Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jfrancl

Need help with bathtub - awkward space

jfrancl
8 years ago

We are remodeling a small bathroom. We have space for a 72" x 32" tub, but we've only found one three flanged tub in that size, and my wife wasn't a fan.

How about this idea ... we do a 66" x 32" [or 30"] tub, and then a deck against the wall opposite the faucet. The deck give us a small "shelf" or a little extra space to lean against during bath time for the kids, etc.

That make sense? Any other ideas? We can't furr out the entire wall by 6", because that would impede a window that is pretty much center on the 72" wide space above the bathtub.

Thanks for any insights!

Comments (14)

• charleee
    8 years ago

The deck sounds reasonable, I'd just watch out for two things - one is that it's a very 70's or 80's look, probably 70's because I remember people putting paneling there; and two, be careful what materials you use on top. Marble is timeless and since it's a small area shouldn't be too costly. I wouldn't put tile; maybe a solid surface could work.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

There are many drop in tubs why not go that route instead if this is just a tub with no shower.

• _sophiewheeler
    8 years ago

Not gonna work if it's a tub shower situation. You need all three walls flanged and no window.

• jfrancl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks all

Charlee ... ouch, we're not looking for a 70s look!!

Patricia ... I neglected to mention, but it's a tub with shower

Sophie ... I don't follow why the window doesn't work in a shower tub ... it's sort of a venting window at five feet high

Unfortunately, no silver bullet thus far...

• acm
    8 years ago

I don't think a deck ledge is dated, and it's very convenient for storage. Plunge ahead!

Eco Transitional · More Info

Presidio Heights Residence · More Info

Apartment · More Info

jack and jill bathroom · More Info

• jfrancl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Good news. I found a 72" x 32" tub from Hydro Systems (the Sydney) that fits our "alcove." So no need for the deck. Appreciate the responses.

• charleee
    8 years ago

It's so true, you always find things when you stop looking......

• charleee
    8 years ago

Uncle! What's a flange?

• susanalanandwrigley
    8 years ago
    Charlee, a flange is what goes between the wall and the tub to direct water back into the tub...at least that is my lay person's understanding after a few months of learning about tubs while planning our reno. Basically keeps water out of the walls. Different water issues for a tub that also functions as a shower vs one that is a tub only. An expert is free to come along and correct me, or clarify, I won't be insulted.
  • charleee
    8 years ago

Got it! Thank you susanalanandwrigley! I makes sense to me!

• jfrancl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

susanalanandwrigley,

Thanks for sharing. Why didn't you like the Sydney? I would say that our primary motivation is fitting the space. The bathroom is a kid/guest bathroom. We aren't big bath people, and the kids should get wet regardless of the tub brand! Ha.

Thanks again

• susanalanandwrigley
    8 years ago
    I don't recall exactly but I think it had to do with angle of the back. We were looking for something comfortable to soak in. It should be fine for bathing the kids and as I recall, I did like the look of it!
    jfrancl thanked susanalanandwrigley
  • jfrancl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh, cool, that's great. Thanks again for the color.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz