foodie63

Living room decor advice

foodie63
October 19, 2015
last modified: October 19, 2015

I'd love some advice on some accents or furniture that could help tie my living room together. Our hand-me-down furniture feels disconnected in terms of color and style. The sofa is a bit more formal than I would prefer but we're going to keep it for a while as we have two toddlers who are tough on furniture. I'm also open to new furniture layout as this is an open living - dining - kitchen space and right now the sofa defines the living area. I prefer the style of the kitchen a little more country than the modern art that I have going on in the living room.

• Nancy Ingram
    Pretty nice stuff for hand-me-downs-sothis will be easy! First, move your sofa in closer to the fireplace and move the chairs closer to the sofa and on to the rug. Add a round colored ottoman. Put a square end table on end of sofa near chairs. Add lamp (just run an extension cord behind chairs). Add rectangular end table on other side of sofa. Eliminate floor lamp. Add drapery panels that are darker to pull in all the brown of the furniture. Add a backless chaise or fun cowhide chairs to other side of seating group. If chairs, add round table in between. Angle chairs slightly so as not to block tv. Add fern or fireplace screen. Consider changing out ceiling fan for a drum style one. Add throw pillows with all the colors in room.
    foodie63 thanked Nancy Ingram
  • foodie63

Thank you so much for your suggestions! I love the end tables and a green adding some curtains would tie the room together. I like your suggestion as well to add some chairs on the other side of the living room. Thank you!

• Architectural Notice

The blue pillows and small chair/ottoman don't seem to go with the artwork over the fireplace. I would change one or the other.

• Maureen

Keep the couch where it is and move in closer/on carpet + add a console table behind (and add baskets underneath for storage) and move the single chairs to either side of fireplace + ottoman in middle. I would make a dedicated play area along the wall to the right and would bring in the colors from your art with lots of pillows and maybe a throw. If you can find another place for your rug and I would use a natural fibre rug and bamboo roman blinds. I can't find a good example of the look, but thought the elements of the picture below may help - rustic/modern look with pops of color, lots of pillows, large baskets for toys, casual accessories, etc.

Updated Classics: Today's Traditional Design · More Info

foodie63 thanked Maureen
    foodie63 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
    Be-Leaf Design, llc

Hi foodie63! What a fun challenge! I appreciated Nancy Ingram's advice and vision for you! I took the challenge of her visual layout to give you different options! Until you are ready to change out the hand-me-downs you can add small pieces that reflect your own style. For window treatment, try drapes that pull from one side only and add woven natural (cordless) Roman blinds. How about an ottoman and side table in fun aqua colors? The ottoman can be moved from the center to the side in front of tv for extra seating when entertaining. Updating the floor lamp helps tie the natural color of the blinds and the sofa table together. The star of the show is replacing your art with a family photo collage!

foodie63 thanked Be-Leaf Design, llc
    foodie63 thanked Be-Leaf Design, llc
  • Lila

Agree that your furniture looks pretty good. Your sofa is a style I am seeing in Urban Barn and West Elm. The thing I love the most in your room is the artwork over the fireplace. Please keep it. Change out your decorative cushions for others that pull the colours from the artwork.

foodie63 thanked Lila