Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alishamiley011

What style to portray?

Alisha S
8 years ago

This is the house we have just bought. I feel the house is beautiful as is, but painting the front door and maybe adding shutters would bring it more life. I was thinking black door and a taupe-y grey shutter. Maybe a black shingle roof when it needs replaced. There are plantation shutters that are visible from the outside up close that match the house color. We are removing the tree blocking the windows and would love to change the landscaping to more our style, i.e. Blue spruce trees and prairie grasses in the future. The inside will be industrial farm house style. What are your thoughts?

Comments (15)

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    8 years ago
    If you do use shutters get them the right size, large enough to cover the Windows if closed, I think prairie style would be great for your home ,but I would add timber shutters accents etc, with a timber front door, then I would use copper accents as in lighting and house numbers
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    8 years ago
    I happen to love your roof and the color
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    8 years ago
    Timber shutters
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    8 years ago
    Timber accents
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    8 years ago
    I would also remove the heavy bushes
  • Alisha S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Yes, a neighboring house has timber shutters and I like the look of that as well. You can't see the garage doors from the front, but can upon driving to the house and I'd like to do ones that look like wood or barn doors, so I wouldn't want to overwhelm the wood look. We will also need some sort of fence and a wood one would be the only way to go imo for privacy sake, even though I think a black wrought iron would be beautiful.
  • Alisha S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Back view and door detail.
  • Jen Herter
    8 years ago

Beautiful house! I would definitely add shutters and paint the door. I also think it could really look good to paint the little bit of siding you have. I like neutrals or even a pretty grey/blue for the siding and then the timber accents for the door and shutters. Here's a pic of the color combo. Obviously your stucco could still be white to give it more contrast but you get the idea.

woodlawn residence · More Info

• PRO
    Blade Runners Services LLC
    8 years ago
    Where is the house located? I run a 3D Landscape Design program for my clients and could possibly help. We have samples on our Houzz page and also on Youtube.com.

A house with that style should feel natural and have a 4 seasons worth of interest. A mix of colors that will bring it all together. Sun exposure is key for areas near the house and make sure that the spacing is good 5-10 years from installation.

Blade Runners Services LLC if we can be of service for you
  • Alisha S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    We are in south central Kansas along the Oklahoma boarder. :)
  • Alisha S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Very true about the roof; I see that it's about 40% or so of the front facade and that would be too heavy.

There is definitely no room for gables (which I love). We were planning an addition and renovation on the house we just sold to follow the craftsman style. (Photo one)

With the tree...my hubby hates it, plus the inspector had a few negative things to say about it. We'd opt for a spiral spruce or some thing else (I've always wanted a Japanese Maple). It's concealing the laundry room which also has beautiful plantation shutters.

Yes I love the retaining wall that's present.

I was definitely thinking large chunky black lighting with a grey door (initially) and I really love your idea of painting the side windows white as well and just having the door itself pop.

Thanks for all of your input, libradesigneye!
  • Alisha S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I will be putting it in a visualizer too and can't wait to see options. If anyone has any good ones they know of, I'd appreciate those. Also I'd love to know what people use for interior visualization. I've used floorplanner.com to create plans, but I'd like to somehow digitally alter my photos with design choices to realistically visualize flooring and such. (Mostly because my husband is unable to do it in his head :)
  • libradesigneye
    8 years ago

Power point or photo shop let you cut and layer ideas onto photos of your room - but I'm so wonky, think apple has easy tools that us engineers don't have . .

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

Here is your home........cropped and lightened up for your use.

There is really only enough room for properly sized shutters for the garage window.

Alisha S thanked BeverlyFLADeziner