michelle8924

Best flooring for 3 large dogs

Michelle Poe
Just bought a house and we are ripping up all the flooring. What is the best flooring (no carpet!!) to have with 3 boxers?

• havingfun

have heard and seen where wood laminate works really well with partying dogs. If there is much water spillage, then there could be a problem, it wants to bubble up if left along seams.

Flooring: Porcelain tile or travertine thru main areas? I have 3 kids and 2 small dogs.

Hello artlife5, What's your budget? Either material will work for you and will last through three children and two dogs (although make certain you select a well made porcelain company) but the travertine will be more costly. The porcelain tile is available in hundreds of colors, patterns, tile shapes and widths and in a very wide variety of quality. This is a very European take on flooring in the main area. Take a look at some lovely porcelain tile coming out of Europe. The travertine is available in only a few colors, but can add a warmth as a natural stone that the porcelain tile will try hard to beat. The fossils can be fun to find, as well, especially for the kids! Best of luck with your decorating and let us know if we can be of any assistance, Elizabeth

Help deciding on the best type of flooring for a house with two active dogs.

Yes, thank you for the suggestions. Definately have time to decide on something we can live with. Linda Simelaro - love the idea of stained concrete. Our house is designed a little (okay, very funky). Ground floor is a 2 car garage and beyond that was approximate 1000 square feet of space which was never developed. It's fully enclosed but never developed by previous owner as it was mainly used as a rental. Last year we had the concrete slab poured and so far have put in a full bathroom from scratch and are now working on the 18' x 25' media room. There will also be two other rooms (secondary kitchen/laundry leading to the patio and backyard and either an office or exercise room). My husband and I are doing the majority of the work ourselves so it's slow but great. We stained the concrete in the bathroom and liked it so much we also stained the media room. It's a mix of blues, greens, browns and Tuscan Gold. One friend saw it and wondered where we got the large tiles from (we laughed). He could not believe how well it looked. The 2nd floor is where the main entry is and includes the bedrooms, baths, kitchen, living room/dining room and sunrooms are and this is where the new flooring will go. So it will be a while before we start on the renovations upstairs.

need help with "grass" for dogs on 3rd floor balcony

There is something called a porch potty that is basically an 8 square foot litter box for dogs, only with fake grass. It rinses the grass and drains automatically but seems better suited to a porch than a 3rd floor balcony, since it requires a water hose and a place for draining the liquid, such as a patio drain.

Hardwood flooring with large dogs

I would suggest handscraped Mesquite or another dense species of wood. Handscraped because it will hide any scratches, Mesquite because of the character which will hide scratches, and using an oil finish that is spot repairable in case some scratches become gouges.
  • Nancy in Mich

Plus your budget - how much do you want to spend? We went with real linoleum - the kind made with cork, pigment, and linseed oil and sold on rolls and installed by people who have attended special installer schools to cope with the strange humps in the material caused by the drying racks. Our dogs have not marred the surface of the Forbo Marmoleum at all. We have it in the kitchen, family room, foyer, and all the halls. In our last house we installed linoleum plank flooring in the kitchen in 2003. The seams were glued when installed in the click-lock 1 ft x 3 ft MDF and cork laminate topped with linoleum. We had a 70, a 65, and a 45 lb dogs living in that house. They had a 90 degree turn to make in that kitchen which they often did cartoon-dog style with legs a-whirling as they slid around that curve. They lived there two years and never even scratched that floor. With the economic crash, we managed to continue to own that house until last summer, and I was very surprised to see that the kitchen floor was still in great shape, except where renters dropped fingernail polish onto it. Still no scratches after 11 years with smaller dogs and several cats. Linoleum - especially Forbo Sheet Marmoleum - is pretty expensive, but about as bullet-proof a floor as you can get that is not hard tile. It is also anti-static, so cuts down on electric shocks between you and the dogs.

• hayleydaniels

Porcelain tile is great but it can be slippery for dogs. I put down throw and area rugs on my tile so my smaller dog has more traction as she slips a lot. The tile is great for all the water dribbles when they drink.

• W
    I wish someone would declare terrazzo in style.
  • havingfun

i thought they had, i remember seeing these couple tearing off and scraping the coverings, saying they had beautiful terrazzo underneath. grew up with the stuff. a penny a pound in fl 60s ranch.

• ptreckel
    I am officially declaring terrazzo in style! There. Done! ;)
  • W
    Thank you, ptreckel. Now I can recommend it for Nancy's dogs.
  • Techi

We just put down solid maple distressed hardwood. I was ready to do Brazilian Cherry but my friend with two golden retrievers did that and completely regretted it. Her floors are all scarred up.

