Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lacea

Living Room SOS! Nothing but greys and blacks, what do I do?

lacea
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hey all, first time posting, I really hope someone sees this! I need some help, I feel like I've done the worst job decorating lately :( My main floor in townhome is all open concept. We have a large grey charcoal couch we love and existing light grey paint on the walls with beige carpets (ugh, but we rent so changing this isnt an option).

Between lamps, curtains, pillows etc I just am completely LOST as to how to style this main floor that still feels cozy and warm! I love neutrals (shocker) so bright colors are out of the question, but it's just so boring!
ANY ideas on how to warm this place up (and even better, links to where?) would be so very much appreciated. This can include anything except removing the couch basically lol.

ps am i crazy for hating the kitchen set?

Thanks for reading.

Comments (47)

• decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

You've done a great job. All you need to do is pick a bright color you love and replace the pillows and throw, then add an accent rug to slip under the front 1/3 of the sofa. Then add accessories in the same color, sprinkled throughout. Here are some pillows to jump start your process of choosing a color to add to your spaces.

Helen Storm Floral Pillow, Yellow and Gray · More Info

Laurie Baars "Textured Triangles Green" Gray White Throw Pillow, Outdoor, 18" x · More Info

Aqua Gray Floral 18"x18" Pillow Set of 2 · More Info

Magna And Fynn Cinnamon Orange And Gray Decorative Throw Pillows, Set of 4, 18x1 · More Info

lacea thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Jillian - Interior design student
    8 years ago

Yellow. Doesn't have to be bold. Yellow and gray are a great combo.

Geometric Pattern Gold/ Grey Area Ru · More Info

Marble 18-inch Throw Pillow · More Info

lacea thanked Jillian - Interior design student
  • PRO
    Interiors By Deborah Beaman LLC
    8 years ago

You cold always incorporate some softer color, that's not bold or bright, into your space. For example, take the matting out of your picture frames and get some craft paint, say in pale yellow like your dining chairs (I think that's what color they are...), and spray them, and put them back. Instant color! You could also do the same with your lamp shades, of course some color in the pillows, and a throw on the sofa would help. How about candles and/or flowers on the table? How about some nice colorful glass pieces to go on top of the book shelves? Say from Home Goods? Grey goes with everything, and very classic! Nice space really! Good luck!

lacea thanked Interiors By Deborah Beaman LLC
  • lacea
    Original Author
    8 years ago

You all have amazing suggestions thank you so much, my mother constantly comments on all the grey and it being drab :P so thank you for perking up my day!

The problem is, I've never been one for color, even my closet looks like a jcrew color scheme with navys, blacks, whites and greys. So if I've never gravitated to any color, is there a happy medium? Even decor items for centerpieces and candles confuse me so i end up leaving stores empty handed lol

• PRO
    Interiors By Deborah Beaman LLC
    8 years ago

Just incorporate lots of texture with your grey palette. It's all about what you enjoy in your own space. Soft or pale hints of color that may draw your eye? Experiment.

lacea thanked Interiors By Deborah Beaman LLC
  • decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

How about husband - does he have a favorite color you'd consent to? Or go for metallics - here's silver with gray.

Lattice Trellis Gray Pillow Covers, Art Silk 14x14 Pillows Cover, Gray N Silver · More Info

Loloi Inc. Pillow, Gray and Silver, 18"x18" · More Info

lacea thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Jillian - Interior design student
    8 years ago

Don't be afraid to take baby steps. Go out and buy some throw pillows and a decorative box for under the console table in a color of your choice, just not gray. "Test drive" the look for a few days - you can always return the items. Try a bowl of lemons or green apples for the table. Keep us posted on your progress!

lacea thanked Jillian - Interior design student
  • Sigrid
    8 years ago

I, personally, would like more color. On the other hand, your LR is elegant and coordinated. Is the problem *you* don't find it cozy or that your mother doesn't find it cozy? Maybe you need to say this is your taste. It's good taste, just not shared with me (or, I suspect, your mother).

If you want to add to your decor without more color, you might choose a few things with more sparkle ---glass, silver, etc. Your lamp is exactly the sort of thing I mean. Your table is a bit bare, you could get a bowl, some candlesticks, etc. Again, silver or glass would work.

If your mother has lots of stuff she doesn't use, you could try shopping at her house. Then you can say, I like gray, and seeing the candlesticks that used to be yours makes me feel warm and fuzzy --- cozy.

lacea thanked Sigrid
  • Tems
    8 years ago

Very nice place already.

You don't need to add color to make it more interesting necessarily. You would need some more interesting furniture for starters. The coffee table and side table are putting me to sleep they are so basic. The table lamp is not the worst but it could have more of a design going on. Cant really afford to have any boring pieces in that area.

