Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
guinnessdog

Soapstone install issues

guinnessdog
8 years ago
Good evening I just had my new Noir Soapstone countertops installed and I'm very disappointed. I'm being told that the standard edge radius varies greatly because of the stone, that I should not expect the 1/4" radius to be uniform everywhere. The edge radii have dips and high spots. I was not told this when i agreed to going with the std edge after requesting a chiseled because I was told that my stone was to hard to have a chiseled edge applied. The soapstone vendor tells me that they do not recommend anything but a simple edging on the Noir stones. I think this is something that my fabricator should have been aware of prior to trying to chisel the edges by trial and error. I was told that I had enough stone to ensure that there would be no seams other than where there was a transition at a corner. But now I have a seam in the middle of my sink because I didn't have enough stone. Im also being told that my other issues outline below are due to lack of avail stone.

My sink is not centered in the sink cutout, there is approximately 1/8" difference in the overhang amount on the left side vs the right side of the sink. The vertical surface of the countertop the runs in front of my sink is out of flatness by 3/16", that run is 60" in length and has a hump.

I was told that the overhang with my cabinets during the template process was to be 1.5" but that overhang actually varies from 1 1/16" to 2". This seems excessive to me. My fabricator is telling me that he had to make the changes in the overhangs due to the area avail of my stones. If that is the case then I feel like I should have been notified post layout and prior to cutting, this was not the case.

I'm being told by my fabricator that I'm being too picky and need to understand the nature of working with soapstone.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Comments (6)