0

Lotus for Lotus / Water Lilies / pond plant seeds

sampathroy
October 26, 2015

Hi Everyone,

I started gardening as a personal practice and planning to have lotus / water lilies / pond plants.

I have bought water lily seeds on ebay and seems all are dead seeds.

As I'm a beginner, don't have any seeds or plants to trade.

Can anyone help me by providing seeds.

Thanks in anticipation.

• marilyn_c

The best way to grow waterlilies is from tubers (tropicals) or rhizomes (hardies). I have grown waterlilies from seed....and you can get a tropical to bloom in the first season but a hardy will take two years or longer. Most people who grow them, grow them from divisions, since almost all are hybrids and won't bloom true from seeds. It can be interesting for a just for fun project. Tropical seeds are small...similar to poppy seeds. The way to plant them is to use finely sifted garden soil. Plant them and then cover the soil with some fine sand...like what is used for sand boxes...play sand. Lower carefully in water...like in an aquarium where there are no fish. Grow under lights....germinate usually in 10 to 14 days. However, they can be plagued by algae and fungus. so I wouldn't bother with it if that is your aim to have plants for a watergarden....I'd stick with buying or trading for plants. Hope this helps. I have grown waterlilies for almost 50 years.

• Ely Heliconias

Hi am a beginner to ,I buy my turbers at Berger water gardens (available 2 varieties only)and pondlotus. (Out sale) 2 of mine is in flower and some waterlylies.