Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrealoren

Before and After pictures. Working on lamps and bed bench

Andrealoren13
8 years ago

Hi Everyone! I recently had a previous dilemma on August 19th 2015. Some of you were following But for some reason my images were coming in upside down. Still working on the room. But i just got in my bed chest and side table. Now, I am working on lamps and bed bench. Really liking it so far! :) My previous dilemma was called, "trying to decide on black or white nightstands HELP".

Will continue to post pictures as i continue working on the master suite.

BEFORE

AFTER

Comments (89)

• Lila
    8 years ago

You could do pendant lights over your tables. If they were hung at the same height the difference in table heights would be less noticeable. I personally don't think the different heights are a big deal anyway. It's easy to balance with different height accessories. The styles are very compatible and dressers are much more practical anyway. If you do pendants have a remote control wired. You can do this with a plug in as well.

Andrealoren13 thanked Lila
  • Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi @lila, thanks for your suggestion. :)
  • patrinkac
    8 years ago
    1. Sometimes matchey matchey is OK.
  • Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    8 years ago

hi @havingfun & everyone else! see below for the other lamps that are potential contenders: I am gravitating towards the lamp that has the dark lamp shade. All the other ones. looks pretty but i feel as if it will blend with the shutter and wont give the oomph that the room needs. let me know. :)

Osgar Lamp by uttermost

Cadeo Lamp by Uttermost

Horchow Harlequin Gourd Lamp

Horchow Cambridge Etched Lamp

• havingfun
    8 years ago

Gosh, I love every single one, but i agree, you have to have the black shade. otherwise you might be overwhited!

Andrealoren13 thanked havingfun
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

of course you do realize that you can change out the shade on all of them to make it a black one?

• Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@Lila, i might be adding something of height to compensate on the height of my table on the right. Thank you for that! :)

• Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Are you serious????? @havingfun!! OMG!!! :) that is great news. how do you know? :)

• Lila
    8 years ago

All the lamps are beautiful. Can't wait to see what you decide.

Andrealoren13 thanked Lila
  • TraceyE
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

What a beautiful range of lamps you've selected- looking forward to seeing which one makes the cut :) I do love the black shaded Cambridge lamp.

Andrealoren13 thanked TraceyE
  • Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lamps will arrive in the middle of October. :) yay!

• Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi @TraceyP, i love all of them, but somethings tells me the black shade should do the trick to the room. Need to work at the room little by little. :)

• havingfun
    8 years ago

Stylish Home Decor & Chic Furniture At Affordable Prices | Z Gallerie · More Info
    tehehe

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

I am coming to the party late, but I love the blue lamp on the white chest, and I love your table too, now you just need a lamp that is as tall as your headboard for the table and it will be perfect.

Mismatched nightstands and lamps! You go Girl! Note additional pictures that are mismatched too to balance the sides of the room. The black looks visually bigger than the white side so white side has more weighted pictures.

Villa Vera Renovation · More Info

• K 2
    8 years ago

Haven't read the string, apologize if this is redundant or off-topic.

Suggestion: Add some large black pillows between the headboard and your white pillow shams.

Traditional Bedroom · More Info

Modern City Dwelling · More Info

This pillow isn't pictured above, but love its texture:

Overall: 22" H x 22" W

The cover of this pillow is made from 100% polyester and it features a down feather filling . . . hidden zipper . . .

http://www.wayfair.com/Surya-Decorative-Pillow-BB037-1818P-YA19533.html?piid%5B0%5D=10748489

• K 2
    8 years ago

Wish I knew how to photo shop. ;-(

Have a few thoughts. Borrowing photos to illustrate. But couldn't find a cohesive shot that illustrated them combined.

* A rectangular ottoman (the width of the bed) located at the footboard that has a black frame.

(Click to expand image.)

Green Hills · More Info

• K 2
    8 years ago

Add either grey or black accent piece close to the foot of the bed.

• K 2
    8 years ago

Consider straight curtain panels on the wall-side of the shuttered windows.

Feature Homes · More Info

• K 2
    8 years ago

Love your idea of black lamp shades !!!

The Boulevard · More Info

Bedrooms · More Info

• K 2
    8 years ago

Small black lampshades are available. If you have a dressing table or dresser, you could add two tall lamps to carry the black to the other end of the room.

• K 2
    8 years ago

Love all four of the lamps that you posted. My favourite is Horchow Cambridge Etched Lamp . But, any one of them will be great !!!

• K 2
    8 years ago

If you wanted to add a small custom detail (and you or a friend sews), you could add some grosgrain ribbon on your large pillow shams.

Rehoboth Beach Custom Beach House · More Info

• Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi @ K2,
    Thank you for taking the time to post inspirations and sharing your ideas with me. I already placed my order for my lamps! It's one of the lamps I posted on my comment. :) right now I am working on three projects: re-upholstering my dining room chairs, painting an old bed chest that I've had for decades, last making a skirt! I love what I do! I can do this for hours. :) thank you once again. :)
  • Kristen P
    8 years ago

looks great - check out the selection of bedroom benches at Cost Plus World Market here:

they are having their Friends & Family Sale today and 25% off everything with code FNFWOW
    http://bit.ly/1NqhwIs

• ybxhctq
    8 years ago

Loved what you've done so far and look forward to seeing the
    updates. OAN, when posting seeking advice and/or suggestions, don't allow
    yourself to be very sensitive. I was going to ask you to consider changing the height of the smaller stand like the others, but after reading the first few posts, I was discouraged to do so because walking on eggshells is not my strong suit. I understand that a lot of time, effort, and
    energy went into your work, but when seeking opinions and advice, there will be
    some that you will agree with and others you can approach with the "eat
    the meat and spit out the bones" old adage. Remember that when you post your other design projects. Again, great job so far. I'd love retreating to this space.

• Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Yes I agree with you! @yby.. I am fairly new here at Houzz. For a while I was a bit discouraged about posting for suggestions about my projects. I started to realized that if I do post for suggestions then I should prepare myself for the "peanut gallery comments". I've learned to have thicker skin and not allow people comments bother me. :) thank you.
  • Kate
    8 years ago

I think the reason for posting is getting other ideas and some you might not of considered. If you are just looking for only positive feedback and confirmation then this isn't the right forum. My advice is to consider the source and what my dad told me "if you ask for an opinion be prepared for many different opinions".

• Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi @Kate, I am definitely looking for suggestions and for people to give me ideas. I am here to get input and not all input is going to be positive. I am okay with that. As long as I am happy with the end result.
  • Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    8 years ago
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

if i were you i'd go with the jelani's, because the balls, though different have been done to death. I will go back up to delete mine. let me know what you do.

• carlamcguire
    8 years ago
    It's coming out nice. The bed looks great! I do think the tables have to be the same height. It looks like it doesn't belong. Your eye goes right to it. I think you need big lights too
  • Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    HI @carlamcquire,
    I couldn't agree with you more regarding the table. /)
  • TraceyE
    8 years ago

Love the Jelani lamps :)

• Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi @carlamcquire, yes, the table to the right it throws it off. I might switch the table for a chest that I currently have or buy a stand than I can place underneath the lamp. I just purchased a horchow lamp but I feel that I need to go as tall as 28" tall. The one that I purchased is 25.5"tall. I looked at it and something looks off. So i am returning the lamps. You will see the lamps that I am referring about. It's on my comment thread in this dilemma. :)
  • Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi @traceyp,
    Can you please also make an image with the brass Jelani lamps? :) out of the the two colors which one will compliment the best? :) I need votes! That's my biggest dilemma at this point. I am set on the height. Just need guidance on the base finish. :)
  • TraceyE
    8 years ago

Hi Andrealoren13

happy too :) this is just for colour I haven't worried about size

• Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi @ Havingfun & TraceyP! My uttermost lamps arrived yesterday and they look stunning!!!!! They definitely hold statement and balance. I ended up returning the Horchow Cambridged Etched Lamp. It was to small. I went with the chrome color instead of the brass. Would have been to brassy. I should be receiving my bench. got an awesome deal for the bench!!! I have different bedding. Still white with texture. I am still trying to find some fun black pillows or some other color. My colors around the house are Turquoise and gold. It's hard to find a nice black and white pillow. eek.

• robin701
    8 years ago

Etsy has some nice black and white pillows:

Your room is coming along very nicely :)

• TraceyE
    8 years ago

How strange I only got your update today - thrilled you have 'the' lamps, excited to see your lastest updates really looking forward to the next picture :)

• Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi @TraceyP , here is my most recent look on my master suite. :) I ended up with the silver lamps. :) I am trying to find wall art for our master suite. Something that is romantic or art piece that has color. I am not sure why i gravitate towards cool colors. and Jewel colors. :) Just wanted to share with all of you my work. Still in the process of painting a chest that i have on my spare bedroom to go with my MS furniture.

• Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The bolster pillow cover. I made. It has the same design as the lamp base. Can't really quite tell the design on the bolster pillow in the picture, but it's pretty in close-up. I may need to get fabric that has a bigger or bolder pattern. hmm..

• Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    8 years ago

hi @K 2, see above recent picture i uploaded to my comment thread above. I was looking through you images and i might need to get fabric with large pattern. :)

• TraceyE
    8 years ago

Andrea, thank you updating me :) I love the silver lamps, they are even better than I imagined, they look like they have been 'framed,' by your shutters!

Your bolster is fab, I like it as it is and the bench just finishes things off nicely.

Minimalist · More Info

Art you looking for original Art? I have seen some really beautiful photography that may suit the serene feel if your room.

• Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    8 years ago

hi TraceyP, it doesn't have to be original art. I know that original art can be expensive. Where have you seeing the beautiful photography? :) so far i love the way it's coming along. I get this relaxed feeling in the room. I still plan on having a valance on each side where each lamp is located. :)

• TraceyE
    8 years ago

Hi Andrea, looks like my pic dropped off my post :)

Minimalist · More Info

Chris Zec does some amazing photos

• TraceyE
    8 years ago

Klimts, the kiss

• Andrealoren13
    Original Author
    8 years ago

hi TraceyP. I love Gustav Klimts work. That would look lovely on my bedroom wall. the colors are amazing!!!

• TraceyE
    8 years ago

Beautiful isn't it :)

• TraceyE
    8 years ago

Just saw this and wondered if you would like it :)

'An Evening Out Neutral' Canvas Art by Julia Purinton · More Info

• K 2
    8 years ago

Andrea, nice to see an update. Your room is lovely. Very tasteful.

At some point you might want to consider a pattern on the bolster, but personally I'd be inclined to work on the wall art and curtain panels before doubling-back to a piece that is already working.

Think you're doing a great job of pacing your project, receiving comments while not losing your vision and personality.

Love the romance in the Klimts and Purinton pieces. Especially nice images for your master bedroom.

- K

Andrealoren13 thanked K 2