Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolbrandywine

Newbie gardener: So confused about my fall garden. Help!

Kendrah
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I am new to gardening. I have two nice strips of garden along my back patio that are highly visible from the kitchen and I want to have looking nice year round. I am in zone 7, Philadelphia. The garden is shady most of the day.

1. What kinds of annuals I can plant there that will give my garden some life well into the fall and winter. Unfortunately, I am not really attracted to mums, kales, or asters. Is there anything else? This garden is highly visible from the kitchen and I would love for it to look nice.

2. I currently have lots of vinca, some dying annuals, pathetic hellabores, and spindly bleeding heart plants, and a few mouse ear hostas there. What do I do with these to prepare for winter? Do I cut them down? If so, how far?

3. Would tulips and daffodils grow back here? I think the former owners had some daffodils that got yanked out by construction workers. When would I plant more bulbs? Also, if I want more bleeding hearts, when do those go in?

(This is the only picture I have of my kitchen windows. The kitchen is now finished. I just wanted to give an idea of how right in your face these gardens are.)

Comments (11)

• ptreckel
    8 years ago
    Hostas come in a wide variety from HUGE to tiny, and in a wide range of colors. Once you enter Hosta World you will be amazed! Other perennials that do well in heavy shade are astilbe, sedum, and ferns. You certainly can plant bulbs. Do note that deer, squirrels and chipmunks LOVE to eat tulips and will dig and eat the bulbs! So, be forewarned. Daffodils, not so much. Your hostas will look good until the first frost. Then you can remove the dead leaves and wait for them to emerge again in the spring. Some annuals last well into the fall. New Guinea Impatiens, Perunias, Geraniums, etc. but once that first frost comes....they are gone.

Go to your local nursery and seek their advice on what to plant. And when and where to plant it. Bring photos and a drawing of your yard. I advise all new gardeners to actually hire a landscape designer to come to their home for an hour or two and assess what is there and draw up a long term plan. It was the BEST money that I ever spent when we purchased our home 25 years ago. I implemented that plan slowly, over the years, as finances allowed. And now we have a beautiful yard. In the end, we saved money by spending money and getting good advice. Trust the Pros on this one!
  • PRO
    Todd Haiman Landscape Design
    8 years ago

You might want to consider taking some basic gardening classes or lectures at a botanical garden or noted public garden in the Philly area. There are certain basics to learn if you are new to gardening. Understand that it all starts with good soil, "right plant in right place" and proper maintenance.

• violetsnapdragon
    5 years ago

I'm going to go by what looks good in my shade garden right now in NJ -- Annabelle hydrangeas and hakaone grass.

• Nick Platt
    5 years ago
    First, go to your local garden center and see what looks good now. My experience is bulbs (such as tulips)don’t do particularly well in a shade. However trilliums and dog tooth lilies do great. I also like planting fall crocus under Japanese painted ferns. My favorite in the fall is Doll Eyes and Japanese Anemone. By fall my hostas are really fading. After you get a little experience I really enjoy hardy orchids in spring. Just remember, gardening is a journey not a destination.
  • PRO
    nationalcsadirectory.com
    5 years ago

Have you taken into consideration a succulent garde?

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Panzies fare well in cold weather. A lot of commercial landscapers have just installed them for businesses and they look so fresh and colorful.

• ilovecomputers
    5 years ago

Adorable dog :)

• smil101
    5 years ago
    Kendrah - my first comment disappeared - hope you don't get two.

I agree pansy is a good choice for a cool hardy annual that you could plant both in early spring and again in late fall.

Now is the time to plant daffodil bulbs (perennial) for spring bloom. If the area is not too dense with year round shade they should do fine. And deer, moles, voles and chipmunks don't eat them.

If you do have such pests, avoid tulips as they are a tasty treat. If that is not an issue then my option is same ad for daffodils.

I do not have many recommendations to offer on annual plants. However, if you would consider perennials (plant once and they return each year) I would suggest these:

Lung wort - this blooms early spring but the spotted foliage is attractive well into late fall.

Japanese anemone- beautiful pink color in the fall, nice foliage

Astilbe - this blooms earlier than your preferred fall color but the greenery remains attractive.

Spider wort - might work.

Tall sedum (i.e. Autumn joy) is a fall bloomer but generally will not carry you into late fall.

As to when to cut back, with perennials you do not want cut back the plant too soon. By doing so the plant may try to grow again instead of putting its energy into its roots for next year. Generally, cut back your perennials after hard killing frosts or wait until spring.
  • HU-817137512
    9 months ago

CONSIDER BLEEDING HEART, HOSTA, AND FERNS FOR YOUR SHADE LOCATION.

• HU-817137512
    9 months ago

ALL PLANTS NEED SOMESORT OF FERTILIZER. BASIC NON FLOWERING/FRUITING PLANTS NEED A BIWEEKLY DOSE OF 10-10-10 FERTILIZER. IF U PLAN TO GROW FLOWERY SUN LOVING PLANTS, 15-30-15 FERTILIZER.