Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_4146480

My new cabin

User
11 years ago
The pictures are of the model before construction. The others are where I'm at so far. It was intended to be a contemporary version of the Craftsman style. My question is, do you like my exterior interpretation of the model?
Or did I miss the mark?
Like exterior?
Missed it?
Hate it?

Comments (138)

• Jay Van Daley
    11 years ago
    I'll definitely keep that in mind. I've only been in business for the past 6 months, and we are just beginning to build a little momentum. Mostly commercial and institutional work to this point, but I'm always on the lookout for avenues into the single family residential and condo markets. Especially the condo markets the way they are building them here right now. Looks like early 2000's Florida!
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    @Aja...sorry for your crappy weather & your poor Mom! How did someone manage to get into the pool with a vacuum? I assume they are still alive?
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    Yes, unfortunately.

The Quiet Man

"Here is a nice stick to beat the lovely lady with..."

• PRO
    Interiors International, Inc.
    11 years ago
    @Aja and Jayme LOL! You two are funny, I think I love you.
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Like the pool scene in "Sunset Boulevard"...but instead of William Holden floating face down...it was a Hoover...
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    No paddy fingers!
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    With a cleaning lady still attached to it
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    Well, I can't say it's true, and I won't say it's not, but there's been talk.
  • PRO
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    Well, I've wrestled with reality for 25 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    I have found the perfect rug for your cabin.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    @Aja Mazin It will fit the powder room perfectly for size just not color or style. lol
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Just so you know, the "custom built home" is a creation of the imagination of Frank Bright, Houzz's resident punkster.

The picture on the wall is a dead giveaway!

I suspect aclark 900 to soon report she is the victim of radon poisoning.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    @Fedor Construction Specialties, Inc, Maybe I should fly in and help break into that market. I did well in FL in the 2000's. ;-)
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    @Aja Mazin I am missing something here. What and who are "aclark 900 and Frank Bright"?
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    Ha! I think this rug is too small!
    It's a 5x8...but it looks too small! What are your recommendations?

>Interiors International, Inc.
    ''Seriously? Of course it is too small. Put it somewhere else. You need to find a bigger one for that room.''
    5 days ago · like · 10

>aclark900
    ''Hey Interiors International!! Yes, I'm being serious. Why do you think I asked the freakin question. JERK.''

[I, then come under attack, despite not commenting, other to ask if the rug shrunk.]

The thread ends with zenhome's final comment.-

>zenhome
    ''Unbelievable how a so called professional "Interiors International" would respond in such a rude and unprofessional manner. Comments like this DO get noticed.

Fortunately we have designers such as Susan Mills who respond because they take a genuine interest in helping people and are passionate about design. Kudos to you!''

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/ha-i-think-this-rug-is-too-small-dsvw-vd~342146

Frank Bright is the puppetmaster for a bunch of socks!
  • PRO
    User
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @Aja Mazin Thank you so much for bring this to my attention. I can't believe such anger over my simple post that the rug was too small. What's up with that? I honestly thought she was making a funny post She did start it with the word "HA!". It wouldn't be the first person that tried to have a bit of fun on this site. Damn, people a touchy.
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    @Interiors...Probably not about U, or the question...possibly misdirected...
  • PRO
    User
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @Jayme Hobbs Oh no it was definitely meant at me they used my name. I'm quite shocked I think I am a kind person at least I try to be.
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    Interiors International, greetings to a fellow Minnesotan. I love the green and russet colors you have chosen (perfect with the fall foliage) but prefer the traditional horizontal siding...especially for the conservative Midwest. The random paneled effect makes the exterior look unfinished.
  • carolannr
    11 years ago
    OMG, there are some "snarky" posters on Houzz! Its worse than political season on Facebook! Sometimes I just have to backspace everything I wrote when I see some of the situations on here, you just have to chuckle at the ridiculous. But then, there was always be someone who just has no control when it comes to criticizing someone else's post. Take heart tho you guys, they probably are that way with everybody. I don't think you should take it seriously.
  • PRO
    User
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @michigammemom, here I thought you were from MI. I spend a lot of time there also. Yeah, the random panels are definitely not conservative MN. but I guess that was the architects objective. It is really the only contemporary exterior part he designed that we used. The original design was all that siding plus a roof that was floating on a glass wall. The panels actually do look better in person than they do in the pictures. Although they are an acquired taste. lol.
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    Triple I, born and raised on the Iron Range and now a resident of MI. I appreciate innovation and love the way the horizontal siding was paired with single color panels in this application.
    Olympic View House · More Info
  • PRO
    User
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes, I do like that but have seen it everywhere. You need to realize that I'm a bit out there when it comes to personality. I like being called "weird" I take it as a compliment. I do appreciate all the opinions given here. It will help if I ever decide to sell. I know that it really is a "me" statement. The next one I build might be in Traverse City. I already own the land. I bet it will be a bit odd also , ;-)
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    @Interiors..what I was getting at was that sometimes a strong reaction is an actual transference issue...originating from some other issue in that person's life. Anyhow, you're not so weird, u are individual and likeable.
  • PRO
    User
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks Jayme! I like you a lot too!
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    Interiors International, Inc.,

Two possibilities come to mind:

1,] You were an innocent victim who just happened to be the 1st to respond;

2.] Envy and jealously that some harbor of those that are successful and skilled.

