Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tck_jak39

Electrical Outlet In Island - County Codes

Homeowner
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Can someone explain as to why an electrical outlet must be located in island. And, if so, why can't it be located under a 12" overhang at the very end of the island?

We have a beautiful piece of furniture, and we do not want to see an ugly outlet in our island. We requested to place the outlet at the very edge of the island as possible so that we can place it on the side where the overhang is. We were advised that code requires that the outlet can not be located under an overhang whatsoever, and we need to place it on opposite side where our formal dining room table will be exposed.

We live in New Castle County, Delaware. Can someone explain what the reasoning is other than someone making up another code and requirement?

Any suggestions as to where we can place this outlet so it's not seen?

Comments (37)

• shivece
    8 years ago
    We have electrical outlets under the overhang of our new island in NH. I would love to know precisely what the issue is and if it is a Delaware specific requirement or maybe an overzealous code interpretation? It is hard to imagine why an outlet under the overhang is worse than all the other places they can be located.
    Homeowner thanked shivece
  • suzyq53
    8 years ago

Same situation in San Diego. By code we need three outlets in our island, including one on the front that faces the hall and family room. They say you need them so many inches from each sink. There are two sinks in the island. On the exterior walls there are 12 other outlets. The idea is that they don't want you to use an extension cord. That makes sense in a smaller kitchen that doesn't have all the other extra outlets, but in a large kitchen putting that many on the island is overkill. We have installed only one outlet on the back of the island for now. The final inspection is next week. I'm hoping the inspector will be lenient. Otherwise we will have to install 2 more outlets and there really isn't a space for them. Fingers crossed.

Homeowner thanked suzyq53
  • GreenDesigns
    8 years ago

It's required by the National Electrical Code, which all 50 states have adopted. It is to keep homeowners from stringing extension cords across aisles when using a blender or crockpot or electric can opener. Small appliances have short cords and could not reach a plug under a 12" overhang unless dangerously close to the edge, ready to topple off that crockpot of pumpkin spice latte onto your dog. Islands should always be designed with the building codes in mind from the beginning rather than as a reaction after they are completed and red tagged.

Homeowner thanked GreenDesigns
  • Homeowner
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the code requirements. Any idea when this took place?

• Homeowner
    Original Author
    8 years ago

suzyq53, love to hear back. Our electrician is holding off on this one outlet to see if the inspector will allow to place on the inside at edge instead, but will see. If not, unfortunately we will need to cut an ugly hole in our furniture on dining room table side. One thought is if that is the way we need to go, perhaps a pop out outlet would work best.

GreenDesigns / GN Builders L.L.C: Do you see a pop out outlet presenting a problem? We need solid black. The only color that would possibly be close is magnesium...http://www.lumens.com/pop-out-outlet-1-gang-by-legrand-adorne-uu507649.html#cgid=9148&&tileIndex=2 Thanks.

• GreenDesigns
    8 years ago

That has been code for over 20 years. The pictured outlet would not work with my inspectors as it is not tamper resistant, which is another code requirement. As is GFI protection.

Homeowner thanked GreenDesigns
  • Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

my island installed last year does have an outlet under the overhang. i was expecting it to be on the end but it would have conflicted with a drawer and then a corbel so the electrician gave it the ole' college try and put it beyond the (small) corbel and the inspector gave it a pass.

i would have perferred on the end, functionally, as things plugged in don't have to sit so close to the end, as mentioned above. but i was short of drawers already, glad i didnt have to lose depth in that one.

lesson: if you have a well known electrician that doesnt try to get away with silly stuff very often will sometimes be able to get away with silly stuff.

Homeowner thanked Judy Mishkin
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    8 years ago

There is a fairly new product call sillites that are intended for receptacles in window sills. The product they have (original SCR) has been used by some cabinet companies here in islands and has been recommended by our lighting supplier as an alternative for an island receptacle. They would be very small and also come in dark colors. We have not tried one in an island (we have used them on a fireplace mantel) so we don't know yet how inspectors are going to react. I would assume the places where local cabinet companies are using them would be undergoing inspection - but don't know that for sure.