I have laminate that looks like slate in my main living space and LVP in my basement where the dogs run in and out from a dog run all day we have had both floors for 8 yrs and both look like new so I guess that would say good quality laminate ot LVP

• havingfun

i have noticed that before patricia, do you like it? I love the way it looks, i bet it is easier on the tootsies too, no? and probably definitely easier on the silly one all spread eagle. Beauregard, does it too. course he has no legs to speak of. lol

• bluedogdecorating

After having had hardwood with a big dog, I would stay as far from wood as possible, and ceramic tile, while durable will leave you forever trying to keep the grout looking clean, not to mention the slipperiness and the fact that everything you drop on it will shatter spectacularly or crack the floor. I'd stay with a high quality laminate or vinyl-type product from a wear resistant side, but they each have pet downsides too. Laminate is more scratch resistant but may chip, and you'll want to make sure your vinyl is well attached as many dogs have a tendency to pull at loose vinyl. Also, Terrazzo is totally in here in Florida.. I just wish my 1960s Florida ranch had come with some, the stuff is insanely expensive to have installed these days.

• havingfun

have you tried looking under your floor B? I know my 50s did not have it. But most did in TPA. my mom has vinyl glue to the cement sub floor. and carpet, same thing.

OP I had the wood squares, i am sorry, oxy makes me forget things, very nice, you know from 50s and before? Had old wood up here, no big problem there either. had a big dog, did not injure at all. gosh, that name is right on the tip of my tongue.

I love it and FYI the dogs that lay like that will never have hip problems I put this floor in a clients kitchen and now we are doing their whole house in it. Easy to install my hubby did 1600 sq. ft in 3 days and it is 4.00 a sq. ft.

• havingfun

i will bear in mind. Yeah, same thing with laminate wood, one afternoon whole bedroom done, and who does not want to live in this age? lol I always was told exactly the opposite about pups, good to know. Now i don't have to worry about that.

And the word for square wood tiles is parquet!!! tadadah!silly me.

• bluedogdecorating
    We have looked under all the flooring and it is sadly all just plain slab. much of the house was done in high end custom finishes for the mid-60s suburban style, and I imagine they opted for the newly desirable wall-to-wall carpet instead of the terrazzo that was starting to fall out of fashion. we did end up with some lovely period bathrooms in near mint condition, so I find that pretty cool though.
  • havingfun

sorry, for you, yes, terrazzo quickly fell out of popularity as soon as other options came in. My house was all parquet with marble switch overs into the tile bath and kitchen. The thing i had never seen before was a cement with what looked pieces of mexican tile or clay pottery mixed in.

Heritage Renovations, LLC

Hello! You should consider tile that actually looks like wood when it is in place. It is an extremely durable product that will not scratch and is very easy to clean as long as the grout is sealed and you do not select white grout. The wood look tile has come a long way in the last two years, and there are many styles and looks that you could select from. The tile also has textures like wood so it is not slick, and with some are rugs you can create any look that you desire. If you live where it is rather cold all year, you may want to invest in a heated floor system that will prevent the tile from being cold all of the time. This must be installed under your tile. I do suggest that your dogs have cushioned beds to sleep on. After all who wants to sleep on a hard floor, regardless if it is a human or dog! I hope that this helps you with your flooring needs.

Sincereley,

Leslie Peake

Heritage Renovations, llc

Owner

• Darzy

I've decided upon wood look tile in my home but it is very expensive to have it installed. Check out the reviews on this porcelain wood look tile. Many of the reviews have included photos of their finished floor. Also, there is a premix grout available that has a sealant in it and says never needs sealed. I'm hoping that's true!

Wood Look Tile from Home Depot

• Kivi
    Natural stone floors would be my flooring of choice.
    Heritage Renovations, LLC

Hi Darzy: The tile that you selected is beautiful, and the brand of tile is a very high quality selection. Do remember that your floors have to be prepared before any tile can be installed which could include various treatments such as, using a leveling agent on your existing floor so your new tile will lay flat and not have areas that may allow the tile to crack, etc... which should be part of the installation price. Keep in mind that it is better to do it right the first time, than be sorry and have to go back and repair faulty installation. Good luck on your project. I am certain that you will be pleased when it is completed.

Leslie

• havingfun

oh my aching hips and tootsies.

