Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evilfij

Stainless steel kitchen sink with space for a dishwasher under it to m

evilfij
8 years ago
I am looking for a, preferable antique but at least antique looking, stainless steel sink to match the one pictured (the one pictured is in my butler's pantry and is 6'6" long). Ideally it would be between 6' and 9' long and would have 24in for a dishwasher on one side. I could have the bowl or bowls in the center or on the right (as you are facing the sink). I missed out on a vintage one which would have been perfect. Looking at my options, while freestanding would be ideal as that was what was in my kitchen, one that sits on top of cabinets is probably best -- sort of an integral sink and countertop so the dishwasher does not make it look lopsided.

HELP!

Comments (46)

• evilfij
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    match the existing is the rest of the post. Forgive the mess, my kitchen is torn apart for the foreseeable future.
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

Check for commercial suppliers for Stainless Sinks.

• lucidos
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Evil? Not cast iron? Or perhaps move that one to the kitchen? Some nice ones on Ebay and you may have an architectural salvage in the area.

And http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Industrial-Stainless-Steel-Sink-Restaurant-Kitchen-66-3283-14-/201097975946

• evilfij
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I have seen the new ones like that linked above and they look wrong, are thin gauge stainless, and probably crap. Most importantly, they lack the space for the dishwasher on the side. I mean maybe there is space, but it would require fabrication to frame it in. I have never welded stainless so I am not sure that is an option.

The kitchen had a stainless sink (maybe German silver but I am fairly confident it is stainless) originally to match the one pictured in the kitchen but it was only 6' and single bowl (plans show the sink and the plumbing is still in the wall) so cast iron as lovely as it looks would be wrong.
  • lucidos
    8 years ago

Contact a fabricator you can probably have the counter portion done to spec and drop a 15/16 gauge in. http://www.homeportfolio.com/catalog/Product.jhtml?prodId=123050

These guys do 14....

• evilfij
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    There is a place I found that does 12 gauge, but getting the curved sink bowls etc. is not possible. The Elkay D8434 is an option. Looks too new but better than nothing. $2k for it plus cabinets.
  • auntqueenie
    8 years ago

It looks like a commercial grade/size sink to me. You could check with venders that service restaurants.

• lucidos
    8 years ago

I hope you were born wealthy :) Or made a mad killing in the market or won the lottery. This house is gonna cost big money but what a wonderful labor of love and artistic devotion!

Note: The Elkay is 18 gauge.

• lucidos
    8 years ago

Yeah ...13K for my roof...I have a love hate relationship with my old home:) I do get you. They couldn't salvage the old floors? Pity...

But yes when you are looking for a particular special item sometimes tossing in an "It'lldo" isn't really a bad thing. It gets you functional and you can hate it every second of it's existence in your plan. I prefer having a placeholder object for something that is functionally required that is butt ugly so it doesn't take root.

Oh...look...http://www.eaglegrp.com/SubCatDisplay.asp?numDivId=1&MinCatID=151

Note: One does not need a kitchen if one only "cooks" potato chips.

• evilfij
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The original floor was asbestos tile over 1/2in pine. The pine was completely trashed by the nails from the two layers of linoleum where they hammered in rather than pull the roofing nails used to install and the radiator leak where it was ripped up and patched with plywood (note I am patching the subfloor under that was poorly repaired with planed down tongue and grove pine as original). On top of the 1/2in pine was 3/4in red oak which actually would have been ok but for the fact it did not run under the island or cabinets and was on top of the pine and in an odd pattern around the tile hearth which itself was covered with parkay which was coming off.

Long way of saying no, could not be saved. So I am having the pegged random width quarter and riff sawn white oak of the living room replicated.
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

Hi Evil, never heard back, do i still get to come see the place?

Ok, so do you want 12, 14, or 16 gauge? and the 6 foot includes the drainer, right? or the cabinet must be 6? I used to have a free standing 6 foot, single bowl, but ceramic. Let me know, I will keep my eyes peeled.