Homeowner thanked Brickwood Builders, Inc.
  • User
    8 years ago

The pop-up don't pass code as the "required" receptacle because they are cord and plug connected and only listed for non-permanent installations.

The sillites would probably work, but they cannot be in a face up position on the counter. They would be mounted in the side of the cabinet like any other receptacle, but smaller.

Homeowner thanked User
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    8 years ago

You are welcome. Hope it works out for you. It's always an issue for homeowners as receptacles are never inconspicuous.

Homeowner thanked Brickwood Builders, Inc.
  • User
    8 years ago

Those "inconspicuous" options often take up MUCH more interior room inside the island than traditional outlets. Beware of cutting off your nose to spite your face here.

A Pro designs this to all be functional from many aspects, including aisle clearances, countertop support, electrical outlets, landing zones, and materials properties. There are a LOT of code requirements for kitchens, not just electrical, and you need to be aware of them ALL if you are going to pass inspection now, and at resale.

Homeowner thanked User
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    8 years ago

You would want a duplex receptacle installed for your island, you be surprised how useful it is to have that so you can run multiple gadgets at the same time.

If you have drawers the receptacle still can be installed on the side of the island, electricians usually use shallow junction boxes with a Slim GFCI outlets if they faced with a restriction on the inside of the cabinet. It is also much easier to find a full size decorative cover plate for a standard junction box, and they come in almost any color to make an easy match.

Best of luck.

Homeowner thanked GN Builders L.L.C
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    Here's a picture Homeowner, have used sillites in the floor , hope this helps!
    Homeowner thanked lynartist
  • User
    8 years ago

210.52 (C)(5) Receptacle Outlet Location. Receptacle outlets shall be located above, but not more than 500 mm (20 in.) above, the countertop. Receptacle outlets rendered not readily accessible by appliances fastened in place, appliance garages, sinks, or rangetops as covered in 210.52(C)(1), Exception, or appliances occupying dedicated space shall not be considered as these required outlets.

Exception to (5): To comply with the conditions specified in (1) or (2), receptacle outlets shall be permitted to be mounted not more than 300 mm (12 in.) below the countertop. Receptacles mounted below a countertop in accordance with this exception shall not be located where the countertop extends more than 150 mm (6 in.) beyond its support base.

Although I do not know the exact configuration of your island, it is usually considered acceptable to go no more than 6" under an overhang like this.

Homeowner thanked User
  • Homeowner
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Fred S, the outlet was allowed to go in as specified in your diagram, and inspector approved.

Thank you again to everyone's guidance and help!

• deeblankenship
    7 years ago

What if I buy an island on line? Am I required to put in electrical outlet? I have had my island for about 40 years and got along just fine without one. I have my outlets on the wall above my countertop so that's where I use my small applicances.

• User
    7 years ago

"What if I buy an island on line?" - does that mean that it is portable furniture?

The IRC and NEC do not have any jurisdiction over furniture.

If the island cabinet is a permanent installation, then receptacles are required.

No, you can not just take a cabinet that is meant to be permanent and just not screw it to the floor to avoid a receptacle. The inspectors will go by the "If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck - it must be a duck" rule.

• Kathi Steele
    7 years ago

This is what we did in our island. Made by LeGrand....

kathi_steele's ideas · More Info

And from afar.

I hope these are okay with Fred. He is the expert. I rely on his judgment totally.

• Renee Texas
    7 years ago

I didnt' mind losing a drawer, and have a tip-out with my disposal and outlet behind it. Not sure if that's allowed where youare.

• T. J.
    7 years ago
    You do want an outlet on the island for functionality, but I didn't want it visible. I asked my GC to have it hidden on the underside.
  • User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

"and have a tip-out with my disposal and outlet behind it."

NEC 210.52 Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets.

This section provides requirements for 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacle outlets. Receptacle outlets required by this section shall be IN ADDITION to any receptacle that is part of a luminaire (lighting fixture) or appliance, located WITHIN CABINETS or cupboards, or located more than 1.7 m (5½ ft) above the floor.

In addition to 210.52, 210.52(C)(5) ALSO APPLIES.

Nec 210.52(C)(5) Receptacle Outlet Location.

