Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pansy85

Granite/backsplash combo? What looks best?

Pansy Cra
8 years ago
My kitchen cabinets are medium brown and I have a few backsplash pieces I'm in a toss up over to match with the cicilian granite...
I have
1. glass champagne tile
2. a copper colored glass tile
3. A grayish-looking glass tile

Which looks best with the granite or should I toss them all. Tile guy coming tomorrow for estimate and want to have selection complete. Please help! Thanks

Comments (22)

• Pansy Cra
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thinking about the revere pewter paint color... I did put up a few blocks of this color and it looks sooo green even on primed walls!!
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

None

While your selections are really gorgeous, they don't complement your cabinets or granite. It's like wearing a tiara with corduroy pants. I would pull the darker grey from the granite for the backsplash tile. No pearlescent finish for a kitchen.

Or select stainless backsplash

• md1948
    8 years ago

My suggestion is from a cleaning perspective: try for a smooth surface. If you have something with ridges it'll be more time consuming to clean and the joy of having it will fade rather quickly. Also if you go with a glass tile, make sure the adhesive doesn't distort the color -- I've seen that happen. But whatever you choose, I wish you many happy years in your kitchen...and the rest of your home!

• User
    8 years ago

Agree with quam999 100%

• Pansy Cra
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @beverly... Tiara and corduroys is enough to make me get the point with no questions!! Tickled pink tho...

The tile with the ridge embellishment look is a smooth finish without exposed ridges... Actually all selections have a smooth finish just an embellished look... I.e. No crevices.

I'm headed back to the granite warehouse to try for another selection.

I really liked the champagne colored glass tile but....

Also I sampled the revere pewter BM paint color on my primed walls to see its true hue and boy am I glad I did... That color will only go in the smallest bedroom in my house!! Total disaster color/--/ wet cement is what it came out to.
    Thanks houzzers that was easy
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

May I suggest you find pics of kitchens with oak cabinets similar to yours and see what elements work successfully and which ones don't.

Personally, if you're looking for an update for the oak cabinets, I think combining them with slate colors are very successful. In the picture below, some of the cabinets have been painted the warm darker grey and combined with slate backsplash and greyish counters. They have mixed that with a greige for the wall paint. Nice update.

• Pansy Cra
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I have searched high and low... Nothing to appealing out there... I'm over the true earthy look-- brown but I did fall in love with that champagne colored glass tile (still on this one)... The mosaic look I every pic became a turn off to me hence I was opting for a bolder look by using embellished glass tile.

The granite is now making me second guess the project too since I see it everyone's kitchen--- St Cecilian that is.

Thanks for the suggestion will keep looking and post my finds
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

Take your cabinets door to the granite yard when you look for a slab.

• mcbmd3
    8 years ago
    I used the counter granite as the backslash too. Maybe something to consider. Good luck.
  • mrskain1
    8 years ago
    Can you get the champagne colour without the ridges? They're too much pattern.
  • Pansy Cra
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @beverly... That looks really pretty. I have extra cabs in the garage will definitely take a door and some backsplash samples.
    @mrskain- I'm looking for the champagne color in a smooth finish. I kind of hate that I fell in love with the champagne tile.
    Thank you all !!
  • PRO
    RL Morton & Associates, PC
    8 years ago
    I vote for the Grey with a dark grout.
  • mrskain1
    8 years ago
    It's okay to fall in love with something. Don't give up and you'll find what you want. I saw my backsplash tiles on a decorating segment on a TV show. It took me 3 months to find out where they came from (I even called the show) and I finally found them in Toronto and I live in Vancouver area. I had them shipped out. Love them. So glad I didn't settle. :-)
  • Pansy Cra
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @mrskain... Talk about resourceful-- you are definitely it... I'll keep looking and add to my 8 month search...
    I will post my next love affair:))
  • mrskain1
    8 years ago
    Probably more like stubborn! haha
  • Pansy Cra
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hahaha! It paid off!!

I found this piece of black and other colored granite... Is this too busy with the wood in the kitchen

I thought it was busy but a nice look to blend with my expresso- wood wine bar

Any thoughts on the black granite... Not with the tile selections... I'm on to other tile selections
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

It would not be my choice. I think it's the type of granite that could be used for an island, but not perimeter counters.

Sorry, but that granite selection may have too limited appeal for most people if you are concerned about resale. Also if you select such a patterned granite, your selection for backsplash will need to be a bit more subdued.

• Pansy Cra
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi Bev! Thanks not really concerned about resale in a heavy capacity to limit my likes too much but I Did see this granite and it was such a beautiful piece in the show kitchen. . I wish I could afford to change when the wind blows:)) LOL. Of course I value my fellow houzzers so I'm back to the granite search. Will still have this in my peripherals.
  • Pansy Cra
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Oh also grabbed a cabinet piece from the garage and stored it in the truck for slab matching ;)
  • Pansy Cra
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Found this on Houzz -- thought was a very similar look to my thought on the black granite... I think the granite is the same too

Ramona Kitchen Remodel · More Info
  • mrskain1
    8 years ago
    I originally agreed with Beverly regarding the black granite, but now have changed my mind seeing the photo's. I think it looks great and I like the glass tile with it too.