This poster is interesting because of her unique personal narrative:

She has a husband, 2 young children and previously owned a small 3 bedroom, 1 bath home.

She and her husband closed on a "custom built" 4,000 sq ft home with 6 bathrooms after doing the final walk thru inspection, only to discover 9 days later that their new home had 35 problems that they had failed to note.

Apparently, the home was in danger of imminent collapse, yet our spunky homeowner bravely continued to solicit decorating advice and purchase furniture for the living room.

While 6 bathrooms might seem excessive for 4 people in a 4,000 sq ft home, it seems to me just about right in this instance.
  • PRO
    Linda
    11 years ago
    AJA, thank you for connecting these two discussions. I had read both separately but it didn't hit me that this post refers to the same poster who has numerous issues...

Obviously (or is it seriously?) I'm not referring to Interiors International
  • zenhome
    11 years ago
    Sometimes people just need to move on Aja. I am sure the poster with numerous dilemmas in her new home will not be posting on Houzz anymore with the lack of empathy shown from people like you.
  • PRO
    User
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @Aja Mazin 1st, Please call me Johnathan you are my friend now after all. 2nd, Is she having that many problems? I feel so bad for her. Although I do think it a bit odd that the rug would be a priority if the house is in such bad shape. I wish she would actually ask me about the real problems. I have extensive construction knowledge and experience. I also am good at dealing with builders who do not hold up their end of the contract agreement.
    Thank you so much for defending me. You know I haven't a malicious bone in me.
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    Linda,

Thank you for solving the mystery.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/olld-2-12-dsvw-vd~347821

Here we find some very narrow minded , cruel people who apparently have nothing better to do with their time than gossip and complain.

In fact, several have been banned from Houzz and now appear as "incarnates."

Houzz is an international site.

The US dollar is artificially supported.

GDP - real growth rate:- has plummeted to 2.2% (2012 est.) and we rank 138th in
    country comparison to the world.

Our GDP - per capita (PPP): is 12th.

Our unemployment rate ranks a dismal 98th in country comparison to the world.

Our population has never been less educated or less skilled since the end of WWII.

Perhaps, the xenophobes, bigots, and "elitists" can find someone from India or China
    to explain what this means.

SOURCE: CIA Factbook.
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    This general contractor is bad news....I sincerely believe there has to be recourse here. I do know state laws vary etc...Does anyone know what state the home in question is located? Additionally....there HAS to be other people similarly affected by this shoddy work & this contractor.....Sharks can spot defenseless victims from miles away...I think there is a tiger shark involved. Interestingly, I have not seen much feedback on any steps being pursued to remedy any of this...??? (owners)...but maybe I have missed the boat..no puns intended...shark and all..................
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    @Interiors...Do u know much about bamboo flooring? I am considering it for my entire main floor....Please help me with your expertise...I know u have an arsenal of it!!! Thanks friend!
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Now let's all just be thankful we are not on that cruise ship with no working toilets for the 5th or 6th day!!
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    zenhome,

How right you are!

"Sometimes people just need to move on"
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Do people seriously do things like that? I just cannot imagine. If it does exist...it is right up there with "The Money Pit"...(old movie)..Or "Mr. Blandings Dream Home".
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    Jayme,

Take a look at:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/olld-2-12-dsvw-vd~347821
    [that is my dear "friend" bobbiep.]

I love "Mr. Blandings Builds his Dream Home"

On this thread, it is finally admitted that the intent was to punk out Houzzers:
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/learning-that-pillows-make-the-roomonce-again-dsvw-vd~183178
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Aja...I got punked in the ER at work..I will have to tell u about it sometime! Oh yes, I saw the Frank Bright thing some time ago and was like...????
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    @Interiors & Aja....Happy Valentine's Day....(Bate's Motel)....Vacancies
  • PRO
    User
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @ Jayme Happy Valentines Day to you too! On the issue of Bamboo I do know quite a lot on the subject. We will have to talk tomorrow on that. ;-)
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    "In a sky full of people, only some want to fly,
    Isn't that crazy? "

• Susanna
    11 years ago
    Your only mistake on that post, International, was typing faster than I do. I don't think it was real. It was too much like the other one, where some lady asked what kind of potted plant was best to camouflage the major crack in the brick retaining wall. I hope you don't worry about it.
    Love your cabin! I wouldn't be too concerned about your neighbors. Sheep always get nervous.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    @Susanna Artistea, Thanks it's nice to hear that about both topics ;-)
  • Susanna
    11 years ago
    I just caught the photo of the exterior colors. Very cool. Like William Morris meets Mondrian
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Thanks, I'm glad you like it. I really do too.
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    nteriors International, Inc.

View the house featured on this thread and the video tour.
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/floating-dinning-room-idea-feedback-dsvw-vd~352386
    I would like your opinion.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    @Aja Mazin I think the interior is inspirational. I was a little disappointed in the exterior. I was hoping that it would be a bit more extraordinary instead of bordering on ordinary. What did you think?
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    I absolutely loved the interior.
    However, I would not want an exercise room.

I loved the cozy nooks tucked away!

I thought the kitchens were fantastic!

I think your railing would have been better on the deck!

How would you change the exterior?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    It is to pedestrian. It should have looked more like the interior. A contemporary rendition of that mountain look would have been more interesting.
  • ritting28
    7 years ago
    I prefer larger windows to the assorted small ones.