Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjc48

October FOTESS Swap - Halloween Party!

sjc48
8 years ago

Good Morning, Everyone, and welcome to the FOTESS swap for October! We're having a Halloween Party this month and you are all cordially invited!

But first, FOTESS is a members only swap group, and if you would like to join, we would love to have you! Contact Jeanne/sandlapper_rose, or me, Shirley/sjc48 for details on how to join!

Secondly, I would like to thank Beth for hosting the September swap for us. She did a fantastic job of hosting and Jeanne and I both appreciate it greatly! AND, I'm going to use Beth's point system for this swap, I thought that was a great idea!

Okay, on to the party! This will be a very simple swap. If you join in the fun, you will be sending a Halloween card, homemade or otherwise, and 1-2 packs of seeds. The seeds can be Halloween themed, colors of orange or black, or seeds that can be Winter Sowed. Use your imagination! You could add a small "treat" if it fits in the envelope!

You will have to the end of the month to mail your card and seeds out. And Remember, just the card and seeds, no boxes or bubble envies. Our swaps are meant to be simple ones, so lets keep it that way!

Sign ups will be held until Saturday, October 10th and I'll assign partners on the 11th.

We'll be playing some party games too! The first one will be a "Guess What My Costume Is" game. After sign-ups, you will list 3-4 clues and then we'll all take turns guessing what your costume is! More details on that later, but you can be thinking about what you're going to dress up as! Just like when we were kids!

We're also going to Bob for Apples and play "Trick or Treat"! Should be fun, and I hope to see you all at the party!

Shirley!

Comments (419)

• canyonwind
    8 years ago

Shirley,

I emailed you my vote....

Annie

• amybabyboy3
    8 years ago

Darrin, Thank you for the cutest spider card! I love it and the great selection of seeds! I am so excited to get my garden started in the Spring and these seeds will be wonderful! Thank you again so much!!!! Amy

• sjc48
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi All, before I forget, here is an update on the swap, if I have missed anyone, please let me know!

Katie SENT to Darrin - REC'D

Darrin SENT to Amy - REC'D

Amy SENT to Jeanne - REC'D

Jeanne SENT to Tonya - REC'D

Tonya SENT to Margo

Margo SENT to Nicole - REC'D

Nicole SENT to Alana - is sending again, Thanks, Nicole!

Alana SENT to Annie - REC'D

Annie SENT to SJC - REC'D

SJC SENT to Shirley (BG) - REC'D

Shirley (BG) SENT to Erica - REC'D

Erica SENT to Beth - REC'D

Beth sends to Katie

Keep those BIS votes coming, folks, you have until 8 tonight!

There is a dark horse entry quickly creeping up on the front running entry, oh, how will this end?!

Back later,

Shirley!

• kchd
    8 years ago
    Shirley, the suspense is killing me!!
  • beth_b_kodiak
    8 years ago

I mailed to Katie... I think it was Saturday. Really expected them to arrive quickly since we are pretty close. ???? Mailed it first class.

• sjc48
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for posting, Beth, I've quit trying to figure the US postal system out. It takes 4 days for a letter/card to get back home to PA from Michigan. It takes 5-6 days coming the other way, minimum.

Did you vote for BIS? The pumpkin coloring pages? You have 64 minutes left to do so!

Shirley!

• poisondartfrog
    8 years ago

I sent my vote this morning Shirley. Hope you got it. My email can be fickle.

• smitties
    8 years ago

Good evening everyone. I just attempted to post my swap for November but it said I had too many characters. I had copied and pasted from my Microsoft word so hoping if I just type it word for word right on Houzz I will be able to get it posted. If not, I may be asking for your help Shirley so be ready. LOL

Everyone be sure to watch out for it and I hope you have a chance to join in. I know November is a busy month so I am keeping it simple for all. Margo

• smitties
    8 years ago

Yay, I was able to post our November swap so Shirley can relax. I won't have to ask her for help. I hope you can all join in on this simple swap. Margo

• sjc48
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Margo, the swap sounds great! Very nice idea! Check it out, FOTESSER's!

