Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alcova

Please help! What is wrong with my island?

alcova
8 years ago
I did not know we had a problem until we bought counter height chairs and went to sit down and it was a tight squeeze. My island is 36 inches, soapstone, apron is 4. 1/4 inches. I looked up table aprons and their standard size is 4 inches to provide support but since I only have 12 inches overhang perhaps I don't need 4 inch apron. My chairs are 26 inches to seat height. I'm left with 4 inches of leg space after you subtract soapstone, apron, and seat height? I would love to hear from pros, people that have island with aprons or anyone with knowledge on this area. I assumed cabinet maker would take this into account. What is standard leg room when using an apron. Should I cut my apron? Buy adjustable chairs....I don't know.

Comments (24)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

You might want to look at afdjustable stools I love the bombo in a traditional space just for a bit of fun and they adjust all the way down to chair height if you google adjustable stools you will find lots.

alcova thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • how2girl
    8 years ago
    I think you'll still have a problem if you get lower stools, as then the counter will seem too high. Perhaps a solution would be to have your cabinetmaker either remove the apron and replace with a slimmer apron, or cut a curve in it to allow for more legroom, therefore the current chair height and counter height will be ok. Will obviously need to repaint/refinish the modified piece.
    alcova thanked how2girl
  • how2girl
    8 years ago
    That would only give another 2", so leg gap would then be 6", is that enough - still seems a bit tight?
    alcova thanked how2girl
  • User
    8 years ago

Dining chairs are 18". Dining tables are 30". With the 4" apron. No one of standard size has trouble with that clearance and it is exactly the same as with standard 24" stools and 36" counters. YMMV if you have above average sized family members.

alcova thanked User
  • alcova
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

White kitchen and breakfast room with fireplace and arches · More Info

Thank you for all your responses. I guess I'm coming to the conclusion I was hoping to avoid. I probably have to move to 24 inch chairs and have apron shaved by 2 inches (expensive and not easy as counter tops on place). Does anybody on here know what typical apron width is for a 36 inch island? What is standard knee clearance room on 36 island? I see so many pictures on houzz with legs and counters and love the look but wondering where I went wrong. Some aprons definitely look smaller than mine but some seem to be the same. Ugghh! I want this renovation to be done ..going on 4 months.

see picture from houzz...that looks like a 4 inch apron with more knee room than mine..no?

• User
    8 years ago

Are you larger than average? If not, then switching to standardized 24" stools from the too tall 26" should be all the ''clearance'' that you need.

• Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

neither our dining room nor our counter has an apron, but both have 12" difference from seat to top.

you will in fact see many many photos on houzz that are beautiful but unusable, especially of counter stools being way too high for the counter, the person's knees would be at the counter height.

bad bad designers!

Westport Beach House · More Info

Wells Street Kitchen · More Info

Rocky Ledge Kitchen · More Info

changing your stools to a 24 that is adjustable down makes the most sense. crate and barrel has one that is 18 -24".

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/turner-black-adjustable-backless-counter-stool/s527246

alcova thanked Judy Mishkin
  • Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

if you can have your apron altered up a couple inches it would be great, you and your carpenter will need to work out what's feasible now.

alcova thanked Judy Mishkin
  • raineycarole
    8 years ago
    Get shorter bar stools and try them out before you go cutting the apron. It may be fine with 24" stools.
    alcova thanked raineycarole
  • User
    8 years ago
    It's too bad your kitchen designer didn't think of this. Anyway you can be reimbursed for the repair? Hope you have not paid in full.
  • User
    8 years ago

The construction is standard. The stools are NOT. There is no laying this at the feet of the KD

• alcova
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sophie not blaming anyone just trying to figure out how to best rectify the problem. I do see the apron sizes varying on houzz some looking the same size as mine and some looking skinnier that's why I'm asking. Also would love to hear from people that have an apron how much clearance they are living with. Well we just returned the chairs to ikea (they were super comfy) and will source out a 24 inch chair. I'll let you know.

• alcova
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Everyone...I have tried a 24 inch chair and that gives us 6 inches of thigh room which seems to be enough. I may also get my cabinet maker reduce the size of skirt to 3 inches; we'll see. Just happy to that we can eat at the island. For anybody considering s skirt do not go larger than 3 inches. Thanks everybody for your feedback. Here is a pick of 24 inch chair.

• User
    8 years ago
    You can have a beautiful custom chair cover or chair cushions made to give some color and texture to your space.
    alcova thanked User
  • mcburja72
    8 years ago

Please don't trim back the apron - it's exactly right for the scale of the piece. Take a look for adjustable stools. There are lots out there to suit every budget and style.

It's also nice to be able to tuck them underneath when not in use.

alcova thanked mcburja72
  • PRO
    Main Line Kitchen Design
    8 years ago

Standard stool height for a 36" high top is between 22 and 24" and yes the skirt should be 3" too.

alcova thanked Main Line Kitchen Design
  • PRO
    Kaestner Designs - Kitchens, Baths & Interiors
    8 years ago

The stools are definitely the issue. If you absolutely love your stools, perhaps the installer could add an arch to the aprons to allow for leg clearance. With a shaker style kitchen, if you used more of a straight line arch it could look as if you planned it that way.

alcova thanked Kaestner Designs - Kitchens, Baths & Interiors
  • caralee61
    6 years ago

If you haven't already solved your issue, have you considered cutting the legs down a bit on your stools if you already have them. A lot cheaper than cutting the apron!

• Kathryn Collins
    10 months ago

They always recommend a 2 to 3 inch apron so you have plenty of knee room. If you get a 3 inch apron with a 24 inch stool on a 36 inch high island ‘ (which is standard) you would have 9 inches of room which is plenty. 33-24=9

• Kathryn Collins
    10 months ago

My cabinet guy made a 5 inch apron which I’m having them cut down to 3 inches before he installs

• millworkman
    10 months ago

Kathryn Collins while your advice may help, the OP posted this 7 years ago and I am sure they have found a solution by now or changed direction entirely.

• Antwon
    10 months ago

Just buy adjustable barstools.

• Antwon
    10 months ago

Just buy adjustable barstools.