Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mihimalict

Living room

mihimalict
8 years ago

Need help. I'm an elderly minimalist. Have downsized house, including living room to make cleaning easier, giving away Tibetan rug and sectional, and removing blinds and valences. I want to keep a minimalist look, but am looking for possible better seating placements-sofa blocks view front front door-- and perhaps a rug to bring the area together. All walls in house are white, kitchen is open to living room; granite is mostly blue/grey, appliances stainless steel. Blue wall hanging in bedroom, blue rug in breezeway with light yellow chairs, masterbath sage green/grey tiles.

Comments (14)

• decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

What's the budget for the rug and do you have any floor outlets for some lighting? I'd suggest you pull all the seating within 18" of the coffee table so it will be useful for putting things down.

mihimalict thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Maureen
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

How about the couch where the single chair is and bring in closer to coffee table (and flip table's direction). Place chair/ottoman next to fireplace but on an angle and it will help balance furniture under window on other side of fireplace and also be a great spot to look out. Add a table and a lamp and it will be a great place to read. Even though it's a minimalist look you are after, the large wall is crying (in my mind) for a beautiful piece of art - could really see Native Indian piece there such as below (click on picture to view). It has two common themes - the sun and the lines that connect the sky to earth and after reading up on their symbolism, you may be happy to add this type of art - has good reflections on life. A natural fiber rug would be lovely in your room as well.

Natural Fiber Natural Fiber Area Rug, Rectangle, Black, 5'3"x7'5" · More Info

mihimalict thanked Maureen
  • mihimalict
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow! that is a really neat piece of art. And the colors would be great. Can you tell me more about it, including the size. Think the room needs a really large piece because of its size. Spouse--87yrs--likes the chair/ottoman placed so he can watch TV, so that might be a problem. Also, more info on rug. thanks for suggestions,

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

This layout or flipped. The loveseat should not be across from the sofa but at 90 degree angles. I would consider a bone white shag rug for the area so it doesn't compete with the coffee table.

mihimalict thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • mihimalict
    Original Author
    8 years ago

decoenthusiaste, not sure how this system works, in response to your question--don't have a budget for rug, as I'm looking for something unique. No floor outlets.

• mihimalict
    Original Author
    8 years ago

BeverlyFLADeziner, I have considered a white area rug. Haven't found one that works so far.

• teamaltese
    8 years ago
    Wow, amazing space! Can the TV be moved to the wall nearest the love seat? I think it's too high over the fireplace, and will over time cause neck strain if he watches from the chair. That way, the sofa and chair can be swapped. Do you need the love seat there? You have enough space to move the love seat to the window where the large plant is, with a light, and small table, it can be a reading nook.
    mihimalict thanked teamaltese
  • Vicki B
    8 years ago

Is the diagonal strip of wood flooring just decorative or is that a long step down to a "sunken" living room?

I'm thinking that, if the couch will fit where the chair is, move the couch there and then "L" the love seat with it, pulling the coffee table appropriately for the "L" seating arrangement. Place the chair and ottoman where the love seat, perhaps angling them toward the corner of the "L." (You may prefer them at straight; whatever feels best to you!)

[If the couch is too long for that area, switch the couch and loveseat in creating an "L" in that space.]

I realize, though you have asked for suggestions, my layout may be terribly wrong for you ... or for the white bear that has messed with the remotes and the brown pillow and has now moved out of the eye of the camera lens. (I am confident that no bears were harmed in the filming of this beautiful living area!)

Your coffee table and views are stunning! :)

• Maureen
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The art was an image on Google so not sure, but I found a gallery (link below) The artist could be Isaac Bigwell, as the one they show is very similar. If you search Prints/Woodland - there are lots to view. Dimensions/price are indicated and they ship. Woud you husband be ok with single chair moved, if he got the ottoman in front of couch? Talk to him about the reading/window advantage - lol. In regards to the rug, it comes in three different sizes (link below), but if you search Houzz shop for natural fiber rugs, you may see a lot more. I was going to suggest white, but it might be a pain to keep clean and white eventually can turn a touch yellow.

https://www.bayofspirits.com/category-content.php?category=Paintings

[https://www.houzz.com/products/natural-fiber-natural-fiber-area-rug-rectangle-black-53x75-prvw-vr~38043332[(https://www.houzz.com/products/natural-fiber-natural-fiber-area-rug-rectangle-black-53x75-prvw-vr~38043332)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

mihimalict a custom sized shag rug can be cut from broadloom carpeting if required.

• mihimalict
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the great feedback. I will try the various arrangements suggested. I can't move the TV as it's wired in. Also, it's inline with the dining room, and I like watching it when I using the table for mundane tasks--no family room. There is room for the sofa to be moved to replace the arm chair, so I can just do a circle switch, moving each item counter-clockwise to see how it works. It is a sunken living room--two steps down. I have tried fanning the love seat and sofa--so that they follow the angles of the room--with the arm chair as the anchor. It looks more open, but it's a conversation killer.

• PRO
    Galilee Lighting
    8 years ago

What a beautiful space! I found myself imagining a long multi pendant chandelier in the seating area.... In such a high ceiling it will look amazing!

CUSTOM LIGHTING FOR TWO STORY GREAT ROOM, RAIN DROPS CHANDELIER by GALILEE LIGHT · More Info

White candles elegant white contemporary chandelier by Galilee lighting · More Info

TWO STORY CHANDELIER IN HIGH CEILING ROOM | TWO STORY MULTI PENDANT CHANDELIER · More Info

• mihimalict
    Original Author
    8 years ago

thanks for the suggestion. those are beautiful.