Receptacle outlets shall be located on or above, but not more than 500 mm (20 in.) above, the countertop. Receptacle outlet assemblies listed for the application shall be permitted to be installed in countertops. Receptacle outlets RENDERED NOT READILY ACCESSIBLE by appliances fastened in place, appliance garages, sinks, or rangetops as covered in 210.52(C)(1), Exception, or appliances occupying dedicated space shall not be considered as these required outlets.

• perion
    5 years ago

Sigh ... doing my homework a little late. Our island cabinetry is in the process of being installed and I'm trying to figure out where to put an outlet. The island (9' long) will have waterfall edges. On the side facing away from the kitchen will be a 14" overhang. There will be no appliances or sink in/on the island. Will it meet code to have an outlet on the vertical cabinetry under the over hang?

Any help cheating on my homework is appreciated!

p.s., I've attached a photo from Houzz that gives a general idea of the type of island we'll have.

Beach Style Kitchen · More Info

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    5 years ago

It will not, you need to cut an outlet into the side, which is not a big deal, have your electrician put an outlet and the stone guys will cut the hole on site.

• perion
    5 years ago

Not the answer I was hoping for, but better to have it done correctly.

And thank you for taking the time to respond, I appreciate it!

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    5 years ago
    Add a 3” filler to both ends of the cabinet run and add your outlets here, flush with the face of the cabinet boxes.
  • perion
    5 years ago

Thank you, that's a truly great idea. Unfortunately, it's too late ... I really did wait too long before seeking a solution.

• suzyq53
    5 years ago

Don't panic yet. You may not need an outlet on the island if there is no sink or appliances. It will really depend on the inspector. They are sometimes more lenient with larger kitchens that have numerous perimeter outlets.

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The NEC requires an outlet on all islands. Regardless if it contains a sink or appliances or just cabinets. Outlets are always required on islands.

NEC stands for National Electrical Code. It covers the entire country as a minimum standard. Local codes can have additional more strict requirements. But they can not be more lenient.

This is something that will come up at any resale inspection that would need to be remedied if not done, or done incorrectly.

This is something thst should also have have been discussed with you by your Kitchen Designer. It should have been designed into the island from the beininming, not be an afterthought. For waterfall islands, I will frequently use a 9” cabinet for cookie sheets in the bottom, and the top false drawer becomes the location for an outlet.

• suzyq53
    5 years ago

You are right about the code. But per code my island would have required 3 outlets. The inspector however was fine with one since there are 7 other outlets on the perimeter walls. My experience is that there is some leeway. In another remodel, where electric to a new island would have required trenching through the cement foundation, they waived it too. The code is to discourage the use of extension cords, which makes sense, but some inspectors have a more common sense approach. IME

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    5 years ago

• Edie lenee
    3 years ago

Nd a house that was purchased in the final year, torn down and then sold as a spec new creation. This will provide you with a ballpark. There are no empty/uncooked lots in this place (yes, there are a few here and there) so maximum new production includes tearing down an vintage residence and the greater costs associated with that

• Roger Golladay
    2 years ago

ok Have them place it on the end in the middle and hang a picture there..

• PRO
    Kuche+Cucina
    2 years ago

Use Trufig outlets Trufig

• Cristina Becerra
    last year
    last modified: last year

I am in the process of getting my home built in Florida. I requested a waterfall on the island, and I have just been told that they will need to add outlets on either side of the island (shown in green in the picture below). I requested they be placed under the overhang (instead of shown in orange). Is there any way we can do that instead of having to cut into my beautiful stone? Can you please provide the code requirements and if there are any other options?

Thank you so much!

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    last year

The code is as already stated by others in this thread. We have been able to pass inspection by taking a drawer out and making the drawer front a flip down. The receptacle is in a fixed location at the front. (See attached photo) On the larger island, we put a plug mold on either end of the overhang of the island - but it is oriented back to front at the very top of the wooden section. This way we meet the requirements. Having said this, you could just as easily fail inspection for either of these depending upon the local inspection department.

• PRO
    Frank and Frank
    last year
    last modified: last year

That is a big reg tag no go from any inspector. And a big red flag for your kitchen designer. You really should investigate the other things they have gotten wrong. Like appliance clearances and fire code clearances.