0
lovlyspirit

Countertops

lovlyspirit
I love your kitchen. It's breathtaking. Could you please share the type/ color countertops used? Thank you.
Classical Kitchen · More Info

• subeeskitchen
    Island is honed Calcutta Gold marble and perimeters are honed pietra cardoza.
  • sbriglio
    is pietra cardoza a granite also, how is the honed for kids do u see stains
  • subeeskitchen
    Pietra isn't a granite -- it's softer. (But it's still a rock.) No stains. I think honed is easier to maintain, because fingerprints and acid etchings (a risk w/marble) don't show up as easily.
  • sbriglio
    is it on the greay side like balck absoulte honed turns out
  • subeeskitchen
    There is a lot of variation in pietra -- some lots will be solid and dark gray (and it gets darker after sealing), and some will be light gray with big white blobs/veins, and some will be like mine, which is dark and light gray streaked. I would make sure to personally select/approve the slabs and not just specify generic "Pietra".
  • sbriglio
    thank you love the kitchen
  • kmarsek
    You can avoid wine and food stains on honed marble by sealing it every so often.
  • Eleanore T
    Subee-what was your reasoning for pietra on perimeter versus marble like on the island? Is there a cost savings? Or was it for aesthetic reasons? Thanks.
  • subeeskitchen
    It was mostly for aesthetic reasons -- I wanted a darker stone to ground all the white in the space. I also wanted something darker next to the stovetop as an extra measure against staining. I looked for a natural stone with some "movement" to mimic the marble, and ended up going with the pietra. Considered soapstone but all the slabs I saw had too much of a greenish cast for my overall color scheme.
  • sbriglio
    Do u have a seam in the island with the marble
  • subeeskitchen
    No seam. You do not want a seam on an island! (especially with marble)
  • eleanorcurry

I have a seam in my island with carerra marble and am completely fine with it. It gave us an extra 18 inches of island length.