Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisasuel

proper distance between cabinet + top of faucet?

lisasuel
8 years ago

hi ALL: We have a tiny galley kitchen. No window, cabinet height will be 18 inches above countertop. CABINET WILL BE ABOVE SINK. What is the highest faucet ( tallest) we can choose? What is the clearance supposed to be? I especially love the gooseneck pulldown/pullout looks, But so far i fear they are all too tall. Also of course I don't want to overwhelm the kitchen. thank you!

Comments (20)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

A cabinet above the sink ,is never the same height as the rest. It's a shorter cabinet allowing for headroom for the person working/washing AT the sink. All but the tallest faucets should work ASSUMING you are not mounting a cabinet a mere 18 inches above the actual sink itself. A much larger problem than what faucet to use.

• acm
    7 years ago

In a tiny kitchen, there is often no choice. I had cabinets all across my kitchen sink at 18" and never had a problem. Am worried now, though, since my current cabinets will probably end up lower than that.

Is there a minimum clearance for a gooseneck faucet to not look ridiculous? The one I have will clear the cabinets, but not by a wealth, and I can't decide whether to change the layout of the (already installed) cabinets, give up the faucet I'm already in love with, or just eat the minimal clearance.

• User
    5 years ago

anyone have an answer? I have the same predicament. Thanks.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The faucet clearance is not really the problem. The cabinetry over the sink, at 18 inches clearance from the counter is indeed the problem. Faucets have no specified clearance, as it is assumed they will reside in a more open location, and if on a wall.........that is generally in front of a window or under cabinetry with a 30 inch clearance to the counter. The hemmed in /head bumping feeling created with doing dishes with no view is exacerbated with low hanging cabinetry, hence no kitchen today would be designed with that inconvenient feature today. Choose a different faucet...........: )

• User
    5 years ago

I get to look into a glass cabinet - is that any better than a solid? :) I can't afford to redo my cabinetry, but I do need a different faucet so I appreciate the input and I'll definitely watch my noggin.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

A stained or painted to match side panel for uppers that adjoin the upper sink cabinet, and the REMOVAL of the cabinet over the sink, may solve two issues in one fell swoop. Hang some art instead. Even a trim or crown detail , removal of a valance can usually be accomplished. Your head might be saved.

• Avraham Byers
    4 years ago

It’s 100% fine to have your uppers inline with the rest of your cabinets (and not higher.)

To answer your Q: 5 inches is the minimum between top of facet and the bottom of your upper cabinets.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

I installed a faucet for a customer that worked perfectly, but she couldn't open her shutters afterwards. I installed another. Two days later she decided that one was too short so I installed the third. Choose carefully, please.

• PRO
    Overzealous Design
    last year

I am having the same issue deciding except my upper cabinets are 25” from the counter in my laundry room …. Thinking of going with an 18” tall faucet though my sink is only 22.6” wide and wondering if it will dwarf the space. It would leave me with a 7” clearance from top of faucet to bottom of upper cabinets. The faucet I like is called dxv etre. https://www.qualitybath.com/dxv-d35404300-etre-kitchen-faucet-17-7-8-h-product-344651.htm

• PRO
    Overzealous Design
    last year

Actually it’s 23” from counter to end of cabinets, so with an 18” faucet I would have a 5” clearance. Is that too high of a faucet for the location?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year
    last modified: last year

No faucet will "dwarf" a space. My worry is why wasn't the faucet at the fabricator along with the sink for the counter install. That appears one REALLY tight fit to get that in there now. Any faucet actually . Unless you are planning to side?

• PRO
    Overzealous Design
    last year

The hole for faucet was actually drilled in already. Not shown in photo. The sink is 10” deep. Purpose for sink is to have a bath spot for my Maltese 8lb dog so I’m thinking of going with a 17” tall faucet with pull down for bathing the doggie. This gives me 6” clearance from top of faucet to bottom of upper cabinets. My worry is will that look cramped? My other option is a 15” tall faucet

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Let me tell you when I would spend that kind of money on a laundry faucet: ) Never. There are a million great looks for less. The height isn't a problem at 15 to 18 .

• PRO
    Overzealous Design
    last year

Oh the faucet I’m thinking of buying is between $200-300 🤪

• PRO
    Overzealous Design
    last year

The dxv I can get for $280 from someone who did not end up using it on their remodel

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Great!!!

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    last year

My answer would be - whatever fits and can move freely below the cabinet ( don't forget the light rail trim )

Otherwise , do a shorter cabinet

I don't feel like there is a right answer here - just opinions and experience. Some people it bothers and some it doesn't.

Delta has some nice faucets that are only 15" - 16" high.

Good luck!

• PRO
    Overzealous Design
    last year

Thank you. Very helpful

• PRO
    Overzealous Design
    12 months ago

Update… I installed my beautiful vigo brushed brass faucet 18” tall and fit perfectly!!