Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luna244

Need help busy wood paneling/sun room

luna244
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I have a back porch room that is great (35 x 11 ft) ...except the busy wood paneling. Especially on the one wall it not vertical or horizontal, but rather diagnoal/zigzag. It is so busy. So far all I've done is try to cover it with a hodge podge of prints which isn't working. I have wood on the ceilings which I like. The halfwall paneling is ok on some days and not on others, lol. I painted the drywall a greige color which I like a lot. I want to paint the paneling but I am scared! I think white is too stark (this room gets tons of light, has four west facing windows and three skylights). I thought about just painting the busy wall, but I don't know. I think a light color would draw attention to the zigzag design. I think a very dark color would mask it. Help! P.s. the floors are a terrible blue/green color and I think I want wood floors. I have light unstained natural oak in the next room over and love it. The room is so far a hodge podge and I'm tired of thinking about how to fix it.

Comments (9)

• Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

might you like it better without the prints? as you say, they dont mask the mayhem going on. perhaps take them down and see if you actually feel better, even tho you still dont like the wall.

• Whitney Yett
    8 years ago
    I saw something like your wall on a tv show.. I think painting the zig zag wall would be a great idea.. A warm neutral tone..
  • decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

Multiple shades of gray/greige don't say sunroom to me, and it is all looking pretty blue on my monitor. The zigzag wall was designed as the focal point of this room, so make it so! If this is the family TV room full time, install a bigger TV there and put that closed buffet/credenza under it. TV should be 75% of the credenza's width. This will give you a deliberate and cleaner look. What's the fence for and how come the floor looks to be on two levels? I think there's a lot that can be done here; you seem to be using only half of the room and yet the sofa is crowded in front of the sliders. Use your art to decorate the painted walls, as they are crying for some decor. Float the sofa out in front of the TV. Angle the lounge chair on the left of the sofa between the windows, and put the other chair on the right of the FP, in the corner. Do some major de-cluttering and consider new window treatments. The short curtains aren't doing anything for the room.

• acm
    8 years ago

I don't mind the wall, but I also wouldn't be offended if you painted it. If you do, I'd do it the same color as your wall, and both several shades lighter (and warmer) than the current unless you're giving up on "sun porch" and just use this as a living room. Really, even then. Also agree with Deco about the furniture arrangement. This is a huge room, but the other space can serve other purposes.

• luna244
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I was trying to downplay how warm the room was with all the yellow/orange wood in it... so I used the gray/beige color. I'm rearranging furniture and taking prints off the wall now to show it with less stuff. The other half of hte room has a lower walkway from the garage to the backyard. It is kind of awkward, but has a space for my desk at the moment. That will also change in the future... Stay tuned! thanks

• Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

ok, the wall feels way more 'right' now. i agree, buy a bigger tv (your husband won't complain, i'm thinking....) on a taller stand as deco describes

• decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Since you already have that credenza, I'd try it under the TV. I don't care for the open shelves under it now, and I don't think putting it behind the sofa serves any purpose since the fence kind of blocks access to it. You probably need to pare down this room since the wall already causes busyness. I do think this arrangement works better. Since you use the room a lot for TV, consider black out roman shades instead of the shades and curtains you have. I assume the fence keeps the dogs at bay!

• Carolyn
    6 years ago

I know this is an old post, but paint it white. I did that in a home and it sold quickly! Looks beachy.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida