. They'll also add a sense of whimsy.

Sunny thanked RL Design
  • Sunny

I will take a photo of my large closet and post it tomorrow, just so you can see what I have in there, and you can have a better idea of what I'm dealing with. I love your ideas. Thank you so much! My mind is full of how it will look when I'm finished!

Blue Dog Decorating

I'm definitely all about separating the room into stations. The hardest thing with any craft space is getting everything organized, and then making sure things always get back where they belong. I try to make sure I get all my supplies put away after each project even if I'm going to be using them again on the next one. I would definitely add more shelving in the closet, even if it's just some inexpensive plastic shelving from the hardware store. I would also add more shelving in the room, especially to get a lot of the dolls and other decor up out of reach space, keeping any lower shelving that's easy to reach open for the things you use all the time is important, display stuff can stay up high. It's hard to describe how I would rearrange the room, so I made a sketch, hope it's helpful, since I'm not sure about the actual dimensions of any of your stuff. I've also included a photo of my craft space. I do mostly sewing, so it's largely set up for that pursuit, but I also do some drawing/drafting, as well as some scrapbooking, crochet, and various other crafts.

• Sunny
    Thank you, B Shelley! I love your room. I appreciate everyone's advice. I am in the process of making my room more awesome. I have about 270 Sq ft but it's such a weird shape. I love all of the ideas! I'll post photos of before/after. :)
  • Sunny
    And thanks for the sketch! ;)