Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shelleyr32

What color bathroom walls to compliment new granite?

Shelley R
8 years ago

My new granite was installed yesterday in the kitchen and master bath. Now I've got to choose a color for the bathroom walls. One bathroom design article that I read suggested peach, coral, or similar colors to make your skin look better in the mirror. I need all the help that I can get, so if green walls would make my skin look green, that's not for me!

I will paint the cabinets white. I kept my existing sinks and faucets because I like them and couldn't afford to replace them. I bought oval frameless mirrors and wall sconces that are polished chrome with opaque white shades. This is my first attempt at a bathroom color. How does it look? If you don't like it, please suggest another color. I'm looking forward to suggestions from the talented Houzz community.

Comments (19)

• acm
    8 years ago

Well, I guess your white and gray are neutral enough to support most any colors, but I would have gone for a cool gray (one of the lightest tones from your counter) and a number of other colors before I got to coral. What color is your flooring?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

Can't disregard the color of your vanity which is a creamy white.

• Shelley R
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I stated above that I would paint the cabinets white. But, I really don't want gray or white walls in my bathroom. This article is a few years old, but it resonates with me. An excerpt that describes what I'm trying to achieve:

"You want colors that are flattering to the skin
    — whatever you put on the wall will be the color reflected in your
    (face's) shadows," says Jarrett Hedborg, whose celebrity clients include
    Jim Carrey, Bette Midler and Jeff Bridges. "I'll never do a green
    bathroom because cool tones tend to be unflattering and make you look
    older. Yellow is another no-no, especially if you're applying makeup,
    because it distorts your skin tone and makes you look jaundiced."

According to Jarrett, most skin tones are pink, so you want warm
    tones that will pick up that color — such as peach and rose — and create
    warm shadows."

Here's the link http://www.hgtv.com/design/rooms/bathrooms/discover-the-latest-bathroom-color-trends

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

If you put your make up on in a room with coral tones, it will make your skin look warmer and pinker than it is in real life. Then when you go out your make up will not have enough color. Keep your bright tones confined to your towels and shower curtains.

• katinparadise
    8 years ago

Coral and grey can be pretty together. I'd look for something a little more muted like this Priceless Coral by Behr.

Unfortunately, the computer never gives accurate colors so samples are the only way to really tell what you're going to get. Good luck with your project!

Shelley R thanked katinparadise
  • Shelley R
    Original Author
    8 years ago

katinparadise, I like your suggestion. I tried to find a similar color in the S-W visualizer and came up with this. It may not be the final color choice, but I think that you pointed me in the direction I wanted to go. And, re-painting the walls is the cheapest part of the bathroom if I make a mistake.

• Jillian - Interior design student
    8 years ago

Consider painting the walls a light gray or a spa-like aqua blue and install framed painted mirrors.

Lighted mirrors could provide proper lighting for makeup also.

SW Charisma with Elle Gray is a good combination.

• Geneviève
    8 years ago

GREY

The Woodshop of Avon · More Info

• katinparadise
    8 years ago

It's only paint-right? I'm sure you'll find the perfect color. Please post pics of your results!

• Shelley R
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I really appreciate all the comments and suggestions, but I'm puzzled by all the gray and white suggestions. You can find plenty of bathrooms with color right here on Houzz like these http://www.houzz.com/orange-bathroom. When I asked for other color suggestions, I meant coral/orange/pink etc. I'm not a sophisticated person and it's an old house. The spa look would not fit in here. I want a bathroom that is colorful and cheerful. I've already bought the mirrors and lights and decided to paint the cabinets white, so the wall color is the only decision that's left.

• DYH
    8 years ago

I painted my guest bath in Sherwin-Williams Tidewater. I had the ceiling and walls above the white subway painted in that color; trim work is a creamy white. It works so well with grey (I used the same color in my powder room that has a black and grey marble floor), too. Since I'm using the guest bath while my master suite is being built, I've found the color to be very flattering. My bath has morning sunlight. I have sconces with shades on either side of the medicine cabinet.

• suzyq53
    8 years ago

• Shelley R
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@suzyq53, I like that color. What is it?

• PRO
    Brick & Mortar Photography LLC
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I would go with a color that makes your bathroom look better rather than someone's skin. On a daily basis you will spend more time observing the room rather than what is in the mirror.

With the colors you currently have, a cool gray will work great! You can get subtler grays mixed with a blue or green hue and that will really give you a spa-like bathroom.

• suzyq53
    8 years ago

Its BM Coral Gables. Not too orange, not too pink. Pretty in semi-gloss for the bath.

Shelley R thanked suzyq53
  • Shelley R
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I really wanted coral. I liked it a lot, but when it came to choosing the exact color, nothing worked. They all looked dirty next to the granite. After 2 hours in Sherwin-Williams today, I went home and looked through all the paint chips I've collected. And, I found a boring light gray that looked perfect - Olympic Gray Beard. I got a sample and here are the results. It's so boring yet so perfect. Maybe I can get coral or rose to work in the other bath. I plan to take my paint sample to S-W tomorrow to have them match the color. I imagine most of you are wondering why it took me so long to get here, but I had to go through this process. I will be much happier with gray knowing that I tried other colors first.

• zzmom40
    8 years ago
    It will be so fun filling the room with coral accents!! You will appreciate the delicate wall color.
  • katinparadise
    8 years ago

I love coral myself so I understand how much you wanted to use it. If your other bathroom is neutral enough, it could work in there. Hopefully you can find some fun accessories to brighten it up and you'll come to love it!