wnelms

How to best deal with prominent railings in split level home

wnelms
September 16, 2015

Our front to back split level home has prominent dark colored railings with candle stick style balustrades which obstruct sight lines between rooms/floors. I am considering replacing them with a glass railing system or perhaps preserving the existing top rails and end posts and just replacing the candle stick style spindle sections with sheets of tempered glass. This would be part of a full kitchen remodel with new white kitchen cabinets, granite, stainless steel appliances, etc and hardwood flooring to match adjacent upscale sun room addition with the new flooring continuing to front entryway. As the flooring is being done I am told it is time to replace the railings and change the steps from carpeted to full tread hardwood. Attached some pictures of current pre-remodel situation. I would appreciate designer impressions of whether change to glass railings would work for this space. An alternative idea has been to just paint the spindles white. That would look less dark, be more classic, but would still be prominent and block views. What do you think. Appreciate ideas and feedback. Thanks. (Re-posting as the photos didn't come through the first time).