Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leannejas

How do you clean your hardwood flooring?

leannejas
8 years ago
What is the best way to clean engineered hardwood flooring? We have new maple floors. I've read that some like the commercial products, such as Bona, others dislike them because they streak. Some swear by home cleaning products, such as vinegar. Which is best, commercial or home products?

Comments (5)

• roxsol
    8 years ago

I have pre oiled hard maple floors. I just use a slightly damp mop and plain water. About every 6 washings i put a drop of water soluble wood soap (recommended by the floor manufacturer) into the water. That's it, nothing else.

• hayleydaniels
    8 years ago

If you have hardwood, watch out if you use anything wet as it can damage your floor. Hopefully some of the flooring pros will weigh in on the subject, but if not, search 'cleaning hardwood floors' and read some of the old threads where a lot of pros added their two cents worth.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    8 years ago

The manufacturer is the 'last word' on what to use and how to use it. Your engineered floor could have one of a dozen different finishes on it...each finish has it's own maintenance. You will need to find the name of your procuct (and anything special about the finish) and then search for the maintenance documents on line.

Someone with Bona on their floors can and should use Bona. Anyone with a Bruce or Armstrong Floor should use Bruce or Armstrong cleaners/maintenance products which are applicable to your finish.

Until you manage to down load/print your maintenance information, you can stick with a "dry" microfibre mop for your day-to-day sweeping. Every wood floor needs to be swept a few times per week...every week until you move or get a new floor.

Damp cleaning (water, bona, bruce, etc) are once per MONTH cleaning schedules. Yes...once per month is all it needs for "damp".

NEVER STEAM CLEAN!

Let us know your floor's name/finish and we'll see if we can dig up those documents for your. Your point of sale (assuming you purchased from a quality flooring store and paid for quality installation) should have something. If you purchased from a big box store...don't bother. They ruin floors on daily basis. Google your product and you will get FAR MORE information than if you go back to said big box and ask "Skippy" the Wonder Kid.

• PRO
    Classic Hardwood Floors & Designs
    8 years ago

Choose a product specifically designed for wood flooring so that the chemicals in your cleaner don't react with the finish on your wood flooring and cause any cloudiness or streaking. We recommend a specific product because it is designed to work with all woods regardless of the finish. I would steer clear of vinegar.

• PRO
    Momentum Janitorial
    6 years ago

Hardwood floors can be difficult to clean without damaging the surface.In order to clean hardwood quickly and without damaging it,you need a vacuum specifically designed to clean wooden floors.Along with regular wiping and sweeping, you can protect and polish your floors with high-quality,professional waxing products, without harming the environment.I think the best method to clean wood floors depends on the type of sealant;most modern sealants are water-resistant.This way you will keep your hardwood floors looking like new for years to come.