Alana, I did get your vote!

And, I'm sorry I'm late posting the Winner for the Pumpkin Coloring Contest - my oldest son called and since it's been a while since we talked, we had lots to discuss!

In any event, the Winner of the Pumpkin Coloring Contest is - TADA!! - Darrin!

Way to go, Darrin, your picture was quite pretty, a little different in a good way! Amy seemed to be coming up from behind, but in the end, you nailed it!

Congratulations, Darrin and many thanks to all who participated. I enjoyed this one, myself!

I'll be back tomorrow with a swap wrap-up and a list of the winners from all the games.

Now to go over to Margo's November swap and sign up!

Shirley!

• kchd
    8 years ago
    Beth... No worries! My little town is notorious for taking an extra day or so. That's why I take all my mail to a drop box in Starkville instead of mailing from my mailbox. Gives me a 1 day head start. Lol!!!
  • EricaBraun
    8 years ago

Darrin -- Congratulations!

• cryptid
    8 years ago

"EricaBraun(9b)

Darrin -- Congratulations!"

Seriously??! Really??! Woo hoo! I'm nearly in shock, here!! Loving it, though, every bit. Wow! Thanks to all voters!! OMG,...! :)

• amybabyboy3
    8 years ago

Congratulations Darrin! Great job!

• beth_b_kodiak
    8 years ago

Thanks Katie, my little PO is a bit slow too

Happy Halloween everyone and

Congratulations to Darrin

• kchd
    8 years ago
    Congrats, Darrin!! ;)
  • canyonwind
    8 years ago

Shirley, thanks so much for a wonderful "Halloween Party"!! Fun...Fun...Fun...as usual!

Happy Halloween to all....be safe.

Annie

• sjc48
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Evening, Ladies and Gent!

Well, first of all, HAPPY HALLOWEEN to you all! I hope you have a great time doing whatever it is you do on Halloween, ie, dressing up, passing out candy or taking kids/grandkids trick or treating! Have fun and be safe!

Then I want to thank everyone for coming to the party this month, it was fun! And to wrap it all up, here are the prize winners:

Pumpkin Coloring Contest - Darrin

Total Points Overall - Katie (this was a squeaker, several were very close to each other!)

Bobbing for Apples - Erica

Halloween Word of the Day - Erica

Who Dressed Up As What - this prize is going to the lady who kept us guessing the longest - Amy

Who Finally Guessed What She Was - Nicole

Okay, those were the biggies, but there will be other smaller prizes awarded for things like the first to arrive at the Party and the last 2 to arrive, also prizes for some Special Words of the Day, which you won't know what they were until you get the prize for it. Lord, my grammar is so poor!

Congrats to all the winners and thanks, Everyone, for participating this month!

We still need to hear from Katie, Margo and Alana that they have received, so post here, ladies, when that happens, Thanks!

Shirley!

• smitties
    8 years ago

Nothing in the mailbox today but I know the post office is ever so slow anymore. I hope to get it tomorrow.

Happy Halloween to all. We are going to my daughters in-law's tomorrow for a feast and bonfire. Hopefully we can do a little burning before the forecasted rain comes.

Congrats to Darrin. I thought your picture was most awesome.

And special thanks to our friend and hostess Shirley. It was a great party!!! Margo

• bluee19
    8 years ago

Thanks Shirley for hosting and the month sure has gone by fasssst.

• kchd
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Congrats to all the winners! Wow @ winning the points, as well. I loved this swap, especially all the riddles! Big THANK YOU, again, to Shirley for hosting. Darrin's pumpkin was beautifully colored. It reminded me of Hubbard Blue pumpkins.

I'll let y'all know as soon as I receive Beth's card. Our post office is quite rural, so it takes an extra day to send and receive from here. However... I wouldn't give up our postal staff for the world! They know me and even when mail is sent to the old address, if it has my name on it, they bring it to the house. The mail lady is super kind and gets so tickled at the seed and plant packages. The postal manager is a total trip, too, and very friendly.