• Darzy

I hear ya havingfun. Pet accidents, wet feet/suits from the pool etc influenced my decision for wood look tile. I strongly considered LVT but changed my mind on the vinyl. I'm sick of shampooing dirty carpet and I sit on my butt most of the time anyway. hehehehe

Thank you for the info and tips Heritage Renovations. Much appreciated. The prep may be harder than the install. :(

• havingfun

i dig ya darzy, I remember I always wanted tile in the kitchen. About 10 years ago, it started getting harder and harder to stand on. Luckily now have vinyl, though it is about to be replaced, just won't be with tile. And I happen to think that wood tile is lovely, I actually have it in an idea book.

• Krystal Lund

I had 3 Ridgebacks when I had all my carpet replaced with wood-look tile. I love it and the dogs got used to the fact they could not tear around on it without slipping so they slowed down (not a bad thing). It's easy to clean and we used a dark grout (sealed) so don't have a problem with the grout looking dirty. There is an apoxy grout now that is very durable. It's more expensive but bombproof. We have a nice level concrete slab so installation was not a problem though we had it done. I'll tile anything but the floor. Too hard on the back and worth every penny having someone bonded do it well.

Heritage Renovations, LLC

Great idea Krystal! That is what companies like mine are for! We do the hard work and save YOUR BACK and money in the long run!! I am certain that those beautiful Ridgebacks were very hard on flooring and your wood look tile was able to take the abuse. Besides, pets are a big part of families and we love them no matter what!!

Leslie

• buddysgal

We recently redecorated our entire home and installed laminate floors with the exception of kitchen and baths. Laminate has greatly improved over the years, and have to say that they are beautiful, and hard to tell the difference from wood.

• Michelle Poe
    Thank you for all the comments and advice! It has been very helpful! I think the decision will be tile that looks like wood (the textured kind) for the downstairs and bamboo (the hardest form) for the upstairs. Dogs won't be upstairs much except to sleep.
  • mdnotdr

Hi, Michelle. We just ripped out carpet in a very large area of our home and replaced it with the wood look porcelain tile. Just had it finished last Friday and am letting the grout cure before I do the first scrubbing of the floor. I love the look of it (it has texture of wood) and am so excited about not having so much carpet for our 2 Great Pyrs to mess up. We live in the mountains and that by itself is a challenge to carpet. I think you'll appreciate the tile, too. Good luck with your project.

Flooret

I would say one big difference between wood-look tile and vinyl is the size of the planks. Most affordable wood-look tile is 6" x 24". Vinyl, on the other hand, comes typically 7" x 48". This larger size can result in a much more spacious room. Vinyl and laminate are also much more convincing visually than wood-look ceramic/porcelain. From the texture to the finish, ceramic just doesn't quite look as convincing when trying to mimic wood. It does a much better job in stone visuals.

Another difference is the feel. Ceramic is very hard. Vinyl is more forgiving. This may not be a factor for you, but in a living-room or bedroom environment vinyl feels "warmer" and more inviting to touch and sit on. Ceramic/porcelain can feel a little cold and "kitchen/bathroom"-like when in a bedroom.

Finally, ceramic/porcelain is always a professional installation, and absolutely requires a perfect sub-floor. Vinyl click floors are easily DIY (or can be done by a handyman), and much more forgiving of minor imperfections in the subfloor (they will telegraph through, because vinyl is malleable, but it can still be installed without structural damage).

For example, the Modin Collection comes in 9" x 60" planks, is 100% waterproof, and comes with a lifetime residential warranty:

Barin Vinyl Plank · More Info

Noret Vinyl Plank · More Info

Dan Davis Design

A distressed hardwood would hide wear, but water will damage it if left to soak in. LVT luxury vinyl tile is really good looking these days and can be used in residences or commercial projects, It wears like iron. Concrete is of course very durable, but hard. Ceramic would hold up, but again, any water left too long would change grout colors and if you ever broke a tile, then its problematic. I would really look at the LVT.

Hal Braswell Consulting
    We're going to be replacing about 900 SF of flooring (once moisture barrier is installed and buckling subfloor repaired) with special order glue down Modin Collection. Samples arrive next week. Karndean and Mannington have good product but we want beveled edges and glue down; could not find a look we wanted within those parameters. All in Karndean installation cost would have been $10 SF or $9,000. My DIY cost with Modin Collection will be under $3,000 counting cost of glue.Modin has 40 mil wear layer vs 20 mil for Karndean and Mannington, plus really like large plank size 9" wide by 59" long.

