Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
d1car

Need advice for living room

d1car
8 years ago

I would like to change the color of the room to make it brighter and replace the orange sofa with one that is smaller as well as the large wing chair with one that is a little more contemporary. I need help help with wall color and fabrics for two new furniture pieces.

Comments (32)

• Diane Land
    8 years ago

Could we see a picture of the wall to the left of the gold sofa too ? First off , you have too many pieces of furniture in this space. My suggestion would be to remove both the orange couch and the large wing chair and the tiny end table ( which I had a twin of that is easily 100 years old). Move the chest that is to the right of the gold couch, to the wall where the orange sofa is now. Put the small round end table that is by the window in the space where the chest was ( so the tan chair sitter can access it.) I would suggest removing the orange valances and orange pillow. Here is a mock up of this suggestion( sorry forgot your coffee table)- FP with windows on the right:

Just guessing size as I don't have your dimensions.

• Diane Land
    8 years ago

And I played with your furniture ( still don't know what that other wall looks like) and I moved your couch in this mock up , facing the fireplace. Switched the side tables from the last mock up as well - did remember your coffee table:

• jck910
    8 years ago

Wow, that is a lot of furniture for the room. What do you use the room for? You also have 2 different styles going on in there. The camel back sofa is more formal than all your casual recliners. First before choosing a paint color: is the rug staying? If yes then use your art as inspiration for colors. If no: what type of rug will you get: area or wall-to-wall? I would get rid of the mirror over the FP. It doesn't reflect anything as it is too high. Place the art that is over the gold sofa over the FP. Both pieces of art have blue so that may be your jumping off point. Once you answer these questions we can give more help

d1car thanked jck910
  • Architectural Notice
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I agree with the other comments that there is too much furniture in the room.

Also, the room does not appear modern.

My suggestion would be to replace the orange sofa with a bench.

d1car thanked Architectural Notice
  • PRO
    Tara Tosh Kennedy Art Studio
    8 years ago

I agree with too much furniture. Generally, it's not a great idea to put a mirror over a fireplace because it's a strange sensation to not be able to see yourself in it because it's too high up. Unless your decor is extremely modern or at least matching in that they are one or a mix of taupe, white, or black, or dark brown, it's hard to make a mantle and fireplace surround like yours look contemporary. I'd paint it much darker or much lighter. I see no problem with the wall colour. Bigger art hung a smidgen lower would be good over the couch. Nice start!

d1car thanked Tara Tosh Kennedy Art Studio
  • eveuchan
    8 years ago
    I think the wall color is fine. I'd paint the fireplace white to match your trim. If the orange sofa is in good condition, I'd keep that one and get rid of the gold sofa.
  • d1car
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for all your comments all good points that I need to consider and act on. The room is 20' long and 17'-4" wide. It is our main living area that is used for the TV and entertaining. I have attached a photo of the wall to the left as requested. It holds the TV and an entertainment stand. It also is where you enter the room from the front door foyer area. To keep the traffic flow we have to maintain an aisle along this wall that is approximately 5'. I have already thought about removing the mirror and replacing with the art that hangs over the yellow sofa. We are working with a limited budget so did not want to replace the wall to wall carpet. We are trying to find more updated pieces over time to replace most of the furniture in this room, but want a mix of antiques as well. Hope everyone sees this response not sure about how to navigate this site yet.

Thanks again for all your replies

• PRO
    Omega Stone Mantels
    8 years ago

Too many varieties. Try to minimize the seats. Keep it fresh and simple like this..

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Remove the orange sofa and the brown chair. Keep the 2 red and the gold sofa. Move chest by dining wall. Get an area rug to tie the colors together. Replace the orange valances with some drapes

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

Here is a suggested layout and I would recommend you 86 the valances and replace them with drapery panels to match the yellow sofa. I would not replace the orange sofa with another sofa, but a matched pair or lounge chairs.

• lhutch13
    8 years ago
    I would move tv to where the orange sofa is and put a sideboard where the tv is.
  • jck910
    8 years ago

Great, didn't see TV in first pictures. With the layout you have now, it seems the 2 chairs by the FP are the best for seeing the TV. The wing chair must block the view from the orange sofa area and the other chair faces away. I'm stumped as to best layout. I'm thinking the TV could go on the wall where orange sofa is but that causes hassle with the wiring. Hope someone else has better ideas.

• Marci
    8 years ago
    I think you have good suggestions. Too much furniture. Merely moving to another room or donating or selling the excess pieces will open up the room. You have interesting art. The things that scream "No!" to me are the valences. They really "age" the room. Floor length panels are the way to go.
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Little crude , but the idea is there.

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Of course drapes to the floor :>)

• apple_pie_order
    8 years ago

How many people do you need seating for?

• d1car
    Original Author
    8 years ago

WOW there are so many ideas I'm having a hard time synthesizing. I would like seating for as many as possible when we entertain we usually have at least 8-10. This Thanksgiving there will be 14.

I would like to change the wall color for sure and was thinking a lighter shade of what is there. There are only two windows and they face east so room seems a little dark. Saw the green that was proposed, but not sure. Any other suggestions?

Dilemma now is which sofa to get rid of. The orange is a hand me down that is at least 75 years old, but refuses to die and a good style. The yellow is newer, but style is not exactly right.

Like the drapery idea thats for sure.

What would anybody think of putting the TV above the fireplace?

• susan2494
    8 years ago

You need to get rid of the orange sofa. The yellow fits much better in the room. If you move the wingback over next to it the styles are a good match. Refresh the pillows and the drapes. I don't see an issue with the wall paint, is it off white? You do not need to put TV over FP, It is fine on that wall. Move the chest in the corner by sofa over against the wall after removing orange sofa. I would also get rid of the brown chair that is beside the yellow sofa in your photos. Move these around and then see what you think.

• apple_pie_order
    8 years ago

Thanks for info. You can move some chairs to other rooms for everyday, then bring them in when you have 14 people over.

• susan2494
    8 years ago

When arranging your furniture it is a good idea to think about how many people you need to accommodate on a regular basis. Meaning everyday. We all need extra seating on special occasions but we don't fill a room full of chairs for special dinners.

I am talking about removing the orange and 1 chair. Bring in chairs from dining room for those occasions you need more seating.

• d1car
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Can I find the rug, art and pillows inserted into my photo.

• d1car thanked Diane Land
  • d1car
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Should the drapery panels everyone is suggesting be yellow

If I get rid of the orange sofa and brown chair and replace with two matching chairs what type would you suggest? Would something with a higher back work

• Diane Land
    8 years ago

I like the gold drapes...

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Here is painting, but might be a little too much yellow rather than gold. Regarding the curtains, just look locally for a shad of gold that goes with sofa and the rug. Buy them last.

http://www.art.com/products/p11786496-sa-i1423507/paul-ranson-apple-tree-with-red-fruit-c-1902.htm?aff=conf&ctid=257607562&rfid=547673&tkid=0&ui=3cecfade84fb4fe4bf1f383491506b6b

• susan2494
    8 years ago

I would not replace the brown chair. Just move the wingback into it's place and get it out of the entryway from DR. I understand you are losing some seating, but the room will flow much better.

• ecpt
    8 years ago

Do not put the TV over the fireplace, it will be way too high.