• evilfij
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Havingfun. I have no way to contact you! You said email but I don't have one for you. You are of course still welcome to stop by. Anytime in October after the 2nd should work but the kitchen will still be torn apart then. I am shooting for three months for the kitchen so thanksgiving hopefully "done."
  • evilfij
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    6ft total length or greater. Thanks for all the help!
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

i meant message me on houzz, cause your message is not on. I don't think I should put my email out for all 35 million of us, do you? it is a big trip for me, so i don't want to come and you are not there, ya know?

Anyway, good on you letting the year book do a piece on the beauty. Do you have a name for her by the way, or is it a him? I know there is an official title, but surely sometimes you talk to the house and it must have a name? Could come cook for you Thanksgiving if you like, if there is anything left of you? I mean potato chips really? Who is going to take of her if you go? You have a responsibility you know.

So what gauge are you looking for on the sink? I read over the thread 3 times and don't see it. and 6 foot includes the drainer part, right?

• evilfij
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    How do I send a message on houzz?

Any gauge will work, thicker is better. If it is just a countertop unit, 16 or 18 would actually be ok I guess.

6ft or more including the drainboard part.
  • janedoe2012
    8 years ago

I have looked for the same thing. I don't think a new or salvaged stainless is going to have the look you want. If you can spent a fortune try the German Silver Sink Company. Their website says they do custom work.

• lucidos
    8 years ago

That will be a pretty sexy kitchen floor. Was that the original call out for the kitchen? Actually I'm surprised you aren't doing sawdust and dirt with a smattering of hay for texture (a jest). Perhaps a more quintescent nod would be the black and white harlequin - what guided you against that path?

Oh and to private message someone you add them as a follower and they you. That allows you to message each other off your "Your Houzz".

• evilfij
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Kitchen just said "wood floor plaster walls and ceiling." I assume it was speced as 3/4in x 2 1/4in wide pine like the other servants area and then before it was built it changed to 4in wide half inch thick pine with the asbestos tile on top of Masonite on top of the pine (original pine had never been finished) which had been there since the 30s so I assume was original. The previous owner installed the 3/4in x 2 1/4in red oak in the kitchen, servants hall and butler's pantry. The servants hall was done right and laid directly on the subfloor (had to be since they ripped out the tile floor in the slop sink closet) so it can stay. But in the kitchen and bulter's pantry and kitchen it was laid on top of the pine. It looks ok in the butler's pantry with the reducers to the other rooms so it stays for now, but the kitchen it was untenable for the reasons I described above.

I went with the pegged random width because I love it even if it is not exactly what would have been there and I think people appreciate nice floor in a kitchen. It could have been original at least.

So, servants hall is being refinished to match the new kitchen floor, and butler's pantry floor stays for now.

OCD is a terrible and wonderful disease.
  • lucidos
    8 years ago

In that case I'll loan you my dice.

Without a doubt it will look amazing.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

yeah evil, it is as i thought, your message is off, it does not matter if you follow me or not. you just have to message me, cause yours is off. then i can reply to your message, ok? Did you get that Lucida? being followed apparently does not matter it is just if you have message on or not. Always something new.

• lucidos
    8 years ago

I thinks it's both - or it used to be - or there is a thing to only get messages from friends. Hope you can connect! He sure could use something more substantial then chips for dinner!!

• havingfun
    8 years ago

you are not kidding!

• havingfun
    8 years ago

Hi evil! I presume you are in the midst of your big reunion party right now. My hopes are that it is going great and you are enjoying the heck out of it. At the same time, that you are over worrying about potential damage to the house. Don't worry she is very very sturdy. Tell them, us Houzzers insist they feed you more!

I do not know if you have seen it, but a man who started 30 years ago, independently renovated one of the largest craftsmans in the world in the hollywood hills has been trying to sell it. Quite amazing, and he like you started in his 30s. Home is from 1913 I think. Over 13000 sq feet.

I was wondering if Hubby could bring me up on Saturday, 10/17/2015. Would that be good for you? you do not know how I have looked forward to this.

Don't worry, I am still looking for a stove or a sink.

Take care, and remember, have fun!

• terry toon
    8 years ago
    What the HECK is all over that sink.
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

looks like scrubbing powder?

• lucidos
    8 years ago

It's the potato flour left over from Evil trying to make his own chips.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

well at least it would healthier than that bagged stuff!

• evilfij
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Yes, it is cleaning powder. There are some stains in the bowls that will need to be sanded and polished that did not come out, but as it is my only functional sink I am waiting until the kitchen is done to undertake that task.

Havingfun that date works well. I look forward to it. Unfortunately you will only be able to see the first floor because of the stairs but it should be fun. I still can't get my messages to work though, I will try again this week.
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

you can go in mine and click on message to get to me just click on my name above. You have your message turned off, I can teach you how to turn it on, but i figure unless you want to hear from everyone, you must have turned off for a reason?

Oh, I know I can not go upstairs. If wishes were clouds, i could surely float up. tehehe But just going there will be incredible and well worth it. talk soon.

• jatstuff1
    8 years ago

Have you tried "BarKeepers Friend" on those stains. The greatest cleanser on earth. Non abrasive. Good for so many different things, Check it out. You'll love it. And remember, let the product do it's work. Meaning, let it sit for a minute!

• jatstuff1
    8 years ago

Depending on temp and amount of water used with BFF, it can be a paint stripper, a laundry whitener, a shower glass door cleaner, copper bottom pan cleaner, and on and on.

• evilfij
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    So the sink might not be stainless. It might be monel (copper/nickel alloy). How can I tell for sure? Oh, and it was made by Zahner which is now famous for architectural metal exteriors. Google reveals no other sinks like it let alone any made by Zahner, but I did find a reference to the fact they used to make commercial kitchen tables.

Figures. Everything in this house is top of the line and mega-rare and/or mega-bucks to find/fix/replace.
  • terry toon
    8 years ago
    Nothing wrong with top of the line! Probably will last forever. Looks too shiny to be Monel. Have you tried a stainless cleaner like you get at Home Depot to clean those hard water stains? Or maybe go on Amazon and check out ratings for cleaners. Or try white vinegar first, but it never works for me
  • evilfij
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Lucidos, thank you. That is also my shower doors, right down to the patent date which is across the inside bottom on them.
  • evilfij
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    So I have a Zanher 460, I am guessing based on the advert it is 99% nickel.
  • lucidos
    8 years ago

Wad up some aluminum foil and fill the sink with hot water then add salt. Once you get it clean you should be using mineral oil applied with a microfiber after each heavy use. The mineral oil will create a barrier and keep it looking smexie it's also food safe and won't hurt your potato chips.

By the by. I found the link in Googles book option. What you do is click the more option in Google then select book for things like this Zahner search.

• PRO
    Grampa's Antique Kitchen
    8 years ago

Okay, so I received your email and will respond to it on my email. I always double check the source which is why I am here on Houzz now. One comment I picked up on that I feel compelled to address. The mention of 12 gauge SS. I am a retired Tool & Die machinist and Manufacturing Supervisor with a lot of experience with Stainless Steel.

I don't think you want to deal 12 G Stainless on a custom made sink. That is very thick and very tough to work with for a custom application. I do have some industrial or restaurant type SS sinks and I have a few German Silver sinks. I know the importance of having what you want in a vintage kitchen, even when its not the most practical. I hope I can help you. Its always best to call me as I am seldom on Houzz and may miss your questions. Ken

• PRO
    Grampa's Antique Kitchen
    8 years ago

By the way, in response to a couple of other comments I read. Monel can be polished to be very shiny or high gloss and is basically a type of SS.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

Well thanks grampas! When i was a little one, went to a nursery, they had a sink just like your industrial one - pretty sure. I was like 2 or 3 and i always got confused if there were 3 or 4 sinks. Course i could not see inside which might have helped. lol

• evilfij
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Monel is not a type of stainless steel though it may look similar. Monel is nickel and copper and stainless steel is steel and chromium.

Thanks for sending the pics of sinks. Lots to think about.
  • lucidos
    7 years ago

Where are you on this wonderful project?