Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wiljam

Need help with home office/craft room layout

wiljam
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi all!

We're building a house and are trying to plan a layout for our home office/craft room. Our goal is to have two desks for computers and a craft table plus some storage. The room must have enough room to move around with a wheelchair. I know it sounds like a lot to ask, but the computer desks can be very small. They only need to have enough room for a screen, a keyboard and a mouse.

All the designs we have come up with look unappealing and all the furniture just ends up along the walls... The space is 4000 mm x 3300 mm large and has a big window, french doors and a slanted ceiling.

We have a clean slate to work with and can get all new furniture. We have a very clear idea of how the space should look, but a functional layout is hard to come up with.

I have attached a 3D-model of the room and some inspirational pictures. I'm looking forward to seeing your suggestions!

Comments (10)

• Tracy Taylor
    8 years ago

What are the dimesions of the door and do the doors swing into the room or out of the room?

• hayleydaniels
    8 years ago

What exactly is your question? What to do for a desk that will accommodate a wheelchair? Please clarify.

• Tracy Taylor
    8 years ago

So excuse my color scheme, but check out this layout . I was thinking the desks could be near the window for natural light. They could have open or closed storage above. They could also merge into the craft table to spread out if more work needed to get done or the chairs could be pulled over to craft. I used benches at the end of the craft area so they could be completely slid underneath when not in use and out of the way of the wheel chair. Then on eitherside of the door and even above the door you could do massive built in storage for printer, craft supplies, etc. The craft table is area 108 in long x 42 in wide. from the window the chair on the end. The benches are 44in x 20in. Desk areas are eah 42in long x 20in deep. The bookcases on either side of the doors are 32in wide x 16in deep. If you went with smaller benches you could tuck the benches under the desks even.

• Tracy Taylor
    8 years ago

My question was regarding the width of the door and if when you open the french door it swings into the office or if it swings out towards you. I based the plans above on a 60 in wide set of french doors. I must mention this only works with a thinner pedestal legs or trellis stratigically placed on either side of the benches in the middle of the table. or tables with corner legs. Here are ideas of legs, but you could do a wood, formica, granite, cement top... really any solid surface.

• wiljam
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Tracy, thank you for your input! The idea is actually something we could consider. The door is 1500 mm wide and the doors can swing any way we want them to, I think we will make them swing out of the room.
  • wiljam
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hayley, the question was: how to arrange furniture in the room (is this not called "layout"? English is not my first language...) to make it suitable for our needs and look beautiful. And I mentioned the wheelchair because it requires lot of space around the furniture to move around the room, not because I can't find a suitable desk.
  • Abby T
    6 years ago

Facing countertops would look nice with stools and an island in the middle ( or near the window ) one counter area could be dedicated to crafts one to work. There could be a little sofa bench thingamajiger at the island!

• Abby T
    6 years ago

Simpli Home Milltown Small Living Room Bench, Gray · More Info

Industrial Brown Wood Storage Unit 50203 · More Info

• Abby T
    6 years ago

• Ana Urban
    6 years ago

I am in a similar dilemma! I would love to know what you ended up doing with the space :)