The pillows and throw need more textures, preferably warm and comfortable. Like felt and knitted and stuff.

Gallery wall is great but slightly cramped and squashed looking.

• libradesigneye
    8 years ago

Perhaps at the holiday, you could add some red and white graphic pillows. Think of them like jewelry you can take off again. Yellow is another choice but might fight with your cream and beiges .. I'm not seeing you happier with brighter cobalt (wrote before I saw beverley's lovely mock up)

One thing to do is to leave the basics, but invest in one really gorgeous oversized piece of art for christmas (a gift from Santa to you both?). Hang it at the foot of the stairs. I tend to agree with the "add texture" people, and have one more menswear sort of suggestion - why not stick with your menswear tones but add camel and more oatmeal tones back to cream ..

Layer your neutrals - camel and gray, gold and silver, mixed metallics neutrals? You are at the stage where you should not buy things, you should only INVEST in things you will love all your life. Modern lined camel leather chairs?

lacea thanked libradesigneye
  • Tems
    8 years ago

This lamp is horrible but nice

Sofa table with concrete perhaps(I have no idea where to get one)?

Side table maybe maybe not

• sheilaskb
    8 years ago

I think the dark grey sectional looks wonderful against the walls and carpet which appear to be ivory-beige on my computer. I would suggest that you separate the sectional and move each piece to a separate wall to create an elongated L-shape. In between the pieces you could locate an end table with a crystal-base lamp and a fairly small green leafy plant for a bit of color and freshness in the room. You might choose a pastel, such as light blue, as an accent color and use it sparingly to avoid a boring look. I think the dining set looks fine as it is.

lacea thanked sheilaskb
  • lacea
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Jillian, totally agree on the baby steps...kinda funny how you get stuck in a design rut and fear buying anything because it's different! Loving the "menswear" theme everyone has going on here...thanks for pinpointing the word libradesign :)

Husband always leans towards brown/tan (i know, match made in heaven in the neutral department, i swear we're fun people?! lol) but I usually don't buy any of it with this tone because I assume the creams/oatmeals will clash with the black and grey furniture going on.

and yes sigrid you're right about my taste versus my mothers, since she LOVES pastels, our tastes are just different, no right or wrong...even though she thinks shes right :P

• housegal200
    8 years ago

Jillian, Beverley, and decoenthusiaste have it. The mustard gold and gray rug layered over your wall to wall, a beautiful painting in blacks, white, grays, and a bit of gold, and a couple gold pillows will do the job you say you want--making it less boring. A layered rug, plus a painting will unify and set off a conversation section in your open living space. That adds coziness and interest. Find a big, gold tone/brass bowl for your dining table.

You've actually done a good job, but your resistance to adding some contrast or pattern results in similar tones that give you a boring, no-contrast palette--gray walls and furniture, beige, brown furniture, brown floor. Put the big painting above the couch--a big, bold one, and arrange your photos above TV and flanking bookcase. You'll see them better there in any case.

lacea thanked housegal200
  • lacea
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I can do gold! Thnx housegal, so I could get away with actually keeping the drapes and lamp shade the same then? I wasn't sure if they were completely wrong with the dark grey couch and tables...

• partim
    8 years ago

If you want to, you can mix browns and gray. Think of a warm cognac color with your dark gray. But your style looks very good too, just as it is.

Parkway · More Info

lacea thanked partim
  • lacea
    Original Author
    8 years ago

*I also live in ON, Canada and shopping is way slimmer pickings here than in the states. Here is a link to a common one used here with cheap shipping if anyone sees throw pillows I should buy for the couch would love your help! http://www.urbanbarn.com/category/d%C3%A9cor/accent+pillows.do?c=9.101056&sortby=ourPicksAscend&page=all

• partim
    8 years ago

Waving hello to lacea from Toronto.

Fabricland has a big selection of throw pillows and covers. (So does Value Village, my go-to decor place!)

lacea thanked partim
  • leelee
    8 years ago

The coffee table is too big for the sectional. It doesn't work. Too dark, also. Think about replacing it with something smaller and with a more open feel--it shouldn't stick out beyond the corner of the sofa. Round might work better for you.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

Lacea, Although i love the gold, i would like to try a slightly different path. Homecentric ships world wide and free after $150 - let me know if a problem with color or price, i have others. All these pillows are under $25.

