Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
niawag

Dish washer drawer under sink but offset ? Tight space compromise

niawag
8 years ago

I'm working in a tight NYC apt space with many plumbing constraints. The kitchen is an L, with main working counter at rear and supplementary aisle (not strictly a butler's pantry as it must also accommodate washer & dryer under counter) connecting to dining room. The main work space of kitchen --the rear portion --will include a good-sized sink and a regular dishwasher. This is where I will wash pots and pans, bakeware, etc.

There will be little eat-in space in the rear kitchen-- just a stool under the counter. Dinner, snacks, breakfast, entertaining one or many guests-- it will happen in the dining room. My guess is that it would be incredible convenient to have at least a small dishwasher for cups and plates in that pantry area, though not an the expense of substituting a tiny bar sink for a regular sink.

I'm working with about 33" adjacent to the under-counter clothes washer. Could I: 1) install a framework to support the 33" counter section and a shallow 6" under mount sink in this area; 2) install a single dishwasher drawer under the sink offset to one side, probably the right, so that there would be space for the sink plumbing (no disposers allowed); 3) install cabinet doors/panels around the dishwasher to integrate with other cabinetry. Functionally this would mean that one could rinse a dish at the left end of the sink before placing it in the dish drawer slightly to the right without having to stand all the way off to the side as would be necessary with an entirely under-sink dishwasher. The accessible sliver of this sink would be as wide as the disposer section included in some divided sinks, so maybe not so bad?

Any thoughts? Appreciate your input! Thank you.

Comments (3)