Today is a special day for me. My husband Brian and I are celebrating our 5th anniversary today. We are both non-traditional people and certainly the non-traditional couple, so we never dreamed that we would enjoy marriage so much.

Looking forward to Margo's swap! Now I need to think about how I will carve up our pumpkin on the porch. I think I will go to the store on Nov. 1 and buy up all the leftover pumpkins. Pumpkin meat and pumpkin seeds are de'lish!

• canyonwind
    8 years ago

Katie, Happy 5th Anniversary to you and your husband Brian............Enjoy!

Happy weekend!

Annie

• poisondartfrog
    8 years ago

Congratulations to all of the prize winners! Darrin, I loved your pumpkin; magical.

Great swap, Shirley!

Here was the inspiration for my costume. Little Sophie loves owls.

• sjc48
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Congratulations, Brian & Katie! May you have many more years together!

Alana, How great is that, she looks just like a Snowy Owl! Was that made for her or was it a "boughten" costume - whatever, it is great!

Final yard clean up today.

I mean it.

Happy Halloween, All!

Shirley!

• smitties
    8 years ago

Sophie makes a cute owl. How fun.

Congratulations to Katie and Brian. So wonderful your are enjoying your marriage so fully. Here's to many more!!!!

Received my card today, on Halloween!! Thank you Tonyadawn for the cute card and the Whippoorwill bean and Tahona O'dum pea seeds. Looking forward to growing them next year. Margo

• EricaBraun
    8 years ago

Katie -- Congratulations to you and Brian. Cheers to non-traditional couples finding happiness in marriage!

• amybabyboy3
    8 years ago

Katie and Brian Congratulations! Super cute little Sophie Owl! Happy Halloween Everyone!

• cryptid
    8 years ago

Katie & Brian,...happy

• cryptid
    8 years ago

Alana, thanks for the compliment! Sophie looks absolutely adorable!! :)

• cryptid
    8 years ago

This December 16th is Elly's and my 35th anniversary.

• cryptid
    8 years ago

Hey Alana,...I'm making a tincture of Reishi (100 proof vodka). Middle of this next month it should basically be ready. Now, I just need more eyedropper bottles. Back to our local herbalist I go...! :) - Think this next time I'll go with 70 proof, I think. I wanted the bigger bottle and it was 100. - Recommendation??

• poisondartfrog
    8 years ago

I have not made any tinctures lately, but I think 80 proof might give you better results. No need for the 100, imho, but 70 let's the alcohol content dip below 40%, which I have always understood to be optimum for preservation purposes. Maybe someone else has had a different experience.

I've not had time for what I consider my normal pursuits this year, so I would be inclined to add a little cranberry juice or orange juice just drink it. :>)

• poisondartfrog
    8 years ago

I just had a chance to look at yesterday's mail and found a sweet card from Nicole. It is the second one she sent so the other is out there in postal world still. The second time really is the charm.

She sent great seeds that I will truly enjoy: Zinnia Peppermint Yellow with Red, Tomato Dwarf Sweet Sue (love it) and Giant Sungold Sunflower. Thank you Nicole. I enjoyed the card and the seeds.

Again, Shirley, nice swap. Thanks.

Alana

• sjc48
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Evening All, thought I'd better post an update; waiting to hear from Katie, and I know that will be soon.

Also, prizes will be sent out this weekend!

Thanks again to all who came to the Party!

Katie SENT to Darrin - REC'D

Darrin SENT to Amy - REC'D

Amy SENT to Jeanne - REC'D

Jeanne SENT to Tonya - REC'D

Tonya SENT to Margo - REC'D

Margo SENT to Nicole - REC'D

Nicole SENT to Alana - REC'D

Alana SENT to Annie - REC'D

Annie SENT to SJC - REC'D

SJC SENT to Shirley (BG) - REC'D

Shirley (BG) SENT to Erica - REC'D

Erica SENT to Beth - REC'D

Beth SENT to Katie

Shirley!