Our location drives up cost of professional install. Fundamental choice is use carpet in half of house and have Karndean professional installed in public areas, or DIY vinyl plank throughout entire house. Being retired makes this an easy choice.
  • Nancy in Mich

I am unaware of what brands they used, but the vinyl plank wood-look floors I have seen in several nursing homes I have been in start out looking okay, but get this greasy, waxy look within a few months. I don't think they really are greasy, they are cleaned daily. Maybe they do apply a waxy finish to them and that is the problem, I don't know. I find it strange, though, that several nursing homes that are not connected to each other have all had the very same result, wood-look vinyl floor that looks greasy over time. Has anyone seen this in other settings? Stores, restaurants, public buildings, homes?

We put commercial-grade, thick, beautiful vinyl sheet tile in a bathroom where an incontinent dog hung out and it was bullet-proof. It still looked great 15 years later when we sold the house.

• jtbeck
    We have used the allure vinyl plank flooring that is sold at Home Depot, and it's holding up great and was incredibly easy to install.
  • reller_221

Our house has a textured laminate (made to look like "hand scraped" wood floors) and I would NOT recommend it! We've been here less than 2yrs and it shows a significant amount or wear and tear. This experience makes me doubt we would ever put laminate in another home.

I've heard good things about wood-like Vinyl Plank flooring, but that it can be trickier to install if you don't already have the desired subfloor. I also love concrete floors and the high-end wood-look tiles that others have mentioned.

Good luck!

Design Intervention

Porcelain wood.

N "HANCE " D FLOORING
    use core tec xl. 9" x 72" luxury vinyl plank has pet urine warranty as well. have them 3 on sale 3.59 sf
    Heritage Renovations, LLC

There are many good selections out there for laminate flooring, vinyl, hardwood floors, and porcelain wood finish tiles. It depends on your living situation and what kind of use the floor will be getting. The longer the planks, the more likely they are to show imperfections in your walls that could be out of square, and the base floor that you are applying the new flooring to. Long planks of any material look wonderful if your walls are square and you have a rather flawless base to apply your new floor to. Cork is also becoming quite popular is some applications. No matter what you select, you should consult with a professional before making your final decision. Regardless if you use that Pro to install your product, most companies will be happy to look at your project and give you advice as to what will work best for your home and living situation.

The New & Reclaimed Flooring Company

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for this great question.

We advise you to go with Mountain European Oak, as it works very well in high-traffic areas. This oak, as any hardwood construction, is available as solid or engineered, which depends if the home has any underfloor heating or not.

Antique Reclaimed Oak is also very good in general. And even if your dogs leave marks on the floor, they would become another feature of the Reclaimed Boards.

We strongly advise you NOT to buy any laminate floor. As they have a very poor quality and you wouldn't be able to re-sand them if needed.

If you need more information, have a look at our guide

Feel free to drop us an email to info@reclaimedflooringco.com if you need additional assistance.

Your RFC friends,

Cinar Interiors, Inc.

The best surface for dogs would be tile. No scratching, no staining, no worry about drool being left unattended. Have had both laminate and vinyl plank installed in my home where a 35 lb aussie and 115 lb pit/lab reside. Neither of these surfaces lasted longer than a year mainly due to toe nails and the abundance of water from drinking bowls. Unfortunately my wife and I are gone throughout the day so keeping up with spills were hard. Over time scratches were obvious and warping from moisture took over. Vinyl is more forgiving than laminate when it comes to scratching and moisture but it didn't do well when the smaller dog got out of her kennel and decided to...dig. Didn't want to go through that mess again so we decided to install tile that mimics wood. It's been down for a couple of years now with out any problems. No scratching, no worries about standing water, no dig spots, easy maintenance. My wife is happy and that's all that matters because if mama ain't happy, ain't no body happy.

Heritage Renovations, LLC

The tile that looks like wood would be my selection as well. I have used it in numerous remodels and all of the clients that have it in their homes love the easy maintenance and the durability. It is also a good idea to not use a light color grout, as it will eventually change color from dirt and time. Best wishes on your project.

Heritage Renovatons, LLC

Wood Guys

If you want the look of wood floors without the worry, check out our new FUSION HYBRID line of flooring.
    ✅Resists Water Without Damage to Floor
    ✅Fast and Easy to Install
    ✅Installs without Glues and Adhesives. It clicks together!
    ✅Walk on Immediately After Installation
    ✅Dampens Sound
    ✅Stable-Will not Expand or Contract
    ✅Can be Installed over Existing Hard Surface
    ✅Available in Wood and Natural Stone Surfaces
    http://www.woodguys.com/product-catego…/luxury-vinyl-tile/…/