Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klp424

At what height should I hang my curtain rod? What length curtain?

Klp
8 years ago
Its 92" from floor to crown molding and 86" floor to top of window. Here is the room first three pictures. I had bought 84' for windows near table and 63' for behind couch. I think I will have to get longer. What are your thought and suggestions?

Comments (7)

• izeve
    8 years ago

I would put the rods half way between the crown and the top of the trim. Then buy longer curtains and hem them so they just touch the floor. All curtains the same length. Pull your couch away from the window so that there is room for the curtains.

• jck910
    8 years ago

You have lovely molding and a great room. I would hate to see you cover the molding. I would prefer you do an inset roman shade so the molding isn't covered and then all the windows could be the same. You don't have room for panels on the windows on the sides of the French door. BUT if you want panels then the rod should be hung 1/2 way between the top of the window molding and the crown molding. It should extend about 8-9" wider than the window. The panels should be long enough to just touch the floor. Each panel should be 2 1/2 times the width of the window. Even though you may not close them it should look like you can. They should just cover the molding on the sides, not totally off like you have it now and not covering any glass. Hope this helps

• leelee
    8 years ago

You could also do plantation shutters. Then you never need to worry about drapes again. They increase the value of your home and are easy operate...close the bottom but keep the tops open.

A big no to the grommet drapes you have pictured above.

It doesn't look like you have room to stack drapes on both sides of all your windows--esp. between the windows and the doors. The very worst look would be drapes that are too short and too skimpy (not full enough). Drapes should be 2 to 2.5 times the width of the window. So for 40 inch wide windows you'll need 80 to 100 inches of drapes depending on the fabric.

Klp thanked leelee
  • bostondoggy2
    8 years ago
    Put rod right under your crown molding. End your curtains 1-2 inches off the floor. I personally would not want them to gather on floor in a room that can get dirty like dining room.

The longer the curtain the taller the ceilings look and the bigger the room looks.

I agree plantation would look nice to but they really cut light levels.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

I agree with roman shades in a nice fabric to keep the trim uncovered. As for plantation shutters everyone on here knows how much I dislike them. They cut down on views light and are a pain to keep clean.

• kellyslobodian
    8 years ago

I would put he rod right below the molding and have long drapes to the floor that makes your ceiling look high and tailored windows with drapes that flow and drape closed.You should be able to get drapes correct length 82" or what ever or hem.