• cryptid
    8 years ago

"poisondartfrog

I have not made any tinctures lately, but I think 80 proof might give you better results. No need for the 100, imho, but 70 let's the alcohol content dip below 40%, which I have always understood to be optimum for preservation purposes. Maybe someone else has had a different experience.

I've not had time for what I consider my normal pursuits this year, so I would be inclined to add a little cranberry juice or orange juice just drink it. :>)"

Thanks a lot, Alana, I totally appreciate your response!! :)

• poisondartfrog
    8 years ago

I'm a lowdown double dipper. Today I received a second card from Nicole, which is actually the first one postmarked October 15. I don't know what adventures it undertook, but here it is, safe and sound and none the worse for wear. A cute Halloween themed card, it held a pack of Orange Sun Sunflower seeds that I cannot wait to grow. Thanks again, Nicole!

• kchd
    8 years ago
    Beth's package is here!! I admit, tho, that I haven't been to the mailbox since Thursday. Beth sent a cute Halloween card and these fantastic seeds:
    Golden Sunray tomato
    Rosa Bianca eggplant
    Jackson Wonder Lima beans
    They all sounds like they will grow really well here. Can't wait to try them next year. Beth, thanks so much for sharing these heirlooms!
    Katie
  • cryptid
    8 years ago

"Darrin - your prize is made up of a card, and a package that is being mailed separately. Keep an eye out for both!"

Will do, and thanks, Shirley! Can hardly wait! :)

• amybabyboy3
    8 years ago

Shirley, Thank you so much for beautiful card and gift tags. I also love the Halloween towel. Thank you so much for you thoughtfulness! Amy

• bluee19
    8 years ago

Shirley, I recd your happy mail, thank you friend for the gift tags/card that you made with love and the halloween skull towel. THANK YOU FOR HOSTING LAST MONTH's Swap!!!

• smitties
    8 years ago

Shirley, I too received my pleasant surprise of a beautiful handmade card with gift tags. You are quite talented and I love them. Unfortunately, they are too pretty to give away. LOL Margo

• EricaBraun
    8 years ago

Shirley, I received your lovely cards and gift tags today. Thank you so very much for sharing a part of yourself.

• beth_b_kodiak
    8 years ago

Shirley, thanks for hostessing the Halloween party. Thanks also for the card and tags.

• poisondartfrog
    8 years ago

Thanks Shirley, for the card and pretty gift tags. I was not expecting a "signing bonus". ;)

• cryptid
    8 years ago

Shirley, what a really nice card and absolutely wonderful gift tags (to be reserved for special use only)!! Thank you so much for such a splendid surprise! :)

• sjc48
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, Everyone, for posting! My trust in the Great American Postal system is minimal, at best!

And, Darrin, keep an eye out for the rest of your prize, I've received an email that they sent it already!

Off to find more graveyards today, it's supposed to be in the 60s!

Shirley!

• kchd
    8 years ago
    Shirley!
    My amazing package arrived yesterday. Brian and I spent the day away from home, and checked the mailbox after we returned late last night. To my relief, your package and another was in there. I am starting to wonder if something drastic must be going on at our regional mail distribution center....

The prize contents are amazing! Thanks so much, but especially for the tea and paper products. Really, I need to come hang out with you and learn how to make some of these cards and gift tags. They are so beautiful. ❤️
  • canyonwind
    8 years ago

Shirley, thank you so much for the beautiful card and gift tags.... very nice surprise. Did you use an embosser? These are really pretty......

Happy cemetery Sunday......

Annie

• cryptid
    8 years ago

"And, Darrin, keep an eye out for the rest of your prize, I've received an email that they sent it already!"

Kewlest!! Can hardly wait!! (--clapping hands--) :)

• cryptid
    8 years ago

The fabric panel, yes?! Marvelous!! We'll mount it on a wall! Thank you sooooooo much! It's perfect! Boy am I glad I entered the pumpkin coloring contest! Elly dittos this. :) She was in town attending to business when the UPS truck pulled-up while I was raking leaves. I opened out the panel and spread it over her chair for her to notice when she got back.