Decorative Throw Pillow Covers | Square Cushion Covers - The HomeCentric · More Info
    and or

Decorative Throw Pillow Covers | Square Cushion Covers - The HomeCentric · More Info
    with 3 -4 of these
    Decorative Throw Pillow Covers | Square Cushion Covers - The HomeCentric : White · More Info

Decorative Pillow Covers | Designer Cushion Covers - The HomeCentric · More Info

Decorative Throw Pillow Covers | Square Cushion Covers - The HomeCentric : White · More Info
    Decorative Pillow Covers | Designer Cushion Covers - The HomeCentric · More Info

lacea thanked havingfun
  • Maureen
    8 years ago

I don't think the problem is funiture and color choices, but more to do with the wall, floor and rug feeling monotone and room needing more textures and interest. I would move the collage to over console (+ add baskets on the bottom shelf) and above the couch add large art that maybe had some rust (compliments floor tile) and add textured pillows (see last picture). I would change the chandelier and add a centrepiece. Move your mirror to wall at dining table and hang small art to the left of the tv unit. Think about layering/textures in general - room below is warm and inviting because of this. I live in Toronto and I couldn't live without HomeSense - you will find lots of accessories at wonderful prices. Have fun!

Lakeview Pied - a - Terre · More Info

"Colossus" Double Triple Light Atom Chandelier · More Info

White Gold, Large Original Oil Painting · More Info

Appartement de charme type Haussmanien · More Info

The Maryland · More Info

lacea thanked Maureen
  • PRO
    HMH Development Inc
    8 years ago

Brown and grey look lovely together. I think the black tables weigh the room down. Add texture with faux fur, woven, tweed, various shades of grey pillows and/or throws.

Minotti · More Info

Modern Living Room · More Info

lacea thanked HMH Development Inc
  • PRO
    Trendy Decor 365 LLC
    8 years ago
    Very nice set up! All of my favorite colors.
    Here's some suggestions that'll hopefully spice your living space up a bit.
    lacea thanked Trendy Decor 365 LLC
  • MarleneM
    8 years ago
    I think your room is lovely too, but agree regarding the coffee and end tables. I think a round table as suggested above would be best. Here is one from west elm that would bring another texture into space.
    lacea thanked MarleneM
  • Susan Davis
    8 years ago

I think the room needs some glow so I would deliberately invest in brass or antiqued brass accents in the room.......lamps, trays, sconces, vessels.

A little goes a long way! Start with a brass frame in your wall mix and a brass tray or bowl on the dining table and seee if it helps. Nothing in tied down and can be returned. Also a bit more mirror or shine will give you more reflection in the room and hence more brightness.

My Houzz: Garage Sale Meets Glam in Ohio · More Info

South End Townhouse · More Info

lacea thanked Susan Davis
  • PRO
    Mohairs & More
    8 years ago

Your space seems so sophisticated, perhaps it just needs a small splash of color, but don't go overboard. There have been suggestions to add texture, and great way to do this is with a throw blanket. Here are a few ideas from our Mohair Throw Blanket Collection that may work for you: The top swatches and first throw ('Mustard') are from http://mohairsandmore.com/mohair-throws-in-40-designer-hues/ and the lower blanket is 'Arctic' from http://mohairsandmore.com/designer-check-throws-in-mohair/.

lacea thanked Mohairs & More
  • PRO
    Nandina Home & Design
    8 years ago

Here is a design of ours to hopefully get you started.

Elegant Bungalow · More Info

lacea thanked Nandina Home & Design
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

well lacea, are you still with us? or did we terrify you. Are the blues a no, i will get rid of if you think so. just thought it was closer to the silver.

• mckrules
    8 years ago
    decoenthusiast is right-a pop of color would be wonderful, like a light blue, orange, or green. You could add a tan or white couch if you want to brighten up the room a bit.
    lacea thanked mckrules
  • lacea
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow! I was terrified noone would even give me the time of day, you are all such decorating badasses! Thank YOU so much for your help, was really struggling with the coziness factor and with it being open concept. You assume everything has to be matchy match.

First off - hey partim from Toronto, super close to you, great suggestions. :)

Leelee and Blue booby- i love the round table ideas, unfortunately, the coffee table and end table were purchased from Pottery barn *before* we bought the sofa. We knew it would stick out a bit, that said, they were a bloody fortune so I would rather not part with them! lol

havingfun - beautiful pillows thank you, not sure on the blues yet, but definitely considering!

Maureen- obsessed with that chandelier you posted, wow!

• havingfun
    8 years ago

let me try some lighting here.

Cathedral Lamp - Ivory | Pier 1 Imports · More Info

Table Lamps, Desk Lamps and Bedside Lamps | Pier 1 Imports · More Info

Table Lamps & Desk Lamps | Pier 1 Imports · More Info

lacea thanked havingfun
  • Ann
    8 years ago

I do hate to say it, but the coffee table is just never going to work due to being too long. All the other PB tables can work fine, but I just think you'll have to end up biting the bullet and moving that coffee table elsewhere.

