Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deodand

Desert-Themed Bedroom

deodand
11 years ago
I'm looking for inspirational photos of desert-themed design for a master bedroom. I am inspired by the simple beauty of the desert with the vibrant blue sky and the tans and oranges of sand and rocks. I find desert landscape photos very calming and I want to capture that calm feeling.

The thing is...everything I see that relates to the desert usually involves Native American or Southwestern US-themed art. That's not the goal I have in mind. Just the peaceful, natural desert colours in the space. Help!

Comments (21)

• michigammemom
    11 years ago
    The addition of a kiva fireplace would contribute to the organic desert feel.
    Master bedroom · More Info
  • nasmijati
    11 years ago
    Let me find some photos for you. Be right back.
  • nasmijati
    11 years ago
    Here are some photos. All are from Houzz PHOTOS. I am sorry they do not enlarge on this post.
    The first photo shows a very calm color for the entire room, with just the turquoise throw indoors and the view out the window for contrast.
    The second photo shows a similarly nearly monochromatic room, with the contrasting colors in the view out the window.
    When I chose the third photo, by photographer Mark Boisclair, I thought he might be able to make these window images into wallpaper for you.
    Information for the third photo: Tate Studio Architects, Scottsdale, Arizona USA 85260
    Pass Residence. 2012 Gold Nugget Award of Merit.

Photographer Mark Boisclair. www.markboisclair.com

Best wishes.
  • deodand
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    ASVInteriors - that's the exact problem with the project, anything I do that doesn't directly reference the desert looks...odd. I live in a town where a sports team has blue and orange colours, maybe people will think I'm a crazed fan.
  • deodand
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    etzia - the third photo is inspiring...I only wish I had that many windows! I think that is about where I will wind up, with very simple minimalist furniture and large desert-themed photos or canvases. And lots of lighting that is very focused and pointing downward.
  • Elise
    11 years ago
    Consider the similarity of the desert colors and beach colors. The sunset on the horizon is your focal point. Look to a mural company that can produce wall scale backgrounds.
    Sand under foot and sky overhead, with bits of rough wood and stone... They even have a drag and drop feature to view in a room.

http://wallpaper.muralsyourway.com/search?w=desert%20sunset
  • PRO
    Flat Magic Art & Design
    11 years ago
    Large hand-painted murals on canvas will surround you with the beauty of the desert. These two are in stock and can be trimmed to fit. Or he can paint custom size and subject. www.stepheneprice.com
  • designideas4me
    11 years ago
    Since I kinda live in a desert area. I love the sky and stars at nignt. maybe someway to replicate the look of stars on the ceiling. I love the cactus and wildflowers. You can bring in plants such as suculants or even air waterless plants in glass floating pots or in large pots . You can use wall paper texture that imatates sand..like that wave form board. You can use many colors if you think of the flowers.
  • PRO
    Vikrant Sharma Homez
    11 years ago
    @michigammemom , I loved the Idea of the Kiva F.Place.
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    deodand - would you consider an Arabian theme, beautiful jewel colours, a 4 poster bed with soft floaty drapes, floaty curtains on your windows. Festoon the ceiling to look like a tent or just go for sand coloured walls, lots of white and some indoor palm trees.

[houzz=
    Casa Lluvia Blanca · More Info
    ]

[houzz=
    Casa Lluvia Blanca · More Info
    ]

[houzz=
    Eclectic Entry · More Info
    ]

[houzz=
    Rooms to Inspire by the Sea by Annie Kelly beach homes houses · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    Flat Magic Art & Design
    11 years ago
    Desert star ceiling would be an awesome idea. Stephen can paint stars that only come out at night under special light. Not that unrealistic green glowing look, but white glow, with Milky Way going softly across the ceiling. Combine dune mural with hanging fabrics to give a tent look in the corners, Moroccan interior design cues and star ceiling--enchantment! Love the kiva fireplace too.
  • deodand
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @designideads4me, Something textured with a wave form...this is a great idea. There must be a paper tile out there that has this texture.

Draped light fabrics are a good thought too. You guys are smart!
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    11 years ago
    Believe it or not, we at Cancork/Icork Floor have a cork floor called, wait for it, "Desert Arable"!

This is the floor that inspired the name:
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    11 years ago
    Hello deodand, Marie here.
    Yes - I understand what you mean.
    You want texture, texture and more texture.
    What you need to decide is if you want the night or day sky interpreted in your design scheme or simply understand and elegant neutral tone on tone grays and browns.

Some photos for your inspiration and let us know if you want a bit of orange-red, or pure blue sky...
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    11 years ago
    BTW: I'm with you. To me, the desert is not "native Americana". It is something that is beyond the North American idea of "desert". It is not the South West themes we see over here. It is the vast, never ending sands that is the Sahara or the Gobi!

I'm not big on "pot bellied fireplaces". To Hopi for me. As a Canadian, I don't have a strong connection towards American Southwest. I'm more of an "international desert" connoisseur!
  • onthefence
    11 years ago
    Deodand, regarding wall treatment - this isn't exactly what you're looking for - but close. I recalled a post earlier this week where the poster had used an interesting wall treatment. This comes from the same company.

http://www.mywallart.com/details/Flows

I know there is an acrylic wave panel closer to what you're looking for as far as the waves as well. I'll post back if I find it.
  • rinked
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    The cork floor looks great and so do the limestone tiles, but is it all BEDroom enough? A skyblue ceiling or curtains with a sand colored floor and/or walls (wainscoting?) will look peaceful. My guess too is adding a mural makes more sense than painting your room blue and orange. And a curvy wallpaper stuck on it's side might turn out very pretty (painted gold?).

DUNES · More Info

Dune Wall Sconce by Oggetti Luce · More Info

Curvy Paintable Wallpaper · More Info

new design of 3d wall paper · More Info

Raised Print Swirl Wallpaper, Beige, Tan, and Grey · More Info

Ferrari Rug · More Info

Twinkle Curtain DAYDREAM Toddler daytime nap curtain by GRAstudio · More Info

Cairo Gold · More Info
  • deodand
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Cancork - I am also Canadian, which is part of the reason why I don't want to reference Southwestern US aboriginal themes.
  • deodand
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    onthefence - Wallart also has one called Sands that is nice. These tiles are paintable too.

http://www.mywallart.com/details/Sands
  • deodand
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Marie - Day desert is my inspiration.