Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christy25

Suggestions for White, Classic, Everyday Dishes That Won't Scratch????

christy25
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I desperately need new dishes for everyday use. I just want plain white in a classic style, BUT I want dishes that won't scratch. I'm not too crazy about Corelle, and I know stoneware will scratch (like Pfaltzcraft), but some reviews seem to show even porcelain will scratch. Also I don't want to spend a fortune. There are a lot of options at Target, Home Goods, etc. but I'm not sure which ones don't scratch - does anyone have some that you are happy with?? Thank You :)

Comments (14)

• printesa
    8 years ago

My everyday are Corelle, but I also bought some antique Haviland Limoges that get used daily..They are not pure white, but they don't scratch. You might want to look on ebay or etsy for some white dishes. I don't know what your budget is, but you can find nice ones that look new for a long time. We got a Rosenthal set for my in-laws and they are beautiful. I've seen them in white as well.
    I have a set by Apilco, but those might be a bit too expensive. Just to give you an idea, a salad plate is about $15. They don't scratch:)

christy25 thanked printesa
  • christy25
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I guess you get what you pay for - maybe I have to save up :) I do like the fact that they aren't made in China.

• mariekylco
    8 years ago

I have at least 15 year old set from Crate and Barrel, I don't think they scratched, but I did have a few chips of the years.

christy25 thanked mariekylco
  • printesa
    8 years ago

Yes, I stay away from things made in China as much as possible, especially for things that touch food

• Maureen
    8 years ago

Wait for sales for sure so you can get a good quality. I used Mikasa china for my everyday set for years and they never got scratched. http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/thebay/home/dinnerware-serveware/lucerne-white-40-piece-dinnerware-set

christy25 thanked Maureen
  • cupofkindnessgw
    8 years ago

About two years ago I gave my Corning Ware Corelle to my college aged daughter for her apartment and bought Mikasa Antique White. Not all Mikasa dishes are china, the rather ornate ones like the French pattern or Italian Countryside are stoneware. Antique White is china and very durable. You can buy it on Amazon too.

I was so happy to get rid of the Corelle-which I had for 25+ years-because when it dropped it smashed into shards. I still have a large collection of Corningware French White bowls and serving pieces in every size imaginable. Love French White ceran pieces. No glaze, just beautiful, durable glass. Anyway, since I have a very large family, I bought two 8 piece Antique White sets. At the time, the sets came with a creamer/sugar bowl and a large round platter, plus an open vegetable bowl. Each set was $199 but BBB took a coupon and gave me a $50 gift card for each. So the cost was closer to $110. Maybe BBB has a special deal going on now for the holidays.

Ideally, I would sell my absolutely lovely fine china Wedgwood all-white embossed/ patterned dishses called Strawberry and Vine because these Mikasa dishes are classy enough to use on formal occasions. Remarkably, I stopped by BBB two days ago and the display version of the 45 piece set was on clearance by dish type/size. It must have been on the floor for years. I bought eight more luncheon plates for $20. Such a deal! These smaller plates are the go-to dishes in our house. Antique White is a creamy, warm white, not bright like Corelle, but I would not call it beige or ivory either. I've been very happy with it. Lots of accessory pieces. Check Macy's as well, sometimes they have fabulous deals on dishes and silverware. Let us know what you decide.

christy25 thanked cupofkindnessgw
  • Valerie Kasindi
    8 years ago
    I highly, highly recommend Alessi PlateBowlCup dinnerware. I have the dinner plates, soup bowls, and a couple of serving pieces. I purchased them almost one year ago, use them on a daily basis and they look brand new. They do not have a single scratch or chip on them and they are dishwasher safe. They sell them online at All Modern, YLiving, and Lumens. They are moderately priced (one plate runs about $15, one soup bowl about $11) but these three retailers run 20% off sales on Alessi products about 2-3 times a year. I always wait for a sale to purchase them. Each piece has a nice weight to it and a lip around the edges so the quality is top notch. It's made of white porcelain. They look and feel like they should be special occasion dishes so for the price, you are getting a great value. You cannot go wrong with these dishes. I absolutely love them!
    christy25 thanked Valerie Kasindi
  • Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

porcelain instead of stoneware, the thinner the better, as its more durable. meanwhile try barkeepers friend on your scratched dishes, i use it on my le cruset casseroles that always get marked up by Someone using metal spatulas when i'm not looking.

christy25 thanked Judy Mishkin
  • christy25
    Original Author
    8 years ago

gardenwebcupofkindness - do you have a link you can post of the ones you are referring to? I have a BBB 5 minutes from my house.

• Ann
    8 years ago

Another vote for Crate and Barrel. I bought the Hue collection in white and they're wonderful. No scratches at all!

christy25 thanked Ann
  • cupofkindnessgw
    8 years ago

Christy,

Sorry for the delayed reply. If you search on BBB you will find the set. Cheaper at BBB than Amazon, Macy's, or the Mikasa website. Good luck!

• alicejean
    8 years ago
    Mikasa HK600-201
  • User
    8 years ago

I've had Crate and Barrel Bennett square dishes for the past 4 years, not a single scratch, intact. Very elegant and durable.