• Ann
    8 years ago

I think you've got some great art, but I think the arrangements could use a little tweaking. There are a few pieces on the gallery wall that are too small and in general, I think the pieces could use a bit more space between them.

• lacea
    Original Author
    8 years ago

havingfun, are those lamps you suggested (from pier1) going on the sofa end table or the console table?

• havingfun
    8 years ago

Either, I want to say that cute roly poly would be perfect for the console table-the one by the staircase right? but, sometimes it is better to see them in location. All the lamps will glow. So even though they appear plain, they will brighten and have color play.

Tables:

i thought a bench might be nice

Upholstered Benches - Overstock Shopping - The Best Prices Online · More Info

drum side table | Joss and Main · More Info
    remember let me know if you decide against something, it is starting to get a little full.

lacea thanked havingfun
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

And I actually think these might be better.

Storage Ottoman, Black · More Info
    gosh on Houzz for $39. But still not the best, this might be too long.

Ottomans & Poufs : Living Room Furniture - Walmart.com · More Info
    Wallys $20>. But wait these are not what i want in your living room. These are your frames.

Home Decor Fabric, blue and grey, upholstery - Fabric.com · More Info

Home Decor Fabric, black and grey, upholstery - Fabric.com · More Info

Home Decor Fabric, upholstery - Fabric.com · More Info

This tweed one might look good too, still black but lighter.

Ok, you can do the top, the bottom, or all. It is very simple like wrapping a present. My vote would be you get 2, you can break them up and put in different spots, get some cool trays to use as a table. I chose these because they go with black gray and beige or they have a little blue like my idea.

I did buy another that goes with the gold idea.

lacea thanked havingfun
  • pjdavis36
    8 years ago

Love your room. If you put woven baskets in the cubbies in your coffee table and end table it will help add a natural/warm element. Then throw in a few burlap and or linen pillows on your sofa. It will soften the look. Also, consider switching out your lampshade for something lighter

lacea thanked pjdavis36
  • A Villafuerte
    8 years ago
    Hello! I have the same color palette for my living room except brown. I suggest you paint the coffee table. If you are not comfortable with bold colors, I would paint it white (or two toned) then would pick yellow for the throw pillows. Preferably with pattern for the design or combination with solid ones in different shades of yellow. I also would change the lamp shade into white and put an accent piece beside it. (White vase perhaps?)

I also agree on the suggestion to spray paint some of the frames. And then pick a nice rug :)
    lacea thanked A Villafuerte
  • A Villafuerte
    8 years ago
    Add some niece accent pieces on the console table, preferably not in neutral colors. Try one different color that you like and when you feel comfortable and confident on your decision, add more.
  • PRO
    GR Concept
    8 years ago

I love your space and its potential! My closet is almost all black/greys/white as well so I totally get you! Here is what I think:

1. Add layering to your flooring - this gives dimension and adds coziness and will totally pull every elements of the space together.

2. Add textured throw pillows. Textures is a no brainer . It adds warmth to a space.

3. Lastly, you don't have to hurry and buy all the accessories and furniture for your space. It is so much better to have a curated space that will be timeless - as it is your personal taste.

Enjoy!

If you're interested in finding the right pieces, give us a shout grconcept.inquiry@gmail.com

• laurkade
    8 years ago
    Pottery Barn currently has a nice pillow covering in gray, orange teal and green that would look nice on your sofa. ( sorry no pic -saw it in store) You could pull a color from the pillow for your throw. If that is not an option, I like the Letouorx (?) toss pillow shown in the site you posted. Love your room! You have received many really good suggestions. Love Beverly's suggestion.
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

Lacea, message if you need, unfortunately i can not take things down anymore, but you have not been here since the 19th, so i will leave now. Have a Great Christmas!

• PRO
    Poovi Art
    8 years ago

adding of a colorful original art piece will give your room a life.....

• PRO
    Carol Jean
    4 years ago

just add texture in white pillows and throws and lose picture by table find something else to many pictures

• felizlady
    4 years ago

You are living with terminal gray-beige-black-white colorlessness. Rebel! Do not give in and succumb to the trend! Look in your closet....if you find color in there, you still have a chance to live. What color do you see the most in your clothing? Okay, THAT color will become your accent color, used sparingly, to keep boredom at bay. Whether it is a soft green, blue, rust or any other color, add a few pillows, some art with actual color in it, a ceramic or glass container or bowl, an entry rug, or window treatments in your chosen boredom-crushing life-saving color. Don’t overdo it. It doesn’t have to be a BRIGHT version of your color. Three items can begin to resuscitate your boring existence. There is still hope.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    4 years ago

Old post 2015...